Anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush?

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Is anyone planning on doing 25k or 30k mile fluid flush? Radiator, transmission, etc etc.?
My dealership has a 30k mile recommended maintenance and outside of oil change, tire rotation, air filter, cabin filter, the remainder is fluid flushes. They have it marked at $1,000 and curious what others thoughts on flushing fluids at that mileage is.
This is my first brand new vehicle so I’ve never had to make these decisions this early on.
Sponsored

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
As per the owners manual of my 2023 BS OBX, transmission fluid is recommended to be changed at 150,000 miles and the coolant's good for 200,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. You're wasting money, and throwing away fluids that are not even close to 25% of their service life at 30,000 miles. And don't just change the filters "because it's time", change them if they're dirty/clogged. I go through 2-3 cabin filters a year per vehicle, but only 1 air filter every 20,000 km (16,000ish miles) which works out to about one every two years or so. The dealership makes their money from the service department, and the service advisors are encouraged to upsell maintenance packages. Don't fault them, they're just doing their jobs. But I would advise you to decline the fluid flushes, as it's not recommended at that mileage.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Dealer will always try to sell you services which are not required by the manufacture. You are free to do as you will with your money, but you can’t go wrong by following the manufacturers maintenance intervals listed on the owners manual. Anything above and beyond that is personal preference.

BillC

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
And in case you're wondering, I was a technician at my local Ford dealer for a few years in the early 2000's before jumping over to the local GM superstore (same owner) to handle the Goodwrench department. I didn't specialize in one manufacturers product, I worked on them all and have gobs of experience searching service requirements, specifications and procedures. I'm not a so-called master technician, but after 30+ years of turning wrenches, I'm a damn good mechanic.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
I think it’s just a money grab if ya ask me, I wouldn’t think of changing those fluids to at least 90,k I would only change those fluids “IF” the Owners Manual “recommends” it and that’s a big “if” todays fluids last a lot longer than say 20 years ago. Ya maybe the “Dealer“ recommends it but what does the owners manual say. Well according to the owners manual at 30k it’s mostly “Inspect”
HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS AT YOUR 30,000 MILES CHECKUP
  • Replace engine air filter(s).
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake.
  • Inspect engine cooling system level, strength and hoses.
  • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields.
  • Inspect half-shaft boots.
  • Inspect rear axle and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
  • Inspect the automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with a dipstick). Consult your dealer for requirements.
  • Inspect the wheels and related components for abnormal noise, wear, looseness or drag.
  • Inspect tires and check tire pressures.
  • Perform multi-point inspection.
  • Rotate the tires, inspect tire wear and measure tread depth.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Preventive maintenance is a double-edged sword. Every time someone unscrews, uncaps, loosens, or releases a screw, reservoir, bolt, or latch there is a chance it doesn't get put back together correctly. Search on Google for the Waddington Effect for an interesting read.

Ford spends a great deal of time and money testing its vehicles. It torture tests wear and service items like fluids to determine how far they can be pushed. Imagine running your engine for the equivalent of 30K miles without changing the oil...in the desert...in the summer. The data Ford collects during these test is the basis for its recommended maintenance intervals. I like to base my decisions on data.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I'm at 7k on My FE, and my wife is at 2k on her BS. I have time to think about 30k.

May do the PTU and rear differential fluids. Here's FordTechMakucloco discussing.

2020+ AWD Ford Escape: Power Transfer Unit Service Procedure - YouTube

2020+ Ford Escape Rear Differential Fluid Service - YouTube

DIY is much easier for these two on the 4G than 3G Escape, as he mentions, which carries over to the BS.

Check under Maintenance in the owner's manual. It's way in the back. Some interesting things. For example, ATF change moved to every 30k if towing or using rooftop carrier!

And 30k may be around 3 years for a lot of people. Brake fluid change is now in the Maintenance section every 3 years.

Last edited:

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I recently had my old Honda at the dealership for some services (oil, brakes since I had a really good coupon).

They gave me their suggestion of work that needed to be done. Replace the radiator since it was leaking, replace the battery since it was leaking, valve cover gasket (that was true). They missed a cracked air tube, leaking steering rack, leaking VTEC solenoid, and low windshield washer fluid that they couldn't be bothered to fill.

I blamed them for cracking the air tube since they also said my air filter was dirty and they should have disconnected it first so either they're incompetent (that break was very obvious) or they lied about the air filter. He said he pays his techs to add stuff to the tickets.

A couple of years ago they said I needed a new compliance bushing. I've taken it several times since and I've never been told that again.

I don't know if all shops do this but this makes me really distrust what they say.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... air filter, cabin filter ...
These two are really easy DIY, too. The cabin filter is now in much easier to access than on my previous 3G Escape. It's very easy to swap out. Lots of Youtube videos on the cabin air filter.

Cabin air filter is every 20k. Engine air filter is every 30k.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... He said he pays his techs to add stuff to the tickets.
I had my 3G Escape in for the transmission shift cable bushing recall last December. Of course they did a multipoint inspection. $1,159.96 of work recommended.

Service advisor told me that rear brakes are metal on metal, and I am hearing grinding noise when braking. No, I was not.

Seriously, she actually told me what I was hearing.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
subie caliper froze up
suspected cause....lack of use
friggiddity dual pistons
explore options
opt for exercising cup
clamp free moving piston in place
work the daylights out of the trouble maker
give it the ole' in and out treatment

what I learned in the process
recommended brake fluid interval change
20,000 or 2 years
brake fluid
whodathunkit

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in Fords after 32 years of VW/Audi. They are also 2-year brake fluid changes.

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver
I haven't had to deal with the BS yet (only 887 miles so far), but I took my F-150 Platinum into the dealership for its second oil change at 15,000 miles (Ford recommends every 10k, but I do 7.5K), Dude at the service bay tried selling me on a brake fluid flush. I just looked at him and asked, so does Ford know that you are accusing them of using such crappy brake fluid that you are saying it has broken down at 15,000 miles? He dropped it.

My $.02 - use forums like this to ask what should happen at whatever service interval you are going in for and use the Ford recommended service. Ford Motor Company has no interest in screwing you for stuff you don't need - the dealerships however do. Be informed and then just decline all but what you came for.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I had my 3G Escape in for the transmission shift cable bushing recall last December. Of course they did a multipoint inspection. $1,159.96 of work recommended.

Service advisor told me that rear brakes are metal on metal, and I am hearing grinding noise when braking. No, I was not.

Seriously, she actually told me what I was hearing.
I hate that there are so many dishonest shops out there. There are some that I've absolutely trust and some I don't.

I'm not a big fan of government intervention but I wouldn't mind them double checking some of these claims. Maybe even something like Kitchen Kops or whatever to help keep them honest.

GoHack

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport, '20 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
The automatic Transmission oil/filter for sure.
This is my first automatic transmission, and I'm nervous about it since they still can't build them after all these years.
Sponsored