Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Do you know if there is any way around this? I've got a BB without the BB package and my DRL is only the horizontal bars. Is there a way to get into the car's programming and force it to illuminate the circular LEDs as well? It seems silly to me they would just "turn it off" on the lower trims.
unfortunately if you look closely on ours they are just a piece of silver plastic so weā€™d have to swap out the headlights with ones from a higher trim. I think itā€™s a terrible design choice but thatā€™s just me.
Sponsored

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
unfortunately if you look closely on ours they are just a piece of silver plastic so weā€™d have to swap out the headlights with ones from a higher trim. I think itā€™s a terrible design choice but thatā€™s just me.
I was being followed by another BS but I noticed their horizontal DRL bar wasn't lit. Different trim level never occurred to me, but this explains it.

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I thought Iā€™d ask people who have already taken delivery / purchased a Bronco Sport. Any complaints so far? Most reviews seem to be pretty positive from what Iā€™ve seen but I was just curious.

I also donā€™t understand all of the negativity from other people towards this vehicle. I recently ordered an Outer Banks with OB package and now have an April build date. Lately I feel like Iā€™ve seen a lot of negative comments about the Bronco Sport in general. These mostly seem to be from Jeep owners or people who donā€™t realize that the Bronco sport isnā€™t the same model as the full sized Bronco. Or theyā€™re calling it the Escape ?
You gotta also love the Sync 3. Especially when you connect your phone and every few minutes it tries to make a phone call. This vehicle has all kinds of issue but it's what you get with a new model.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
2900 miles on our Badlands + BL package, 360+ & Towā€¦. Overall itā€™s great, loving it so far. A list of complaints exists below. Overall I donā€™t think Ford did bad for a first model year coming out of a pandemic. My list has a bit of meat to it, but like I said we really like the Bronco Sport so far and actually want another. I gave up looking for another BL+BL. Will just order another when the order banks are open again at the end of August, we donā€™t need it right away. Perhaps some of these issues will be addressed for MY22, but Iā€˜m honestly not expecting any changes.

Complaints:

No seat or mirror memory. Really disappointed that the top trim level with power leather seats does not have this. The leather seats in the BL are very comfortable, but the seat pan needs a tilt adjustment.

No HomeLink garage door opener. This makes the Bronco Sport the *ONLY* vehicle offered by Ford that does not have integrated garage door opener on at least one trim level. Full size Bronco has it on several trim levels. Itā€™s not omitted because the Bronco Sport is an off-road vehicle or any nonsense that Iā€™ve seen various apologists come up with.

The visors can only go so far forward and are awkward.

The new dual-flap fuel filler neck just sucks. This is not a unique Bronco Sport issue, but something that is affecting a handful of new cars out there from Ford and other makers like Toyota. Iā€™ve encountered some gas pump nozzles that are just not long enough to work properly and make it difficult, and in one case truly impossible, to fill up.

Bump outs on the hood have terrible reflection / glare when the sun hits them at the right angle on the side facing the windshield. Had this in the past on an F-250, donā€™t recall exactly which model year and also on a RAM pickup at one point. Terrible. Something that should have been caught in testing since it affected my son and I the first day we drove it.

Canā€™t open the rear hatch when the doors are locked when we have the fob on us. It will flash the lights, but thatā€™s it. So itā€™s registering the fob. Once again, kinda surprised to see this when other Ford SUVs let us open the rear hatch when locked if weā€™re holding the fob.

The fake engine noise when in Sport mode. I mean really, WTF? Whatever genius in the marketing department that thought this was desirable is a complete moron. I get it, fake engine noise is a thing these days that Ford and GM are putting on various cars because some marketing people think that people wonā€™t buy a car unless it sounds like it has a powerful engine or something. My Expedition has fake engine noise too, but itā€™s a lot more subtle and yet more believable whereas in the Bronco itā€™s overdone and just comical. Almost as lame as in the Mach-E, but at least in the Mach-E we can turn It off.

Seatbelts for the 2nd row need a little extra attention when putting seats from folded to upright to make sure theyā€™re not stuck on the wrong side of the seat back.

Would like seat heaters for the 2nd row. Seems like a no-brainer on the top trim level. Something that Ford offers on the 2nd row of the Explorer, Edge, Expedition and even did on a few model years of the Escape.

I appreciate getting a full-size spare, but they should have given us the same tire to match the other 4. Now we have 4 aggressive AT tires and one mediocre crap tire.

USB ports are all standard +5V with no frills or fast-charging. This is irksome for the USB-C port, which should be able to put out enough juice to actually charge or power something bigger than a phone. At least we have real power ports in the ca though and I love the one in the rear.

Wireless charging pad has compatibility issues. Does not like any iPhone 12, but is also flaky with some other newer/ larger phones. Itā€™s also under-powered and while it charges an iPhone 11 Pro Max just fine, it barely charges it fast enough to keep up with battery drain from streaming audio. This is not specifically a Bronco Sport issue, My ā€˜18 Expedition uses the same charging pad and has the same issues. All known issues, you would think Ford would try a bit harder on this. So the wireless charging is mostly useless.
Personal thought based on your complaint list...perhaps test drive a Bronco before purchasing another Sport? To me it sounds like you enjoy the off-roady part but the economic version leaves a lot for your desires.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I bet you can add an engine cover. My dad didn't get one on his XLT Ranger and he was pretty bummed too. We ordered it for $68. No one likes to spend more to add stuff Ford cheaped out on, but it's probably possible. I know some people also added the hood insulator pad.
I know this has been a hot topic...I'm still not understanding the big deal about a nerf cover. Every image I've seen of the new Broncos, which correct me if I'm wrong...are supposed to be bigger, badder, more off-roadier...none of them have engine covers. Looks like a similar jumble of wires and hoses so I'd guess there isn't as much to worry about as it might seem.
Ford Bronco Sport Any Complaints so far? FB0F014D-40EF-4C5D-B62B-17C8042EBE76
Ford Bronco Sport Any Complaints so far? IMG_7230

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
I know this has been a hot topic...I'm still not understanding the big deal about a nerf cover. Every image I've seen of the new Broncos, which correct me if I'm wrong...are supposed to be bigger, badder, more off-roadier...none of them have engine covers. Looks like a similar jumble of wires and hoses so I'd guess there isn't as much to worry about as it might seem.
Ford Bronco Sport Any Complaints so far? FB0F014D-40EF-4C5D-B62B-17C8042EBE76
Ford Bronco Sport Any Complaints so far? IMG_7230
I want my nerf cover for my $55K baby or else........ :ninja: :crackup:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I think he just didn't like that Ford left it off on a specific trim, and then went ahead and put it on in the later years. That's on Rangers. I think it's similarly a hot topic on Bronco Sport because Ford decided to put it on some and not others of the same trim level, just date dependent.

I've been drilling down a bit on Ford builds and it seems like they go ahead and build in all kinds of options, sometimes up to the point of a simple software bit disabling a completely installed feature. I read one post (Explorer maybe?) where the vehicle trim wasn't spec'ed for heated wipers, but it had them. They were software disabled so Ford saved $0 and just kicked sand in the guy's face. Another example, is the F150 guys discovered you can add the Ford mood lighting just by buying different LED modules. Literally unplug what is there and plug in a different one. Then change one bit in the software to make the "hidden" feature reappear on the screen.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I think he just didn't like that Ford left it off on a specific trim, and then went ahead and put it on in the later years. That's on Rangers. I think it's similarly a hot topic on Bronco Sport because Ford decided to put it on some and not others of the same trim level, just date dependent.

I've been drilling down a bit on Ford builds and it seems like they go ahead and build in all kinds of options, sometimes up to the point of a simple software bit disabling a completely installed feature. I read one post (Explorer maybe?) where the vehicle trim wasn't spec'ed for heated wipers, but it had them. They were software disabled so Ford saved $0 and just kicked sand in the guy's face. Another example, is the F150 guys discovered you can add the Ford mood lighting just by buying different LED modules. Literally unplug what is there and plug in a different one. Then change one bit in the software to make the "hidden" feature reappear on the screen.
100% because in the end, it's faster and more economical to buy ten million heated wiper parts but not enable them on some trim levels instead of figure out which build is which. I've shared similar stories regarding vehicles my dad has owned through the years which do the same dependent on what country you live in or what market you buy from.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Personal thought based on your complaint list...perhaps test drive a Bronco before purchasing another Sport? To me it sounds like you enjoy the off-roady part but the economic version leaves a lot for your desires.
I have actually driven the new Bronco (4 door Wildtrak) and have a reservation, intending to buy a Badlands, 4-door Sasquatch 2.7L. Waiting on painted mod top and generally being able to order what I want. Of course, this was a recent event, just got the test drive on Friday. Obviously not enough time with the vehicle to really get a feel for whatā€™s great and whatā€™s not, but I can say thisā€¦ Ford has done an excellent job. They pretty much nailed it. I have some gripes about some of the interior color choices - like the orange accents on Badlands. But really, thatā€™s minor. Some of my complaints with the Bronco Sport still apply and apply to all current Ford vehicles ā€” poorly implemented USB power. Incomprehensibly bad wireless charging pad. As a couple quick examples that leave one scratching their head.

We do still want another sport as we could use another small SUV and are really liking the BL Sport we have (will cross 5000 miles on it this week). The bulk of my complaints are not because this is an ā€œeconomic versionā€. Most are first model year quibbles and aspects that are more likely due to oversight and/ or timing for inclusion. No vehicle is perfect, or at least I have yet to find one that is. I always end up with a laundry list of things that should be there or could have been better. The Bronco Sport ticks a lot of the right boxes for what it is and for our intended use. itā€™s great.

Maddy3

Outer Banks
First Name
Madison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I am replacing mine tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes .
what kind did you get? When I told the services dept that the wipers didn't even touch fresh bug splat, they gave me some crap about how windshield wipers are only made for rain and that on the BS, they are curved like the window, so daily bug splat cleaning with something else would be necessary.

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
what kind did you get? When I told the services dept that the wipers didn't even touch fresh bug splat, they gave me some crap about how windshield wipers are only made for rain and that on the BS, they are curved like the window, so daily bug splat cleaning with something else would be necessary.
I got trico brand Onyx

jaja6009

Big Bend
First Name
Jamieson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yeah I read the article and watched the video. The reviewer has some valid complaints. But he also has an error, he stated the 1.5 has a timing chain and I have read from multiple sources (including this forum) that it's a wet belt.

I for one have had my Big Bend for 1 month and have wracked up 1800 miles. I enjoy driving the CUV and find its modern option very cool. My last newest car was a 2007 Suzuki SX4 so the new technology is very cool to me as I have missed over a decade of new options.

My biggest complaint is the seats. They are not the most comfortable and lack side bolstering. They are far worse than my econobox SX4 seats.

I drive like a senior citizen now as after selling my supercharged Mustang I just do not find any type of need to drive fast. I do find the available torque in stop and go highway driving to be perfect. Full throttle acceleration is off course lackluster, but part throttle when in highway traffic with traffic lights is for me perfect. The car does not struggle at all to keep pace. The low full torque from the turbo is spot on for my type of driving. I would love to be able to install a boost gauge as I am always wondering how much boost the 1.5 Dragon is producing at certain throttle positions.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's not that the review is wrong, but it is overly harsh. The secret is, that probably over 90% of the Bronco Sport sales are for weekender trips or daily drivers for workers. As in, the vehicles will be driven on-road for almost or all the entire life of the vehicle. Most of the criticisms that review raises don't apply to those owners. Sure, backhand it and call it a souped up Escape. You know what? I like the Escape, I like the older style Escape more which this body is a callback too, and I like the exterior style enhancements over the modern Escape's design.

And to the rest... the concerns are maybe, could, probably, might, etc. Time will tell more but I don't know anyone that wheels and doesn't break stuff. That's the point for some of them. Break it and build it back better. They want an actual Bronco anyhow. The Sport was the settling point for some that didn't want to wait or pay the $$ or whatever.

Me, I originally shopped the big Bronco. Then I realized, I didn't want a rag top. I didn't want snap on roof panels or doors. I didn't want the extra height and width and length of the full Bronco. I don't plan to go rock crawling but I do some sand and dirt trails. I have to deal with snow and ice sometimes. So I looked at the Sport. I am satisfied with the Badlands ride as an on-road vehicle and I have a lot of confidence it will meet all my off-road expectations too. But I'm not looking to climb 50Ā° ergs with any vehicle I drive to the grocery store.

One thing I would take direct exception to. Dude complains that the hoses and wires are not tied down enough. That's garbage. A little movement is better than subjecting the lines to stress. Also, in time the loom and ties will age and harden, often shrinking slightly which adds to the stresses. Considering he also called the engine a vibration factory, overly tightening all the stuff down is asking for a failure.
Sponsored