Any Comparisons with upcoming Mazda CX-50?

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Like the hood graphic on mazda .

would have added factory hood
graphic/anti glare sticker if offered on Bronco sport.
Yeah i know can be installed aftermarket.
Just sayin' ? to add something to this thread.

Also it looks Chevy Blazer ish on the outside
Sponsored

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
All these images clearly target an outdoorsy crowd, but ground clearance does not look any different than a typical family car. Now I know the Bronco Sport doesn't have insane ground clearance or anything, but this looks like it would not be useful for anything other than gravel and very light duty, easy trail stuff. Looks like it could be a very nice vehicle, but maybe targeting a slightly different crowd than BS.

90% of my driving is inside a major metro area, but I do hunt, fly fish, backpack, and like to really get out there once in a while so I think that ride height would be a deal breaker for me

OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
All these images clearly target an outdoorsy crowd, but ground clearance does not look any different than a typical family car. Now I know the Bronco Sport doesn't have insane ground clearance or anything, but this looks like it would not be useful for anything other than gravel and very light duty, easy trail stuff. Looks like it could be a very nice vehicle, but maybe targeting a slightly different crowd than BS.

90% of my driving is inside a major metro area, but I do hunt, fly fish, backpack, and like to really get out there once in a while so I think that ride height would be a deal breaker for me
Yeah hard to find that info - all i can see from articles is that it will be higher than the CX-5, which is 7.5" GC

"It has higher ground clearance than the CX-5’s 7.5 inches, but its official ground clearance has yet to be released."
So even if it is half an inch higher, at 8" that is ok for MY needs, but for serious off-roading i am sure that's not enough, which I don't do. Hopefully more info will be available soon. One can always add different wheels/tires to gain some more GC, of course.

And you're right that it is targeting a slightly different crowd, BS (esp in BL guise, is way more rugged). This is probably meant for some mild off road chops, for a mild non-paved road or to get through some urban snowy roads in a pinch, but way more refined comfort and fit/finish is upper classy-ish like most Mazdas, so you can go to Friday night dinner afterwards kinda crowd. (not that I won't hesitate to take a BS BL out for that also LOL).

Current Mazdas do look and feel amazing inside; very high quality materials. Panoramic sunroof will sell. Nothing I am interested in, but for the Mazda crowd that has been wanting one, this will be good news. I do like heated seats, heated steering wheel, towing package (all of those which BS BL also has), MUCH better bolstered power seats (Mazda leather is pretty high quality), rear AND front parking sensors, homelink, and the less "chopped" off look in the back. Wish it was boxier overall, though. For people who want a power liftgate, this one has it. (i don't care for those, I'll take the flip-up glass over a power lift gate)

As for the engine, I've already driven a CX-30 Turbo with the same 250HP/321 Lb-ft engine: it is very very quick, for an SUV.

Last edited:

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
Certainly a nice looking vehicle but just as anonymous as any other small crossover. The Bronco Sport is anything but anonymous. It is just the coolest looking rig in the segment. I would have purchased a small suv a long time ago, but none of them really did it for me. I just love mine and it's far and away my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned.

CaptainCrud

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
"It has higher ground clearance than the CX-5’s 7.5 inches, but its official ground clearance has yet to be released."
Well maybe the images are just a little deceiving cuz if it actually comes in around 8" that isn't too shabby. The badlands with wildpeak tires is just under 9" so not a huge difference there. Looking at side view though, it looks like the approach angle might be a little more limiting. But again, hard to say with just some google photos.

OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well maybe the images are just a little deceiving cuz if it actually comes in around 8" that isn't too shabby. The badlands with wildpeak tires is just under 9" so not a huge difference there. Looking at side view though, it looks like the approach angle might be a little more limiting. But again, hard to say with just some google photos.
If you can find the full length 30 min or so "reveal/intro video" (IDK why I can't find it online, perhaps it just got emailed to current Mazda owners??) it gives a lot of information and videos where you can see it a lot better. What would ruin the front approach angle is the "lip" that's below the actual bumper... not sure if it's part of the bumper or separate and removable like in my 2nd gen boxy escape....

Here's a size comparo between CX-50 and some Mazda models to scale; gives you a rough idea; looks quite a bit more GC than the CX-5 and CX-30 .....

Ford Bronco Sport Any Comparisons with upcoming Mazda CX-50? cx50sizes.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a size comparo between CX-50 and some Mazda models to scale; gives you a rough idea; looks quite a bit more GC than the CX-5 and CX-30 .....

Ford Bronco Sport Any Comparisons with upcoming Mazda CX-50? cx50sizes.JPG

sayemthree

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Test drove a BS BL vs a cx5 and the Mazda drives and handles much better on pavement. Less cargo room

razor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Mazda Rx-8, 01 Audi TT Quarto, 22 Bronco Sport
I was actually curious if there were any BS vs CX-30 comparisons? The CX-50 is actually relatively huge in size compared to the BS, definitely akin to the Rav-4. The CX-30 is the same length but relatively much narrower (6% more narrow, 4 inches) compared to the BS.

razor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current Mazdas do look and feel amazing inside; very high quality materials. Panoramic sunroof will sell. Nothing I am interested in, but for the Mazda crowd that has been wanting one, this will be good news. I do like heated seats, heated steering wheel, towing package (all of those which BS BL also has), MUCH better bolstered power seats (Mazda leather is pretty high quality), rear AND front parking sensors, homelink, and the less "chopped" off look in the back. Wish it was boxier overall, though. For people who want a power liftgate, this one has it. (i don't care for those, I'll take the flip-up glass over a power lift gate)

As for the engine, I've already driven a CX-30 Turbo with the same 250HP/321 Lb-ft engine: it is very very quick, for an SUV.
I would love to hear your personal comparison between the CX-30 Turbo and a BS BL. I am currently trying to make up my mind between the two... I have a BL on the way.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
My opinion the car looks very good. Better than CX5. No real detail on its capabilities but I think it will serve what most people use their car for. Mazda has always promised Zoom Zoom… their car always handles well on road. But able to do pavement and dirt well will be difficult. We will see when it actually is tested. We don’t know the price either.

BS is a different car. Styling is certainly more unique.

CX30 seems much smaller. I never been in one but it looks very tight inside. A typical crossover design these days. The cabin is short inside. It is more of a taller hatchback. But a nice looking car as well. I’m sure it will Zoom Zoom :)

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I like the look of it.

Actually had a mid-trim CX-5 as my rental when I went to the Off-Roadeo last Sept. Only drove it to and from the airport but I was impressed with how nice it was for a fleet vehicle.

OP
OP
Washburn

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would love to hear your personal comparison between the CX-30 Turbo and a BS BL. I am currently trying to make up my mind between the two... I have a BL on the way.
Sadly the only BS i have driven is a BS Outerbanks wit the 1.5L so obv. that's not a fair comparison. The CX 30 turbo (2.5L trubo AWD) was very quick and responsive compared to the OB (expected) and the Mazda6 (2.5L SkyActiv NON turbo) we own. Also expected. It was very close to the feel of my 2005 performance package BMW 330Ci even, in a straight line. Not the handling part of course.
I don't have proof but I am pretty confident that it will be faster than the BS BL too.

As far as interior goes, it was the loaded Turbo Premium trim and materials, seats and fit / finish, techy stuff, infotainment were all several levels above the BL OB interior stuff BUT the CX-30 is less geared towards "rugged utility" and more towards "premium with some utility and mild off road manners" so that's also expected. Was fun to drive for sure; More like a sports car in that regard. Can benefit from wider/meatier tires. Had decent ground clearance but it is obv not going to be off roady as the BS in any trim, just a good guess because I only drove the CX-30 in the city/pave roads. Interior seems smallish at frst glance BUT once inside it didn't feel that way. Due to the boxyness BS felt like it had more room (and prob really does)

If you need something more premium and faster but less rugged and still great looking in a "not-so-off roady" way, for regular driving and dealing with some light snow/ice/gravel I am sure the CX-30is a good bet. With meatier / better tires and/or snow tires I am sure it can handle a bit more. The factory tires are too low profile, IMO.

If you're interested here's a good balanced review of the CX 30 turbo:

EDIT: Apparently this chick thinks it CAN do some off road stuff .... (this is a no turbo)

Last edited:

razor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sadly the only BS i have driven is a BS Outerbanks wit the 1.5L so obv. that's not a fair comparison. The CX 30 turbo (2.5L trubo AWD) was very quick and responsive compared to the OB (expected) and the Mazda6 (2.5L SkyActiv NON turbo) we own. Also expected. It was very close to the feel of my 2005 performance package BMW 330Ci even, in a straight line. Not the handling part of course.
I don't have proof but I am pretty confident that it will be faster than the BS BL too.

As far as interior goes, it was the loaded Turbo Premium trim and materials, seats and fit / finish, techy stuff, infotainment were all several levels above the BL OB interior stuff BUT the CX-30 is less geared towards "rugged utility" and more towards "premium with some utility and mild off road manners" so that's also expected. Was fun to drive for sure; More like a sports car in that regard. Can benefit from wider/meatier tires. Had decent ground clearance but it is obv not going to be off roady as the BS in any trim, just a good guess because I only drove the CX-30 in the city/pave roads. Interior seems smallish at frst glance BUT once inside it didn't feel that way. Due to the boxyness BS felt like it had more room (and prob really does)

If you need something more premium and faster but less rugged and still great looking in a "not-so-off roady" way, for regular driving and dealing with some light snow/ice/gravel I am sure the CX-30is a good bet. With meatier / better tires and/or snow tires I am sure it can handle a bit more. The factory tires are too low profile, IMO.

If you're interested here's a good balanced review of the CX 30 turbo:

EDIT: Apparently this chick thinks it CAN do some off road stuff .... (this is a no turbo)
Thank you for the super detailed reply! It's going to be a tough decision for me... it's true my level of off road use probably doesn't justify a BS when there's CX-30 Turbo as an option. Hmmmm... will let you guys know what I go with.
Sponsored