Any Comparisons with upcoming Mazda CX-50?

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
test drove a cx50 Turbo. It is a very nice car. It handles very well. Zoom zoom as Mazda promised. Much better road feel than the BL I test drove. Interior also feels more luxury like. Nice vented leather seats. They probably intentionally allow more engine/exhaust sound into the cabin to make it feel more sporty. Steering feels tight and precise. Different from the BS BL which is tune to be more off road and truck like. Not sure about skip pad numbers or figure eight lap times. but I’d say on road the cx50 has an edge.

I’m also disappointed the trunk And cabin space is short. It’s a trend these days with crossovers. It is a longer car but less trunk height. BS seating are more up right which is also comfortable.

BS and CX50 are two different vehicles. One lean toward the on road handling that may able to wonder off pavement. BS is more truck like and with off road intention but still keep a decent on pavement manner. It’s more numb on the steering but still can be toss into the corner.

so far I’m still waiting for my BL
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Fancy new name Cx 50, but still a dated engine and chassis with mpg’s being reached with areo dynamics playing a bigger roll.
The BS is more ‘Truggy’ and IMHO there is nothing out there to compare with the BS except a few models of the slightly older land rovers.
That cost upwards of $60,000
I think people are just killing time trying to find something to compare to or best the Bronco sport. It’s just a better overall package than anything else out there.
Can I get a OoRah !

Last edited:

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
Fancy new name Cx 50, but still a dated engine and chassis with mpg’s being reached with arrow dynamics playing a bigger roll.
The BS is more ‘Truggy’ and IMHO there is nothing out there to compare with the BS except a few models of the slightly older land rovers.
I think people are just killing time trying to find something to compare to or best the Bronco sport. It’s just a better overall package than anything else out there.
Can I get a OoRah !
Yeah
.cx50 is based on CX30 with the old 2.5 turbo. A new CX60 is coming. Rear drive base with I-6 and hybrid trims.

and you are right .. I was looking at the Defenders. Really should be compare w a Bronco and it is expensive. But it is pretty cool car. maybe BS is similar to the old Discovery
.but now we are off subject

it is hard to find an alternative to a BS BL.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yeah
.cx50 is based on CX30 with the old 2.5 turbo. A new CX60 is coming. Rear drive base with I-6 and hybrid trims.

and you are right .. I was looking at the Defenders. Really should be compare w a Bronco and it is expensive. But it is pretty cool car. maybe BS is similar to the old Discovery
.but now we are off subject

The Defenders surely do stand out in traffic! & the people that lease them (surely these are people who will move on to the next fashion vehicle once the lease is up?) seem to know that & purchase them as the latest get noticed vehicle. But they are sized more like the full-size Bronco aren’t they? What did you think of them? THey’re surely a price class above even the full-size, which should put them about 2 price classes above the BS, CX-50, et al.

WildFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS BL
The Defenders surely do stand out in traffic! & the people that lease them (surely these are people who will move on to the next fashion vehicle once the lease is up?) seem to know that & purchase them as the latest get noticed vehicle. But they are sized more like the full-size Bronco aren’t they? What did you think of them? THey’re surely a price class above even the full-size, which should put them about 2 price classes above the BS, CX-50, et al.
I really like the styling of the Defender 110 and 90. It is sized near the big Bronco 4 door and 2 door. Never got a chance to test drive one so I don’t know what it is like to drive.

however
 maybewe Can start a new thread with info on the upcoming Land Rover 80. It will likely be more BS size. I can’t find much info on the internet. And it supposed to be more inline with the BS price point.

about the CX50
 with a short roof line
 it reminds me more the Audi Allroad.

Or more like a taller version of some new “crossover” EV like KIA EV6.

Reactions: MJE

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
If anyone cares for more details or Q&A, I own a turbo CX-50.

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I very much used to like luxurious-looking vehicles. However, I’ve come to realize I actually don’t. They’re not particularly practical and they all look very similar. Not to mention the mediocre AWD systems many have.

The BS is practical, especially the Badlands version, in a place like Wisconsin with long, snowy winters and cracked and potholed roads.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Fancy new name Cx 50, but still a dated engine and chassis with mpg’s being reached with areo dynamics playing a bigger roll.
Can I get a OoRah !
OoRah !!!

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
If anyone cares for more details or Q&A, I own a turbo CX-50.
How are you liking it? & of course the obvious question on a BS forum, what led you to ultimately choosing it over the Sport? Or do you own both now? Mazda does seem to have put together an attractive package at a similar price point, albeit a fairly different model, but probably one that focuses better on their brand & strengths.

LilbroncoS

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
How are you liking it? & of course the obvious question on a BS forum, what led you to ultimately choosing it over the Sport? Or do you own both now? Mazda does seem to have put together an attractive package at a similar price point, albeit a fairly different model, but probably one that focuses better on their brand & strengths.
I was in a cx 5 carbon edition for a few days while i was waiting on my 2021 mazda 6 gt.. never took off road. But drives great. Engine is awesome. They did right with the skyactiv.. handles really well. Mazda uses really nice parts inside/out.. i went with a bronco sport because it was the new thing.. i like my bronco.. only complaints with the bronco are cheap tires and easily scratched piano black side pillars. Other than that solid build.. keep it for about a year and try something else out..

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I like the 2.5 turbo eng in CX50 not many small SUV with that level of power to choose from. Mazda also scores high in quality reliability. Doesn't seem like much cargo space in back and more road oriented. But overall looks pretty good for ppl looking for something like that.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yeah seems BS BL out there in a class by itself. Power torque off road ability drives super nice on road great driving experience and goes back to what an SUV is supposed to be....

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
So I did give up my BSBL order on 4/20/22 after purchasing the CX-50. Yes I could see light at the end of my 6 month wait with a build week of next week, but the Mazda won me over. I test drove both vehicles multiple times and for me it came down to multiple key differences. Obviously both are distinguishably different looking and marketed to similar crowds, we all have our opinions on those. I agree the BS would have been better at "off-roading", but I live in San Diego and was never planning to beat mine up in the mountains. For the minimal non-pavement driving I do, the AWD CX-50 will more than suffice at getting me to trail heads for hiking/camping. The hard facts are that the turbo CX-50 can tow 3500lbs. , 1500 more than the BSBL. This expands my shopping market for tow behind campers. Our small one child family can fit much more comfortably, there is a lot more passenger leg room with a child seat installed in the CX-50. The interior quality and seat comfort is sooooo much better in the CX-50, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Driving dynamics, handling, and engine power are on another level in the CX-50 compared to the BS. Brand reliability was another deciding factor. Yes I'm rolling the dice on a new model that can very well have unforeseen issues, but there was just something about hearing owners issues on this forum and how they were treated at Ford dealers that rubbed me the wrong way. Lastly, my CX-50 is 100% complete and built as advertised, no shortcuts, no changing out parts, no chip shortage excuses. I really wanted to like the BSBL, but test driving both changed my mind.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
So I did give up my BSBL order on 4/20/22 after purchasing the CX-50. Yes I could see light at the end of my 6 month wait with a build week of next week, but the Mazda won me over. I test drove both vehicles multiple times and for me it came down to multiple key differences. Obviously both are distinguishably different looking and marketed to similar crowds, we all have our opinions on those. I agree the BS would have been better at "off-roading", but I live in San Diego and was never planning to beat mine up in the mountains. For the minimal non-pavement driving I do, the AWD CX-50 will more than suffice at getting me to trail heads for hiking/camping. The hard facts are that the turbo CX-50 can tow 3500lbs. , 1500 more than the BSBL. This expands my shopping market for tow behind campers. Our small one child family can fit much more comfortably, there is a lot more passenger leg room with a child seat installed in the CX-50. The interior quality and seat comfort is sooooo much better in the CX-50, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Driving dynamics, handling, and engine power are on another level in the CX-50 compared to the BS. Brand reliability was another deciding factor. Yes I'm rolling the dice on a new model that can very well have unforeseen issues, but there was just something about hearing owners issues on this forum and how they were treated at Ford dealers that rubbed me the wrong way. Lastly, my CX-50 is 100% complete and built as advertised, no shortcuts, no changing out parts, no chip shortage excuses. I really wanted to like the BSBL, but test driving both changed my mind.
A great well reasoned answer to be sure. & honestly, yes it might be a ‘new’ model, but I’m assuming there’s so much underneath shared with the CX30 & CX5 that honestly there shouldn’t be any widespread issues. I’m sure you’ll be fine & really enjoy it! Honestly they’ve created a compelling entry in a class of compact crossovers where there aren’t many interesting choices.
Sponsored