Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
You’ve probably heard of all-season tires and winter tires, but where do all-weather tires fall in that mix?

While all-season tires are designed for long-lasting performance in average weather conditions, winter tires (AKA snow tires) are all about safe performance in extreme winter weather.

On the other hand, all-weather tires fall in between all-season and winter tires, providing more reliable performance in winter weather than an all-season tire without sacrificing warm-weather performance.

Want to learn more about the differences between all-season tires, all-weather tires and winter tires? We’ve got the full rundown on all-season tires, all-weather tires and winter tires.
Sponsored

TSO_NJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD Bronco Sport OBX

medhat

Badlands
First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
First, thanks Discount Tires for my Falken Wildpeaks, they’re outstanding. But purely a semantic issue, but while they have a 3 peak mountain designation, they’re not considered “winter tires” are they?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
OP
OP
Discount Tire

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
@medhat thank you for your business. We appreciate your support. Although the Falken Wildpeak has the 3PMS rating, the are not considered winter designated tires. However, as @Mark S. has pointed out, a 3PMS rated tire could be sufficient in some situations. :like:

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Depending on where you live, I think running 4 snow tires in the winter is a good idea. Most people worry about getting stuck, but handling and braking are way more important. You can always get pushed or pulled out if stuck, but poor handling or braking could result in a more severe accident or injury. If you keep your vehicle for any period of time, you'll have to buy new tires anyway. Dedicated snow tires could double the life of your conventional tires, plus give you better performance for existing road conditions.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Depending on where you live, I think running 4 snow tires in the winter is a good idea. Most people worry about getting stuck, but handling and braking are way more important. You can always get pushed or pulled out if stuck, but poor handling or braking could result in a more severe accident or injury. If you keep your vehicle for any period of time, you'll have to buy new tires anyway. Dedicated snow tires could double the life of your conventional tires, plus give you better performance for existing road conditions.
Above, I posted:

Michelin:
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/browse-tires/by-vehicle/2022/ford/bronco-sport/Badlands

The Cross-Climate 2 is a great all-weather tire.

~~~

To be clear, I agree with you. In fact, I have given identical advice for decades. I have winter tires for all of our vehicles, mounted and balanced and ready to go. I'm a big proponent of winter tires for vehicles that will be frequently driven on ice and snow.

Discount Tire posted that drivers should: "...equip your vehicle with the tire best suited for the environment." Of course that goes without saying. It's also common knowledge that road conditions are often not absolute. Many people live between the sunbelt and the snowbelt.

A person who lives where it might snow a couple of inches once or twice a year and then quickly melt is better off with an All-Weather tire like the Cross Climate 2. That's because most winter tires are mediocre at wet & dry braking. So in an environment like that, the Cross Climate is belter/safer than a winter tire the vast majority of the time.

IOW, "beware the 1% solution". Snow & ice traction comes at a cost. Winter tires are clearly the way to go in the 'Great White North' but in areas that only see occasional light snow, they are actually worse.

In fact, for that reason, before I retired I would swap winter and 3-season tires a few times during the winter, when no snow was forecast and it was relatively warm. The 3-season tires handled so much better.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
Above, I posted:

Michelin:
https://www.michelinman.com/auto/browse-tires/by-vehicle/2022/ford/bronco-sport/Badlands

The Cross-Climate 2 is a great all-weather tire.

~~~

To be clear, I agree with you. In fact, I have given identical advice for decades. I have winter tires for all of our vehicles, mounted and balanced and ready to go. I'm a big proponent of winter tires for vehicles that will be frequently driven on ice and snow.

Discount Tire posted that drivers should: "...equip your vehicle with the tire best suited for the environment." Of course that goes without saying. It's also common knowledge that road conditions are often not absolute. Many people live between the sunbelt and the snowbelt.

A person who lives where it might snow a couple of inches once or twice a year and then quickly melt is better off with an All-Weather tire like the Cross Climate 2. That's because most winter tires are mediocre at wet & dry braking. So in an environment like that, the Cross Climate is belter/safer than a winter tire the vast majority of the time.

IOW, "beware the 1% solution". Snow & ice traction comes at a cost. Winter tires are clearly the way to go in the 'Great White North' but in areas that only see occasional light snow, they are actually worse.

In fact, for that reason, before I retired I would swap winter and 3-season tires a few times during the winter, when no snow was forecast and it was relatively warm. The 3-season tires handled so much better.
Just had Discount Tire put on a set of Cross Climate 2s on my OB. No real snow in Wisconsin yet, but I love their feel on the road so far. Can't wait to try them out in some snow.

wiyeti

Outer Banks
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Outer Banks
@wiyeti Corey, thank you so much for your business, we appreciate your support. It's great that the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires are doing well for you. :thumbsup:
A big thumbs up for your manager in Oshkosh, WI. Went in on Black Friday and he had multiple call ins, but he handled it like a champ and still made it a great experience. Thanks!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Just had Discount Tire put on a set of Cross Climate 2s on my OB. No real snow in Wisconsin yet, but I love their feel on the road so far. Can't wait to try them out in some snow.
I'm interested in hearing what you think of their snow performance.

We have them on our '97 RAV4, which the BS BL replaced. Up until a few years ago, we got quite a bit of snow here -- sometimes 2 to 2-1/2 feet when a 'nor' easter' would move up the coast. Recently we haven't gotten much, so I haven't had a chance to really test them out.

From everything I've read, they are excellent all-around tires -- winter certified (3PMSF) and rated "very good" or "excellent" across the board by CR.

As I recall, there are dedicated winter tires that perform better on snow & ice, but as I said above, there are trade-offs. Wet & dry braking and handling will suffer.

I lived in Madison for a couple years. Is it still common practice to leave some snow on the roads and mix sand with it? Here they plow down to the pavement and because it is not as cold, they use salt or brine so that generally, within say 24 hours the roads are clear. Since we're both retired now, I'm not as concerned about winter tires, because a) we're getting less snow, and b) we can always wait a day or two to go shopping or whatever.

medhat

Badlands
First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS
I'm interested in hearing what you think of their snow performance.

We have them on our '97 RAV4, which the BS BL replaced. Up until a few years ago, we got quite a bit of snow here -- sometimes 2 to 2-1/2 feet when a 'nor' easter' would move up the coast. Recently we haven't gotten much, so I haven't had a chance to really test them out.

From everything I've read, they are excellent all-around tires -- winter certified (3PMSF) and rated "very good" or "excellent" across the board by CR.

As I recall, there are dedicated winter tires that perform better on snow & ice, but as I said above, there are trade-offs. Wet & dry braking and handling will suffer.

I lived in Madison for a couple years. Is it still common practice to leave some snow on the roads and mix sand with it? Here they plow down to the pavement and because it is not as cold, they use salt or brine so that generally, within say 24 hours the roads are clear. Since we're both retired now, I'm not as concerned about winter tires, because a) we're getting less snow, and b) we can always wait a day or two to go shopping or whatever.
Have CC2's on my spouse's car for a few seasons (south central Wisconsin), and in the Madison area and surrounds they've proven more than capable in this climate and our specific local conditions. Been very, very, happy with the choice. That said, for our Badlands went with the Falken Wildpeaks, as that car doesn't live in Wisconsin and has a different usage profile.
Sponsored