Add factory class II tow hitch after purchase?

Coloroadrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I know this is an old thread, but here's some info if your having a hitch installed after the purchase. I had one installed today. The Ford hitch for the BS was going to be $420 to have it installed. They have to remove the rear bumper to install the factory hitch. I bought a Curt hitch instead. $160 for installation. big difference. They have to cut the bumper for either hitch
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I know this is an old thread, but here's some info if your having a hitch installed after the purchase. I had one installed today. The Ford hitch for the BS was going to be $420 to have it installed. They have to remove the rear bumper to install the factory hitch. I bought a Curt hitch instead. $160 for installation. big difference. They have to cut the bumper for either hitch
Would you be so kind as to post some pictures (especially of the bumper cut) and the Curt part number? Thanks.

Coloroadrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Would you be so kind as to post some pictures (especially of the bumper cut) and the Curt part number? Thanks.
This is the website for the cheapest I've found the Curt hitch for the Sport. It's an exact fit. Like I said, they have to cut the bumper for either hitch! They did a really good job on my bumper, but the company I used does hitches, brush guards bed covers etc. So they were experienced in cutting the bumper.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Ford/Bronco_Sport/Curt/Hitch/2021/Outer_Banks/3_Cyl_1-dot-5L/CUR13474.html

Ford Bronco Sport Add factory class II tow hitch after purchase? Hitch 1

Ford Bronco Sport Add factory class II tow hitch after purchase? Hitch 2

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My paperwork says I have the Class II tow package, but the receiver is 2" x 2" which makes it a class III.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
This is the website for the cheapest I've found the Curt hitch for the Sport. It's an exact fit. Like I said, they have to cut the bumper for either hitch! They did a really good job on my bumper, but the company I used does hitches, brush guards bed covers etc. So they were experienced in cutting the bumper.

https://www.carparts.com/details/Ford/Bronco_Sport/Curt/Hitch/2021/Outer_Banks/3_Cyl_1-dot-5L/CUR13474.html

Ford Bronco Sport Add factory class II tow hitch after purchase? Hitch 1

Ford Bronco Sport Add factory class II tow hitch after purchase? Hitch 2
I'm buying the First Edition bumper when I add the tow package as I didn't like many of the cuts to bumper i've seen. You, my friend, have the best looking cutout in my opinion. I like how you rounded out corners and made the hole bigger .

My paperwork says I have the Class II tow package, but the receiver is 2" x 2" which makes it a class III.
Still Class II as it's limited by what the vehicle can pull.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm buying the First Edition bumper when I add the tow package as I didn't like many of the cuts to bumper i've seen. You, my friend, have the best looking cutout in my opinion. I like how you rounded out corners and made the hole bigger .

Still Class II as it's limited by what the vehicle can pull.
I'm talking about the hitch, not the vehicle's capabilities.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
I'm talking about the hitch, not the vehicle's capabilities.
Having a 2" receiver does not automatically make it Class III. But rather anything smaller than a 2" receiver disqualifies it from being Class III.

The hitch itself may be perfectly capable of meeting all Class III requirements. But once installed on a vehicle, the manufacturer can only advertise and sell it for the highest class for which it meets all the minimum requirements, when in combination with the vehicle it's mounted to. In this case, Class II.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Having a 2" receiver does not automatically make it Class III. But rather anything smaller than a 2" receiver disqualifies it from being Class III.

The hitch itself may be perfectly capable of meeting all Class III requirements. But once installed on a vehicle, the manufacturer can only advertise and sell it for the highest class for which it meets all the minimum requirements, when in combination with the vehicle it's mounted to. In this case, Class II.
Bingo! You can buy a Class IV hitch from an F150 but the minute it bolts onto a BS it becomes a Class II.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
One last time, I'm talking about the hitch itself and I made that plain in my last post.

Putting a Class III hitch on a Class II vehicle doesn't change the fact that it's a Class III hitch.

You could mount it on a motorscooter and it would still be a Class III hitch.

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
One last time, I'm talking about the hitch itself and I made that plain in my last post.

Putting a Class III hitch on a Class II vehicle doesn't change the fact that it's a Class III hitch.

You could mount it on a motorscooter and it would still be a Class III hitch.
Patience, grasshopper. :)

I think most folks are razzing this out of fun, not armchair "well actually…" behavior.

Ford has a plated set of maximums the surrounding (uni-)frame will support, the hitch cross-member itself is typically stronger than what surrounds it.

I'd happily prefer a healthily Class â…˘ hitch cross-member and draw-bar, even if only loading to the high end of Class â…ˇ ratings.
Sponsored