Adaptive Cruise Control and Engine Braking vs Wheel Braking

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I know this is overly specific. When using the adaptive cruise control (co-pilot 360 Assist+), how much of the vehicle slowing is due to Engine Braking vs Wheel Braking? Also curious if the adaptive cruise control could actually get slightly worse mpg due to excessive wheel braking and accelerating vs lifting off the throttle and coasting while manually driving on the highways etc. I could be wrong but the BS seems to accurately hold the exact same mph or distance that I set so I cant imagine there is much wiggle room for the BS to coast while trailing another vehicle on the highway.
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
I know this is overly specific. When using the adaptive cruise control (co-pilot 360 Assist+), how much of the vehicle slowing is due to Engine Braking vs Wheel Braking? Also curious if the adaptive cruise control could actually get slightly worse mpg due to excessive wheel braking and accelerating vs lifting off the throttle and coasting while manually driving on the highways etc. I could be wrong but the BS seems to accurately hold the exact same mph or distance that I set so I cant imagine there is much wiggle room for the BS to coast while trailing another vehicle on the highway.
Unfortunately on my first edition bronco I was shorted ACC , but I have had that on a couple Lincolns going back to 2010 , my MKS is probably one of the first fords that came with ACC , I believe that ford company has one of the best systems made to date . It is super accurate and I always got the best mileage when used . My MKS was 3.5 twin turbo with 385 hp ,best running car ever . Highway 28.9 City 19 , not to bad for a full size car .
Ford Bronco Sport Adaptive Cruise Control and Engine Braking vs Wheel Braking 1B4485A9-DE79-4484-9866-6E20E607430E

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It's hard to tell when it coasts and when it actually brakes. All I know is the ACC gets better MPG that I do when driving, so whatever it does, it doesn't hurt the MPG even if you are a real light foot.

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
It's hard to tell when it coasts and when it actually brakes. All I know is the ACC gets better MPG that I do when driving, so whatever it does, it doesn't hurt the MPG even if you are a real light foot.
Thats good feedback. I will try to compare the mpg on my next weekend trip. It really is an amazing system for cruising. Needs some work in traffic though with the harsh braking but you cant win em all.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Thats good feedback. I will try to compare the mpg on my next weekend trip. It really is an amazing system for cruising. Needs some work in traffic though with the harsh braking but you cant win em all.
Agree, in heavy stop and go traffic the car can be a little slow to go and a little quick to stop. But that's because there's always some ? that wants to cut in and then the radar panics. I still am not comfortable using the minimum follow distance and usually set it to 3 bars at 60mph.

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Agree, in heavy stop and go traffic the car can be a little slow to go and a little quick to stop. But that's because there's always some ? that wants to cut in and then the radar panics. I still am not comfortable using the minimum follow distance and usually set it to 3 bars at 60mph.
I have had similar experiences in traffic, its just too hard on the brakes initially instead of gradual braking. I probably have over 3,000 miles of highway speed driving using ACC around 75 mph from NJ to VT and it works perfect at those speeds.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
I have ACC on my '19 Ranger CC Lariat. I love it. The truck slows gradually enough that some times I don't even realize it. When I throttles up, it is gradual as well. I am looking forward to having on the BS as the '15 Escape Titanium it replacing didn't have it.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I absolutely love the ACC system using it now. It’s quickly become an absolutely must have and great argument for buying a new vehicle. Awesome in traffic, but I’d been wondering exactly how it works too as in the OP’s question. If it’s actively braking does it put on the brake lights for the tailgaters behind you? Or if it’s using engine braking & coasting then does it not put on the brake lights?

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
I really like it but I always worry about the cars behind me because when it applies the brakes, it is harder than what I would usually brake. I have not done a comparison on a road trip.

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I absolutely love the ACC system using it now. It’s quickly become an absolutely must have and great argument for buying a new vehicle. Awesome in traffic, but I’d been wondering exactly how it works too as in the OP’s question. If it’s actively braking does it put on the brake lights for the tailgaters behind you? Or if it’s using engine braking & coasting then does it not put on the brake lights?
Just finished a 200+ mile trip with mostly ACC and tried to really pay attention to what was happening. I didn’t see the RPMs rise when the BS was slowing with a car in front, so im thinking its wheel braking and not engine braking. I couldn’t tell if the brake lights went on but i imagine they would.

Reactions: MJE

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
Just finished a 200+ mile trip with mostly ACC and tried to really pay attention to what was happening. I didn’t see the RPMs rise when the BS was slowing with a car in front, so im thinking its wheel braking and not engine braking. I couldn’t tell if the brake lights went on but i imagine they would.
I was pulling a trailer using ACC and at night I could tell that when slowing down it was indeed putting on the brake lights.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I use my ACC pretty frequently. Very nice to have and became a mandatory feature after having it in my previous car. I'm also of the opinion the brakes are used to slow down when approaching a slow car. I know it uses the brakes when slowing down for a reduced speed limit (when using sign recognition) and when I use the buttons to reduce the speed setpoint because it's not smooth at all. Even if I gradually drop one mph at a time (instead of rapidly mashing the button) it's jerky to slow down. I'm pretty disappointed in how much it uses the brakes. I still like having it but it really makes me miss the ACC in my 2016 VW Golf R. It was better in every regard.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My MKS was 3.5 twin turbo with 385 hp ,best running car ever . Highway 28.9 City 19
Ford Bronco Sport Adaptive Cruise Control and Engine Braking vs Wheel Braking 1B4485A9-DE79-4484-9866-6E20E607430E
This clearly shows the Importance of Aerodynamics.
With my Bronco Sport the city vs highway mpg’s is only a difference of about 3 mpg’s..
Sponsored

Last edited: