87 vs 91 Octane?

Will you be filling up using 87 or 91 octane moving forward?

• Total voters

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
This was almost certainly due to something other than fuel octane. I've tested octane vs fuel economy extensively and found no correlation. You can view my data here.
Probably. Driving habits and weather didn’t change much, if at all.

The Badlands does get better mileage than my 19 Escape 2.0 AWD did. I believe the Escape’s gas tank was 0.3 gallons smaller (15.7 vs 16).

I average about 375 miles per tank with the Badlands compared to about 330 with the Escape.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The Badlands does get better mileage than my 19 Escape 2.0 AWD did. I believe the Escape’s gas tank was 0.3 gallons smaller (15.7 vs 16).
Hmmm. My wife drives a 2020 Escape 2.0L AWD. Her normal use case includes long highway commutes. We've also taken her car on several long road trips. Her car consistently gets better fuel mileage than my Badlands. Both of our cars average right around the EPA estimates.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
I've been so used to queuing up at Costco to make sure my Mustang got 93, that I think that practice will probably just continue. At least it has been. AT first, I was like, there is no point to run premium fuel in this stock car....but then when I started datalogging, I just really like to see that OAR at -1. So here I am at 93 again. 91 would probably keep my OAR at the same level, but 91 is hard to find around here. It goes straight to 89 after 93. And usually when I do find it, its the same price as the Costco 93.

With the Mustang engine still in top performance at almost 90K miles.....I really believe part of the secret sauce to these ecobangers is premium fuel + full synthetic oil. That, among a few other things. Just my opinion.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Hmmm. My wife drives a 2020 Escape 2.0L AWD. Her normal use case includes long highway commutes. We've also taken her car on several long road trips. Her car consistently gets better fuel mileage than my Badlands. Both of our cars average right around the EPA estimates.
You apparently have too much time on your hands.🙄
It's a good thing cars don't sweat because you would have to factor in moisture loss.

Last edited:

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The 2019 Escape was the last model year of the previous generation. Different platform, transmission, etc. it did use the same 2.0 engine.
Sponsored