greenlaker

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport/'15 M-B Sprinter Crew/'01 S2000
Well, we had planned on taking my Sprinter that I DIY'd into a camper van on our annual summer trip to see the spawn in the Twin Cities, but the differential was dying on the van (at 61k miles!), so we pressed the baby Bronco into service for the trek. We had to forego the luxury of being able to pull off to sleep whenever/wherever we wanted, but overall it was a comfortable and relatively relaxing trip.

Ford Bronco Sport 4866 miles over two weeks in "Blucifer" IMG_6114

Final MPG would have likely crossed 30, but I towed our 2000# boat about 120 of those miles. Just from a friend's house in the Madison, WI area to Green Lake, WI and back. Nothing but rolling hills on back roads, with speeds under 60MPH. I could certainly feel it behind the BS, but the vehicle didn't feel especially stressed. Still I had to forego my original plan of bringing the boat back home to NorCal, as I didn't want to drive it at the limits at Interstate speeds and up and over the grades of NV on hot summer's days.

Ford Bronco Sport 4866 miles over two weeks in "Blucifer" IMG_5987

Since we had time, we stretched our legs at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Too wet to drive on it though - no sense in giving the undercarriage a thick spray of brine.
Ford Bronco Sport 4866 miles over two weeks in "Blucifer" IMG_6085

While we certainly missed the space and towing capacity of the Sprinter, "Blucifer" did the job admirably, and I appreciated the adaptive cruise, quieter cabin, and it being more nimble and efficient.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Did you do an actual pen and paper MPG calculation based on your gas receipts?

On my 4100 mile trip, shown MPG was about 1.4 MPG higher than actual calculations.

The dash display isn't usually accurate, but a ballpark estimate.

westcoaster818

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Well, we had planned on taking my Sprinter that I DIY'd into a camper van on our annual summer trip to see the spawn in the Twin Cities, but the differential was dying on the van (at 61k miles!), so we pressed the baby Bronco into service for the trek. We had to forego the luxury of being able to pull off to sleep whenever/wherever we wanted, but overall it was a comfortable and relatively relaxing trip.

Ford Bronco Sport 4866 miles over two weeks in "Blucifer" IMG_6114

Final MPG would have likely crossed 30, but I towed our 2000# boat about 120 of those miles. Just from a friend's house in the Madison, WI area to Green Lake, WI and back. Nothing but rolling hills on back roads, with speeds under 60MPH. I could certainly feel it behind the BS, but the vehicle didn't feel especially stressed. Still I had to forego my original plan of bringing the boat back home to NorCal, as I didn't want to drive it at the limits at Interstate speeds and up and over the grades of NV on hot summer's days.

Ford Bronco Sport 4866 miles over two weeks in "Blucifer" IMG_5987

Since we had time, we stretched our legs at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Too wet to drive on it though - no sense in giving the undercarriage a thick spray of brine.
Ford Bronco Sport 4866 miles over two weeks in "Blucifer" IMG_6085

While we certainly missed the space and towing capacity of the Sprinter, "Blucifer" did the job admirably, and I appreciated the adaptive cruise, quieter cabin, and it being more nimble and efficient.
You are overweight on the tow max if your boat is 2k pounds. How much does the trailer weigh? Is there gas in the boat? Any other supplies?

OP
OP
greenlaker

greenlaker

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport/'15 M-B Sprinter Crew/'01 S2000
You are overweight on the tow max if your boat is 2k pounds. How much does the trailer weigh? Is there gas in the boat? Any other supplies?
I should clarify that all-in the boat, on trailer, with fuel and accessories is right about 2000#.
Sponsored