bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
So I had a little time to look over this better. I'm drawing a few conclusions here.
1) The Black Diamond off-road package will be the BS equivalent to the full-size Sasquatch package whereas you can get it on almost every trim.
2) The BD package keeps the existing tire width of 225 but provides a smaller (for OB and 18' BB) 17' wheel with AT tires.
3) Not sure why the BD package requires the Class II towing package but I guess it's no different in how to get a sunroof you need each trim's specific convenience, tech package...

To me, it seems like that package will be a waste of money and I'm not sure who the BD package is for.

The 2022 OB starts at $36,690. The BL starts at $38,830. People end up buying the OB as they want all the luxury, creature comfort (18' wheels, rain-sensing wipers, etc ...) items and have no use for the Badlands model. With the starting prices so close who, interested in an OB, would opt for the BD package to lose the trim-specific 18' for an 'off-road' package that is really just a name? Say the BD package is just $1k, that puts an OB within $1k of a more off-road-capable vehicle in the BL. Sure, it's looking like you'll get the BL's bash plates, but essentially you're paying for the wheels, and a graphics package but still be missing real-ish off-road equipment (extra GOAT modes, twin-clutch rear, locking diff, etc ...).

This package makes more sense on the Base and BB (non-18' wheels) as the difference in starting price is quite a bit more, and with 17' wheels stock, you'll be paying for the bash plates and AT tires. At you $32k, you're still in your specific price tier after a proposed $1k BD package, especially if you have no real use for the BLs features.

I don't know, maybe I'm ranting a bit and might be way off the mark, but it seems to me like that package is a fail at best and needs more/real 'off-road' features to make it a real off-road package. I get it's not a real Sasquatch package and we can't have front and rear locking differentials, and 35-inch tires with 17-inch Beadlock capable wheels, but I just feel it needs more.
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
but it seems to me like that package is a fail at best and needs more/real 'off-road' features to make it a real off-road package.
Never underestimate the power of stickers and graphics...

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Reactions: MJE

DemonGT

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited
I would have liked to see something like a code orange color only available on the BL. Something unique on the highest trim.

Can you get rain sensing wipers on the BL?

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I would have liked to see something like a code orange color only available on the BL. Something unique on the highest trim.

Can you get rain sensing wipers on the BL?
I have rain-sensing wipers.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

DemonGT

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Heritage Limited
looking at the guide for the Badlands what is Console Floor – Unique (Rotary TMS Switch) ?

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
looking at the guide for the Badlands what is Console Floor – Unique (Rotary TMS Switch) ?
Im going to assume it’s the GOAT switch with unique surround (trail control, diff lock, etc …)

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
It rains more here! Lol :rain: Honestly I didn't know that.
I heard its some Canada law and thats why the Canada units get that feature.

First Name
Kennedy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend (Traded in '11 Escape XLT 2.0L)
Well, all of this does complicate what I'll do for a '23 order. The main reason I was planning on a BL was to get away from the stupid piece of carpet underneath that I hate so much. If I could get the OB with the underbody package, I'll probably opt for that. I don't really want the larger engine nor need the locking diff and all that. I've found my BB quite capable, including off-road and in snow.

I'll also have to see the BD graphics first, because I usually find the graphics actually detract from the design. Oh well, we'll just wait for more details I guess.

Having just gotten my 21 a few months ago, the only things that would make me trade in are a refresh, redesign, or a generous HP bump.
Obviously this isn't a US model and might not be applicable, but this video claims that the '23 2.0 engine has 13 more HP to match the Maverick.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
3) Not sure why the BD package requires the Class II towing package but I guess it's no different in how to get a sunroof you need each trim's specific convenience, tech package...
I have no data to back this up--pure speculation--but my guess is it will have something to do with off-road recovery options. The hitch with an appropriate receiver-mounted shackle can be used as an off-road recovery point.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
Nice to see they have finally added memory seats and mirrors, alas a year to late for me.
Sponsored