2022 Sport auto start stop opt out?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
My last car was a hybrid which had the auto stop-start but since it also had the electric motor it was very unobtrusive.

I thought I would hate the stop-start in a gas only car but it doesn't bother me that much. I do toggle it off sometimes, like while in stop and go traffic.
Sponsored

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Mines off all the time with the module I installed. I can activate when I like, which I don’t.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
My last car was a hybrid which had the auto stop-start but since it also had the electric motor it was very unobtrusive.

I thought I would hate the stop-start in a gas only car but it doesn't bother me that much. I do toggle it off sometimes, like while in stop and go traffic.
Honestly compared to my wife's jeep I can't even tell it's off/starting most of the time. It's very subtle. My wife's is a strong kill and jump start. It's truly annoying .

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
It's a bit jarring at times and I don't like how it turns off power steering but I just hate waste. I turn it off when I know I'll be stopped for less than 7 seconds. I read somewhere that's the equivalent of starting again. Otherwise I would rather not be idling polluting air and burning gas.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nope, not gonna happen. the rest of the world is moving on, the major Auto Manufacturers are all moving to Electric, Europe, Canada, India, Brazil have all announced the end of the internal combustion engine within 10 years.
Not a chance. The US doesn't have the infrastructure to support all electric vehicles now and it won't in 10 years. Maybe in 30 or 40 years it will but we're nowhere near it.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Auto start stop isn't so bad once you get used to it.
It's only active in certain conditions.
As others have said you can temporarily turn it off for each ignition cycle.
There are vendors that offers pig tails that plug into the wiring that disables auto start stop.
Another hack that can work if you have the towing package is to plug in a trailer light tester into the lighting connector, that also disables auto start stop, the tester costs much less than the pig tail option.

DakotaBronco

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport
I'm personally concerned with the excessive wear and tear on the battery system and starter motor. Long term I'm not sold this is a good thing as much as a PR/EPA DEAL
Personally I hate the feature for the fact it creates a "hesitation", if I'm in a turn lane and see an opening I have to either shut that shit off or I feel like I'm going to get in an accident. People I've spoken with about it also bring up the undue wear on the starter.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I always find it funny how random people
On the internet know better than the engineers at Ford that designed a system that is in hundred of thousands of vehicles all over the glove. ?
Trust me, I know a number of those engineers and they will admit, they are given parameters, come up with a functional solution, submit their ideas only to have the design come back with new parameters. Some other engineer says they need "this" or the EPA has some hair brained demands. It's not designed for logic or best laid plans I'd guarantee it. Parts failure is the cornerstone of resale.

kbroderick

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 3.5EB
Personally I hate the feature for the fact it creates a "hesitation", if I'm in a turn lane and see an opening I have to either shut that shit off or I feel like I'm going to get in an accident. People I've spoken with about it also bring up the undue wear on the starter.
Can you hold the BS in place without having the brake fully depressed? I haven't driven one yet (my wife's is on order and, at the current pace, should be here by Christmas of 2030), but on my F-150, the auto start/stop only cuts the engine with the brake fully depressed. If you even lift part-way, the engine restarts (or doesn't cut out, if you do it quickly enough).
The system doesn't bother me much, but I haven't spend much time living in places with significant time spent stopped in traffic, either.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Can you hold the BS in place without having the brake fully depressed? I haven't driven one yet (my wife's is on order and, at the current pace, should be here by Christmas of 2030), but on my F-150, the auto start/stop only cuts the engine with the brake fully depressed. If you even lift part-way, the engine restarts (or doesn't cut out, if you do it quickly enough).
The system doesn't bother me much, but I haven't spend much time living in places with significant time spent stopped in traffic, either.
Yes that "trick" does work playing the brake. Honestly it's easier just hitting the off button. Just seems like a wasted feature. Even read reports stating it's probably saving pennies of gas. Once I get back in my daily routine I will try a week actively using it and one not using it for a tank of gas.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My opinion is that the start-stop feature is a gimmick to improve calculated fuel economy on the EPA Urban Drive Cycle (the standard test drive cycle to determine tailpipe emissions and fuel economy) to improve the Corporate Average Fuel Economy number for automakers. Idle in drive is approximately 30% of the total time of that test, so if the engine is off for that big chunk of time, it adds up to something significant, even if it's only tenths of a mile-per-gallon. Multiply that by the volume of vehicles that are built, and the manufacturer gets a pretty big bump to their Corporate Average Fuel Economy, which is regulated by law. For an automaker that doesn't meet the CAFE requirement, every tenth of a CAFE mpg can be millions of dollars in fines, or forces them to reduce availability of certain models (especially the high profit ones), or deeply discounting high fuel economy vehicles (which is also a loss of money) in order to increase average.

See? Like everything else, it's all about making money.

Otherwise, auto start/stop saves fuel by preventing an operating mode that doesn't use much fuel anyway. Tailpipe emissions are zero at idle with a warmed up catalyst, so no impact there at all.

So, if you like start/stop, keep using it. Not hurting anything, but it may not help much, either, depending on how much time you spend at idle.

Just my two cents worth.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and opinions. You are what makes this forum worthwhile.

YukiSport

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
kbroderick: this is just slightly off topic, but just for info, the BS (at least my Badlands) comes with an "Auto Hold" button on the center console. When activated, every time you stop, you can take your foot off the brake pedal and Auto Stop keeps the brakes applied until you press on the accelerator. I've used it a couple times and find it kinda handy, especially in those traffic back-ups where it's a lot more "stop" and not so much "go".

Sorry that it's taking so long to get your BS. I'm sure you'll enjoy it once it arrives.

GrueBronco

Badlands
First Name
s.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want Badlands
like someone mentioned, it's the hesitation that worries me. i briefly had an X3 base model with auto start/stop and it SUCKED. but was able to turn it off which also sucked. my bro has it in his raptor and he thinks it's not so bad.

also we waste more exponentially upon exponentially gas just coming to a stop and accelerating to speed again. that's where i don't mind some type of kinetic recovery like in the hybrids. but yeah start/stop sucks unless you're forever in traffic or super long traffic lights.
Sponsored