BabyBB

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW, Tesla
Here are our 300 miles initial impressions of the 2022 BS Badlands (order date of 11/2/21) including premium package, Falken WP A/T tires/17" carbon grey wheels and tow package. When we ordered, there was no demo to test drive, so we were very curious on driving characteristics. Please note - we are attempting to break-in the vehicle gently, so no heavy acceleration, braking, hard off-roading, etc.

Drive – We are super impressed with the drive comfort and sound dampening…even without that engine cover that so many people desire. This is much more car like then we expected but also seems to absorb big bumps quite well. There are no rattles or unusual sounds.

Steering – This is my biggest complaint but realize I like tight steering and road feel (but have owned a Ram 2500). The Badlands steering in normal mode is loose. Reminds me of an old Buick sedan...comfortable but does not inspire me to push in corners which is probably good with its higher center of gravity. I have not run it hard in Sport mode at this time and I understand that should stiffen the road feel.

Power – The 2.0 liter is surprisingly strong. I have been trying to baby the thing, but it does want to run. It had no problem climbing to 12,200 feet (Eisenhower Tunnel) even with a reasonably light touch on the accelerator.

Braking – Again, we are in break-in period. They seem to work reasonably well.

Traction – Very impressed, and highly recommend at this point, the Falken WP A/T tires but have not used off-road. They are beasts in the snow… certainly the best non-snow tires I have ever used. Plus, I am very impressed how smooth riding and quite they are at highway speeds.

Comfort and Entertainment System – For what it is, the Badlands is very comfortable. The heater works great. Based on its reputation and price, I expected more from the B&O sound system.

Delivery/defects – The sales rep knows I am fairly demanding/anal and said he checked out the BS prior to our arrival and it was perfect... We did come with the very helpful checklist from the Bronco6G forum along with items suggested on this Forum. The only item we noted during our inspection (beyond having the dealer remove their badge) was:

1. Pilar Trim Piece - Driver side rear pilar trim piece was defective/not attached properly (non-functional [bs] cosmetic plastic trim) and needs to be replaced.

Subsequent to our delivery, we noted:

1. Rubberized Flooring appears to be wrinkled and poorly installed in places. We sent the dealer pics and will bring it
2. Windshield wipers – Passenger side windshield wiper does not go down properly after auto-wipe. The dealer will checkout and thinks they can adjust. I know this has been discussed on this Forum and some people think it is a "feature."

After 100 miles, - I checked the torque on the wheel lug nuts (no, I did not bring my torque wrench to our vehicle pickup inspection). I found that the lug nuts needed a slight amount of additional torque (I have a few torque wrenches so am confident that mine is reasonably accurate)

Key Fob, Ford tech, etc. - The key fob is huge which is ridicules (how about a Tesla style app and with a backup credit card) and Ford tech/websites, and owner’s manual are buggy and need quality improvements.

Future additions – We will probably add a roof crossbars to carry gear and weather tech type floor mats to replace the standard ones that absorb mud and water.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Good write up. The ride will improve in terms of softness bump absorb once you get more miles on it.

Steering on mine extremely tight and precise.

I found seat cushions more comfortable once more miles.

Mine has 2200 miles on it now. But my wife been stepping on the gas pedal hard since it was new. Changed oil around 1200 miles. And yes mine real strong runner very impressive.

Ours seems to run a little smoother better with premium. But thats a personal preference up to individual what ever one wants to do useless to debate it.

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
Here are our 300 miles initial impressions of the 2022 BS Badlands (order date of 11/2/21) including premium package, Falken WP A/T tires/17" carbon grey wheels and tow package. When we ordered, there was no demo to test drive, so we were very curious on driving characteristics. Please note - we are attempting to break-in the vehicle gently, so no heavy acceleration, braking, hard off-roading, etc.

Drive – We are super impressed with the drive comfort and sound dampening…even without that engine cover that so many people desire. This is much more car like then we expected but also seems to absorb big bumps quite well. There are no rattles or unusual sounds.

Steering – This is my biggest complaint but realize I like tight steering and road feel (but have owned a Ram 2500). The Badlands steering in normal mode is loose. Reminds me of an old Buick sedan...comfortable but does not inspire me to push in corners which is probably good with its higher center of gravity. I have not run it hard in Sport mode at this time and I understand that should stiffen the road feel.

Power – The 2.0 liter is surprisingly strong. I have been trying to baby the thing, but it does want to run. It had no problem climbing to 12,200 feet (Eisenhower Tunnel) even with a reasonably light touch on the accelerator.

Braking – Again, we are in break-in period. They seem to work reasonably well.

Traction – Very impressed, and highly recommend at this point, the Falken WP A/T tires but have not used off-road. They are beasts in the snow… certainly the best non-snow tires I have ever used. Plus, I am very impressed how smooth riding and quite they are at highway speeds.

Comfort and Entertainment System – For what it is, the Badlands is very comfortable. The heater works great. Based on its reputation and price, I expected more from the B&O sound system.

Delivery/defects – The sales rep knows I am fairly demanding/anal and said he checked out the BS prior to our arrival and it was perfect... We did come with the very helpful checklist from the Bronco6G forum along with items suggested on this Forum. The only item we noted during our inspection (beyond having the dealer remove their badge) was:

1. Pilar Trim Piece - Driver side rear pilar trim piece was defective/not attached properly (non-functional [bs] cosmetic plastic trim) and needs to be replaced.

Subsequent to our delivery, we noted:

1. Rubberized Flooring appears to be wrinkled and poorly installed in places. We sent the dealer pics and will bring it
2. Windshield wipers – Passenger side windshield wiper does not go down properly after auto-wipe. The dealer will checkout and thinks they can adjust. I know this has been discussed on this Forum and some people think it is a "feature."

After 100 miles, - I checked the torque on the wheel lug nuts (no, I did not bring my torque wrench to our vehicle pickup inspection). I found that the lug nuts needed a slight amount of additional torque (I have a few torque wrenches so am confident that mine is reasonably accurate)

Key Fob, Ford tech, etc. - The key fob is huge which is ridicules (how about a Tesla style app and with a backup credit card) and Ford tech/websites, and owner’s manual are buggy and need quality improvements.

Future additions – We will probably add a roof crossbars to carry gear and weather tech type floor mats to replace the standard ones that absorb mud and water.
Can you share your "very helpful checklist" that you used to self inspect your BS at pickup? Thanks.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Looking forward to getting mine soon.

H B

Badlands
First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Can you share your "very helpful checklist" that you used to self inspect your BS at pickup? Thanks.
This was the list I compiled from various internet forums. I had pictures included in my request but they didn't copy to this post. I emailed my dealer to check the following items and said that I would wait to pick up my BS Badlands until I had received the service report. The dealer cheerfully complied and found that the engine cover was missing, and they ordered that in for me. There was no charge for the checkup and I have in writing that all these items were ok. The only thing that didn't come as expected was the tilt in the headrests - I took delivery without that.

1) Confirm that both metal (not fiberboard!) air deflectors (gold items shown in the Ford manual) are installed on both sides. Current info on the ford website for the 2022 badlands model clearly shows an engine cover and also clearly states that skid plates are metal
2) Confirm the engine cover and hood insulator are installed (please order if missing):
3) Confirm that the backseat headrest is of the fold-down type and not the non-folding type:
4) Confirm rear suspension modules are correctly attached to the subframe.
5) Confirm the front lower control arms are correctly attached and of the correct type.
6) Confirm there are no outstanding recall issues (21S38), 21C31, 21S03, 21S02, ...)
7) Confirm the front headrest's tilt and height can be adjusted.
8) Confirm the car body wasn't damaged during transport.

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Another CO badlands. Ours is 2 months old and 2k miles in. Zero complaints. You mention steering, this is a offroad biased vehicle. Even in sport it is never going to drive car like.
They drive even better with bigger rubber on them. Add a lift and some 70 series sidewall tires on it. Like rolling in a tank.
Ford Bronco Sport 2022 - BS Badlands 300 Mile Impressions IMG_20220623_170900052_HDR

Reactions: MJE

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Another CO badlands. Ours is 2 months old and 2k miles in. Zero complaints. You mention steering, this is a offroad biased vehicle. Even in sport it is never going to drive car like.
They drive even better with bigger rubber on them. Add a lift and some 70 series sidewall tires on it. Like rolling in a tank.
Ford Bronco Sport 2022 - BS Badlands 300 Mile Impressions IMG_20220623_170900052_HDR
Yes agree but will a 70 fit that is the. ? I am looking at 245/70/17 falken wildpecks that are 30.1/2 inch tall. If anyone has any input please share . Thanks going on-a 2021 first edition
Ford Bronco Sport 2022 - BS Badlands 300 Mile Impressions 134AF002-C435-4AB5-B91A-BF9D980DDCFD

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Yes agree but will a 70 fit that is the. ? I am looking at 245/70/17 falken wildpecks that are 30.1/2 inch tall. If anyone has any input please share . Thanks going on-a 2021 first edition
Ford Bronco Sport 2022 - BS Badlands 300 Mile Impressions 134AF002-C435-4AB5-B91A-BF9D980DDCFD
235/70 will all day. 245/70 will not unless lifted

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
The steering is numb. Very disconnected. Had nothing to do with off-road bias, is Fords weird power steering

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
This was the list I compiled from various internet forums.
I would add to this open the hood and check all fluid levels. You're going to be sorely disappointed if your engine seizes a few miles down the road because there was no oil in it.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
245/70/17 is going to rub in certain conditions (wheel turned and suspension compressed) whether you have a lift or not. The rub happens at the back of the wheel well, so the rub just happens when more compressed if you have a lift but it still happens.
Sponsored