MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Fiesta ST
It's still a bit sloppy today so better pics might have to wait until it's a little sunnier/drier. but here are a few Bronco Sport Badlands shots next to our (soon to be for sale) 2004 Escape XLT AWD:

What is interesting is that put it up against the 1st generation Ford Escape and I think it is blindingly obvious that this is the spiritual successor to that vehicle (which Car and Driver called ground-breaking when it was released in 2001). Clearly someone at Ford design had one of these Escapes around when sketching out the Sport.

The full-on Bronco coming later this year is definitely meant to be the successor to the original Bronco. But for myself (and Evelia, my S/O, who will be driving it most of the time), that's fine as our two Escapes were as close to the ideal all-around, go-anywhere, do anything vehicles we've owned. And this already feels like the perfect replacement.

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: 20210102_113729

2004 Escape XLT AWD -> 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands:

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: 20210102_113746

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: BS ESP - Dash

2021 Bronco Sport Badlands -> 2004 Escape XLT AWD Interior:
Sponsored

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It's still a bit sloppy today so better pics might have to wait until it's a little sunnier/drier. but here are a few Bronco Sport Badlands shots next to our (soon to be for sale) 2004 Escape XLT AWD:

What is interesting is that put it up against the 1st generation Ford Escape and I think it is blindingly obvious that this is the spiritual successor to that vehicle (which Car and Driver called ground-breaking when it was released in 2001). Clearly someone at Ford design had one of these Escapes around when sketching out the Sport.

The full-on Bronco coming later this year is definitely meant to be the successor to the original Bronco. But for myself (and Evelia, my S/O, who will be driving it most of the time), that's fine as our two Escapes were as close to the ideal all-around, go-anywhere, do anything vehicles we've owned. And this already feels like the perfect replacement.

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: 20210102_113729

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: 20210102_113746

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: BS ESP - Dash

2021 Bronco Sport Badlands -> 2004 Escape XLT AWD Interior:
Thanks for the pictures! Are they the same color?

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
I think there is even MORE similarity to the 2009ish generation. I owned one of those and they are strikingly similar.

OP
OP
MKohlman

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the pictures! Are they the same color?
Technically no. The Escape is Redfire Pearl Metallic and the B.S. is Rapid Red Metallic. But certainly side-by-side the colors are almost the same. And Evelia does like Red. ?

Arrow007

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
I had the 2004 Ford Escape XLT and loved it. Looking forward to my Badlands which is taking forever.

KH_59

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 F-150, 2017 Explorer Limited
I think there is even MORE similarity to the 2009ish generation. I owned one of those and they are strikingly similar.
Agreed.... new Bronco Sport has a lot of similarity to the 2nd gen Escape. (random photo from the web, not my vehicle)

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands vs. 2004 Escape XLT AWD: 1609680060205

CDN Jen

Badlands
First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, 2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Thank you so much for the pics. I've always thought the Bronco Sport was a reincarnation of the early boxy Escapes, which I love the look of. And the Sport definitely fills a need in Ford's lineup as the new Escapes look more and more like a crossover hatchback.

I have a 2014 Escape and I miss the rugged boxy SUVs of the past. I can't wait to trade it in for a rapid red Badlands Sport!

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I have a 2010 boxy Escape v6 (Limited Trim) and I love the fact the BS is very similar to it in proportions, and that it seems like an improved version of it with more tech/comfort features AND more off-road capabilities. Only "downgrade" from the 2010 Escape is the towing capacity, I think.

(The Alto Blue thread has some side-by-side pics of boxy Escape/BS)

OP
OP
MKohlman

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2010 boxy Escape v6 (Limited Trim) and I love the fact the BS is very similar to it in proportions, and that it seems like an improved version of it with more tech/comfort features AND more off-road capabilities. Only "downgrade" from the 2010 Escape is the towing capacity, I think.

(The Alto Blue thread has some side-by-side pics of boxy Escape/BS)
Tow rating is down from from 3,500 in the early Escape XLT V6 to 2,200 in the Bronco Sport 2.0L I4. There has been a downward trend in towing capacities in the U.S. for smaller vehicles, with some of this the result of smaller engines with less low-end torque as well as cars are simply heavier today, which raises the total trailer+vehicle weight. It was certainly something I considered when ordering our Badlands (vs. some other potential choices) but in all honesty in our last two Escapes we rarely pulled anything over 2,000lbs (we had a Burro Camper for a number of years that fully loaded was about 1,500 pounds and while our Escape pulled it fine, you most certainly knew it was there).
Sponsored