CSSM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 XV Crosstrek
Do we know what is going to make the Baby Bronco so rugged? What is going to be so different from an AWD Escape?
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Do we know what is going to make the Baby Bronco so rugged? What is going to be so different from an AWD Escape?
not exactly. But a few things would be
1 More power baby.
2 Bigger thicker tires (Escape 225/65r17)I’m hoping for something like 245/65r17
3 better suspension
4 good awd system. The AWD in the Escape is OK. It does it’s job for daily use. But look at that system vs the Focus RS. Same platform but the RS has a much more aggressive transmission can send a lot more torque to each individual wheel. (Better traction).
Lots of rugged 2wd trucks and SUVs do that and use the brakes to help grip.

Grove_LA

Badlands
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
4wd option? I’m hoping it has something like the explorer’s terrain management system, good ground clearance and the possibility of giving it a little lift

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
"Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation"

Then it must have a manual transmission. A slushbox or worse yet, a CVT would certainly speak poseur

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation"

Then it must have a manual transmission. A slushbox or worse yet, a CVT would certainly speak poseur
you know 99% of off road SUVs including Land Rover are autos. And most sports cars are DCT. Manuals are no longer a sign of a sporty or hardcore vehicle.

Definitely NOT a CVT. (At least on non hybrid)
but 8 speed auto. Yea
Cvt on hybrid models .

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
There is a reason why Tacoma still offers a decently-loaded TRD with a manual. Some still prefer the experience, despite market trends.
I know we likely won't see a manual Bronco (even full-sized), but don't think that there's not many of us that still buy on that factor. I bought (and own) my last two vehicle just because of the manual. One of the interests of the Bronco was all the early speculation that it would be a "boxy SUV, and likely offered with a manual". That's good stuff.
And would have provided some of the "retro experience" that seems to be key to this vehicle.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a reason why Tacoma still offers a decently-loaded TRD with a manual. Some still prefer the experience, despite market trends.
I know we likely won't see a manual Bronco (even full-sized), but don't think that there's not many of us that still buy on that factor. I bought (and own) my last two vehicle just because of the manual. One of the interests of the Bronco was all the early speculation that it would be a "boxy SUV, and likely offered with a manual". That's good stuff.
And would have provided some of the "retro experience" that seems to be key to this vehicle.
the Tacoma is an older platform as well. And midsized trucks will have a manual for at least one more generation. But probably to much longer after that.
BroncoBronco will probably get a manual.
BroncoMaverick will definitely not.

Outlawed711

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ford Bronco ll
This is a picture 6 months after I got my latest Ford Bronco ll... I wonder what the staff is like in their off time, leisure activities and things? Do they ever go off roading themselves or are they strictly city folk? I know how to build a good working off-road ford(not to mention good looking too) vehicle and improvement ideas that need to be applied. They should employ me with the design team. I've tried to make contact with Ford on the subject but no communication yet. To me I would think having employees with 20+ years of off-road lifestyles would be a grand team. Cause I've about broke all my fingers trying to keep them crossed on certain aspects of the new Bronco cause I think a majority of Bronco enthusiasts would hate to see the Bronco end up looking all cattywampus like the Mustang did in the 90's with no resemblance to the blood line..

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation IMG_06791

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation Screenshot_20191218-130418

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
I have already written off the "Baby Bronco", after seeing the spy footage of the interior and it had one of those in-your-face LCD panel, so high up on the dash. (Like the Explorer/joke).

And after seeing the latest Bronco spy-pics (2-door & 4-door on other site), I think the actual 4-door 2021 bronco may be too "off road" for me, and what I really want it a more rugged EdgeSport that can go off road like a ranger. But have luxuries too. (subsequently, The interior spyshots of the bronco, show in-dash touch screen)

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have already written off the "Baby Bronco", after seeing the spy footage of the interior and it had one of those in-your-face LCD panel, so high up on the dash. (Like the Explorer/joke).

And after seeing the latest Bronco spy-pics (2-door & 4-door on other site), I think the actual 4-door 2021 bronco may be too "off road" for me, and what I really want it a more rugged EdgeSport that can go off road like a ranger. But have luxuries too. (subsequently, The interior spyshots of the bronco, show in-dash touch screen)
Everyone is going big in dash touchscreen. Even multiple.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it was in-dash, I would not have a gripe.
you get my point tho. And I’ve been in the new Explorer. It doesn’t extend above the sight line of the hood. But it is silly

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Agree 100% on the "tablet on the dash". I have no idea who is driving this marketing, but it kills the aftermarket audio option.
And no, today's OEM offerings are nowhere near the sound quality one can get from even a midrange aftermarket solution.
In dash double-DIN would be my preference. I with the automotive industry would have gotten together and created a unified infotainment form-factor to allow easier aftermarket integration. It would have also allowed OEM customization for the customer.

To summarize, the big panel is a big turnoff for me. And I'm not a tech-challenged old fogy, I've actually spent my entire career in tech.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
As for the rugged part, most comments focus on the offroad prowess, I think about utility too.

Things that would have appealed to me, a real rear "bumper ledge" even if not a real bumper, to set stuff on. This sounds trivial, but when I'm hooking up a dirtbike/boat trailer or other trailer related function, I miss not have the ledge to set the trailer lock, or my boat keys, or something on. Also, the independently opening vertical liftgate glass. This is helpful when hauling long items occasionally. The blockiness of the rear cargo area they may get right. The modern CUVs, with all their curves don't have the same usable space, despite cubic volume ratings. I don't haul stuff that is conformal to odd shapes.

My old '06 Escape had these features, but none of the current aerodynamic "jellybean" compact SUVs maintained that, including the Escape. That is why I had to replace it with two vehicles to maintain the same capability (CX-5 for commuting/Colorado for utility). The old Escape actually served me well in both roles, it took two vehicles to maintain that, at least for me. I've been hoping the Bronco Sport would help me re-consolidate my fleet to one.

I wait, skeptically, hoping Ford will get this right for my needs and wants.
Sponsored