1.5L Ecoboost Dragon Engine Review by Car and Driver

Simmy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Got curious how the 1.5L is received by the auto journalists in reviews. Came across this encouraging feedback from Car and Driver's review of the 2020 Escape.

The Escape's base powerplant, a turbocharged 1.5-liter inline-three-cylinder, produces 181 horsepower and 190 lb-ft of torque, which comes on quickly and relatively smoothly and is fully adequate for getting this compact ute up to a moderate pace. Which is a good thing, considering it is the only mill to be had on S and SE trim levels. The run from zero to 60 mph in our all-wheel-drive SE test car takes 7.7 seconds, and the quarter-mile is dispatched in 15.9 seconds at 87 mph—leagues ahead of the 9.2- and 16.9-second measurements we recorded for a previous-generation front-drive Escape with the now-defunct turbo 1.5-liter inline-four. There's a throaty warble to the triple's engine note under load that could only come from an inline-three. Our one complaint is some faint boominess inside the cabin when the cylinder-deactivation system occasionally kicks in and idles one of the cylinders.
Thought that might be helpful for anyone like me that wasn't familiar with the engine before it was posted in the Bronco Sport leaks.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
Got curious how the 1.5L is received by the auto journalists in reviews. Came across this encouraging feedback from Car and Driver's review of the 2020 Escape.

The Escape's base powerplant, a turbocharged 1.5-liter inline-three-cylinder, produces 181 horsepower and 190 lb-ft of torque, which comes on quickly and relatively smoothly and is fully adequate for getting this compact ute up to a moderate pace. Which is a good thing, considering it is the only mill to be had on S and SE trim levels. The run from zero to 60 mph in our all-wheel-drive SE test car takes 7.7 seconds, and the quarter-mile is dispatched in 15.9 seconds at 87 mph—leagues ahead of the 9.2- and 16.9-second measurements we recorded for a previous-generation front-drive Escape with the now-defunct turbo 1.5-liter inline-four. There's a throaty warble to the triple's engine note under load that could only come from an inline-three. Our one complaint is some faint boominess inside the cabin when the cylinder-deactivation system occasionally kicks in and idles one of the cylinders.
Thought that might be helpful for anyone like me that wasn't familiar with the engine before it was posted in the Bronco Sport leaks.
I wrote up a brief impression of the Dragon-powered 2020 C2 Escape that I drove, on an Escape forum I'm on (I'm chrisgb over there). Car and Driver is a little more euphemistic than my impression: "throaty warble? "Faint boominess?"

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
IMHO, this engine should be left for the Escape. The Sport should have the 2.0L as the base and "maybe" something like the 2.3L for the top end ....

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
IMHO, this engine should be left for the Escape. The Sport should have the 2.0L as the base and "maybe" something like the 2.3L for the top end ....
Agree, but I think it's too late.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Until they are building units, it's not too late.... just saying....

mrblint

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
I would like to get a car whose engine is not ruined if the timing belt/chain should ever fail. Is the smaller engine a non-interference engine like the larger one?

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I would like to get a car whose engine is not ruined if the timing belt/chain should ever fail. Is the smaller engine a non-interference engine like the larger one?
I would be surprised if any modern Ford engine was non-interference. Is there a source for your non-interference comment on the 2.0L?

I don't know the quality of the website below, but it's the only thing I could find for the 2020 Escape. The site says that both the 1.5L-3 and 2.0L-4 Ecoboosts are interference engines. However, there are conflicts in some site data. The timing belt replacement is listed as a 60-100k mile. Prudent advice, but not inline with the 2020 Escape owner's manual (150k mile replacement). I would not recommend testing the 150k replacement interval, so this may be where they are going with the safer data.

https://www.autopadre.com/belt-or-chain/ford-escape

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
If you are not towing anything and not in a hurry running from twister, the 1.5 is fine. I agree with others, the 2.0 should have been standard with the 2.3 as the upgrade, except for the Raptor Sport with the 2.7 :) I'll bet the 2.3 is added to 2022 editions. There is a HP war going on now with the hybrids and electrics, many boasting 300+hp and good torque because of the electric motors. It's all about selling / review points even if you don't need the HP. Engines like 1.5 and 2.0 are going out of favor, again if you like casual, relaxing driving, or see the $5.00+ per gallon gas coming... it's fine.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
If you are not towing anything and not in a hurry running from twister, the 1.5 is fine.,,,,,,,
and,,,,,,
again if you like casual, relaxing driving, or see the $5.00+ per gallon gas coming... it's fine.
I resemble that remark :)

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
FWIW, a non interference engines is larger/taller by design.
Cost more, that alone kills it. Matters little to me anymore as I plan to trade up before that 150k mile service.
At 14 years old I could no longer get a rotary blade coupler for my escape, that makes it a FWD only suv.
I'll be trading to new at or about every six years at most from now on.
Or sooner if Ford Entices me with new cool stuff. :'P

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Since I ordered mine for hauling my canoes down dirt fire roads to the canoe launches and winter driving, the 1.5 is just fine. Not planning on doing rock climbing in Moab with it. Don't need a bigger engine for my use. I drove both before making my decision. Most people won't do anything but a campground and Walmart parking lots anyway. The plus is the reports of people now getting up to 30 mpg on the highway. Not going to get that with the 2.0. I'd stick with the Escapes (I've had four) but they turned them into a bloated Focus. At least the Bronco looks like its made for my use.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
Since I ordered mine for hauling my canoes down dirt fire roads to the canoe launches and winter driving, the 1.5 is just fine. Not planning on doing rock climbing in Moab with it. Don't need a bigger engine for my use. I drove both before making my decision. Most people won't do anything but a campground and Walmart parking lots anyway. The plus is the reports of people now getting up to 30 mpg on the highway. Not going to get that with the 2.0. I'd stick with the Escapes (I've had four) but they turned them into a bloated Focus. At least the Bronco looks like its made for my use.
Exactly why I ordered a BB+BB with 1.5. I need to get back in NYS Wildlife Management Area roads, drive through deep Great Lakes Lake Effect snow, seasonal use highways and roads in the ADK's and other parts of the state during various times of the year, throw a canoe or kayak on top, throw my dog and hunting gear in the back and drive into a field or my fishing or ice fishing gear....but mostly drive my fat butt to and from work probably 90% of the time on flat paved roads. With gas creeping up and I can see it going to $4 a gallon by the end of summer and perhaps $5 a gallon by the end of the year, I will be happy to a have utilitarian all purpose new vehicle that gets significantly better fuel economy than my current Jeep Liberty Sport with a bunch of nice creature features at a pretty decent price.

Elvissimon

Badlands
First Name
elvis simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford broco
In case you are not towing anything and not in a rush running from twister, the 1.5 is fine. I concur with others, the 2.0 ought to have been standard with the 2.3 as the overhaul, aside from the Raptor Sport with the 2.7 :) I'll risk everything is added to 2022 releases. There is a HP war going on now with the cross breeds and electrics, many flaunting 300+hp and great force due to the electric engines. Everything's tied in with selling/survey focuses regardless of whether you needn't bother with the HP. Motors like 1.5 and 2.0 are leaving favor, again on the off chance that you like easygoing, loosening up driving, or see the $5.00+ per gallon gas coming... it's fine.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
In case you are not towing anything and not in a rush running from twister, the 1.5 is fine. I concur with others, the 2.0 ought to have been standard with the 2.3 as the overhaul, aside from the Raptor Sport with the 2.7 :) I'll risk everything is added to 2022 releases. There is a HP war going on now with the cross breeds and electrics, many flaunting 300+hp and great force due to the electric engines. Everything's tied in with selling/survey focuses regardless of whether you needn't bother with the HP. Motors like 1.5 and 2.0 are leaving favor, again on the off chance that you like easygoing, loosening up driving, or see the $5.00+ per gallon gas coming... it's fine.
The horsepower wars might be killed by what Biden proposed the other day in regards to MPG for new vehicles starting in 2023. Gas prices today in NYS were $3.15 a gallon locally. Steadily creeping up higher and higher. I see $4 a gallon gas coming very soon. The 1.5L Dragon is probably here to stay to help offset the F-150, F-250 truck production MPG. https://apnews.com/article/technology-joe-biden-government-and-politics-climate-change-climate-dd404e566e5f849f2aa05662f4752e8a

abrahamova

Big Bend
First Name
abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mercedes benz c180

thanks.
Sponsored