TomRetired

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Can anyone post a picture of the 1.5 L engine location for this part and advise what to watch out for prior to it getting fixed. Would really help us non-mechanic types.
Sponsored

HUSBANDOFBS

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB
Shows at 2:33 in this vid. This is actually a very good one to watch all the way through.

OP
OP
TomRetired

TomRetired

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Good stuff, thanks. The recall does state right side oil separator which indicates there are two units? Is the engine shown in the video the latest 1.5 L build?

OP
OP
TomRetired

TomRetired

Big Bend
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This may clarify things a little better. The oil separator is actually on the top left side of the engine

Manufacturer Recall Number 22S21
Description of the Defect The engine oil separator may develop an oil leak
FMVSS 1NR
FMVSS 2NR
Description of Safety Risk If sufficient engine oil leaks, accumulates, and migrates to an ignition source, an underhood fire can occur, increasing the risk of injury.
Description of Cause Crack damage at the edge of the oil separator housing results in a loss of seal support which may lead to an oil leak between the oil separator and engine camshaft cover
Identification of Any Warning that can OccurThe customer may smell or see oil

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Good stuff, thanks. The recall does state right side oil separator which indicates there are two units? Is the engine shown in the video the latest 1.5 L build?
I believe it's on the right side (from drivers seat point of view). So seems it's the one he talks about at 2:33. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I added a catch can, so am I getting double the "protection". My can is about half full every 1,000 miles. I change oil about every 3500 miles.

wbrainbow

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy
Shows at 2:33 in this vid. This is actually a very good one to watch all the way through.

It’s the part that has the hose with the blue ring on it. The left side of the photo is the front of the engine. You can see the coolant reservoir in the picture for reference.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Oil Separator Recall 1.5 L engine B20C2ED6-6723-47AF-B1A8-156B11DF2B99

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Interesting. I was not aware that these engines are both direct AND port injected. That means there is absolutely no need for a catch can, which many tout as a way to prevent intake valve contamination. With port injection, the backside of the intake valves are constantly bathed in fuel, which will prevent carbon build up.

The bottom line: Unless you are running a tune which significantly increases engine power, don't waste your money on catch can.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Interesting. I was not aware that these engines are both direct AND port injected. That means there is absolutely no need for a catch can, which many tout as a way to prevent intake valve contamination. With port injection, the backside of the intake valves are constantly bathed in fuel, which will prevent carbon build up.

The bottom line: Unless you are running a tune which significantly increases engine power, don't waste your money on catch can.
I thought the 1.5L was direct injection only.

Regarding the add-on catch can, mine is collecting fluid, thus that much less getting to the valves, even though the port injection is cleaning them.... Thinking about this a bit more, my catch can is catching the fluid before it gets to fords oil separator, hmmm.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I thought the 1.5L was direct injection only.
I did too, until I watched the video. The presenter clearly shows (@1:35) the high-pressure fuel pump supplying two separate fuel rails: one for the injectors directly feeding the cylinders, and one feeding the port injectors.

Regarding the add-on catch can, mine is collecting fluid, thus that much less getting to the valves, even though the port injection is cleaning them.... Thinking about this a bit more, my catch can is catching the fluid before it gets to fords oil separator, hmmm.
Yup. I think these engines would definitely benefit from a catch can if tuned to produce more power, but not in stock form. A tune to increase power will almost certainly come with a minimum fuel octane requirement. Oil vapors in the PCV system can change the overall octane of the fuel/air charge, so a catch can can help mitigate their effect.

I don't believe the 2.0L engines are both direct and port injected; I haven't actually looked at mine yet.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Can anyone post a picture of the 1.5 L engine location for this part and advise what to watch out for prior to it getting fixed. Would really help us non-mechanic types.
Circled In Red is the right air/oil separator

(not the hose in the pic but the black box underneath it !)

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Oil Separator Recall 1.5 L engine 7730305E-DFD0-41F3-B57C-7BC2872FBFAF

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
From several of the separator/catch-can vids I've seen the descriptor "right side" seems to indicate crankcase outgoing ventilation. Opposed to that is the "left side" clean air intake to make up for the displaced crankcase vapor once removed. I have not found the system Ford uses for the "left-side clean air" supply yet.
Any input is welcome

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I believe it's on the right side (from drivers seat point of view). So seems it's the one he talks about at 2:33. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I added a catch can, so am I getting double the "protection". My can is about half full every 1,000 miles. I change oil about every 3500 miles.
That was just the info I was hoping to find.
Before investing in a catch-can I wanted to know if they were having any effect being downstream of an air/oil separator. By your post I can see there is a sufficient amount of waste oil/condensation slipping past the separator.
Positive info to base a catch-can purchase.

One remaining question.

By using tandem oil removers inline how might this affect the level of air pulled through the vacuum? If it is slowed by the additional catch-can is the crankcase being ventilated sufficiently?

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
That was just the info I was hoping to find.
Before investing in a catch-can I wanted to know if they were having any effect being downstream of an air/oil separator. By your post I can see there is a sufficient amount of waste oil/condensation slipping past the separator.
Positive info to base a catch-can purchase.

One remaining question.

By using tandem oil removers inline how might this affect the level of air pulled through the vacuum? If it is slowed by the additional catch-can is the crankcase being ventilated sufficiently?
I wondered this also, having 2 separators in line. I can only guess at how the Ford separator works, catching oil/condensation, and re-routing it back to the oil pan? The add on separator (JLT in my case) catches it and I dump it out.

I do not know of the construction of the Ford separator, does it have some sort of filter/screen built-in...? The JLT separator as a filter/screen in the cap section that catches the liquid to drop it in the can, letting air pass through. I haven't read up on maintenance of the JLT, but maybe that filter/screen may eventually get clogged up?? Suppose I should look into this. Air is re-routed through the JLT a bit, as opposed to a direct shot to the Ford separator, but I can't imagine it makes that much of a difference. BUT, if I forget to empty the JLT, that full can of fluid is gonna get sucked into the Ford separator in mass. Can't imagine that would be good.

Does having a couple in tandem provide extra benefit, I don't know. Seems logical. I change my oil every 3-4k miles, so the amount of fluid I dump out is minimal (maybe 2 full cans). Maybe dumping a quart for those going 6k or more between oil changes??

My gas mileage is up around 28mpg. I haven't noticed any loss of power. Again I should look into the maintenance of the add-on catch can.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Got the recall inspection done yesterday. Guy came to my house and left 10 minutes later. Showed me the part and inspected a few other things also.

I got a clean bill of health, no problems.
Sponsored