Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport,’18 Ford Fiesta,’92 Ford Explorer
if the engine has the dual fuel injectors, than a catch can is a waste of money. I’m really not sold on the catch can idea anyway. Yeah i can see it catches a lot of crap. But honestly running a premium synthetic oil (will have a much higher vapor point) and a good Italian tuneup every tank of fuel will go along ways. And even if you did have to bead blast the valves to clean them, in most cases you can have the intake off of these motors in 30 minutes or less. Just my opinion though!!
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Yeah catch can is a waste of money. Who cares if slimy oily residue builds up inside intercooler, charge tubes, intake manifold, intake sensors, throttle body ect over time. Ignorance is a bliss so what you don't know won't hurt you.

Goombah

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 & 2021 Bronco Sport BB
Just my 2 cents, I have an oil separator on my F150 3.5 ecoboost. With that said it does not have the dual injection system. That was one of the reasons I picked the 1.5 because it does. Using a top tier fuel should solve any carbon build up problems on the intake valves. Save your money. 2.0 EB did not adopt the dual injection system.

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
if the engine has the dual fuel injectors, than a catch can is a waste of money. I’m really not sold on the catch can idea anyway. Yeah i can see it catches a lot of crap. But honestly running a premium synthetic oil (will have a much higher vapor point) and a good Italian tuneup every tank of fuel will go along ways. And even if you did have to bead blast the valves to clean them, in most cases you can have the intake off of these motors in 30 minutes or less. Just my opinion though!!
The "Italian Tune-Up" won't help in a Direct Injection only motor. The valves never get washed with fuel. In the 1.5 EB, it has dual injection, both port and direct, so it shouldn't require any additional maintenance. While the higher quality synthetic oils is never a bad thing, the oil vapor still exists, and will still collect on the hot valve surface if you don't have dual fuel injection. So, in a motor without it, a catch can is a wise investment and incredibly easy to install. On the 1.5EB in our Broncos however, I don't feel it's strictly necessary as the valves get washed with fuel on a regular basis throughout normal operation.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport,’18 Ford Fiesta,’92 Ford Explorer
Yeah catch can is a waste of money. Who cares if slimy oily residue builds up inside intercooler, charge tubes, intake manifold, intake sensors, throttle body ect over time. Ignorance is a bliss so what you don't know won't hurt you.
You’ve obviously never seen inside the intake system of pretty much any Diesel engine. Diesels have run crankcase breathers that dump before the turbo long before direct injected gasoline engines were even thought of. It’s nothing to get half a quart of oil/water mix that sits in the bottom of the intercooler. But I guess ignorance is bliss if you believe all the companies out there trying to make a buck on a problem that may never happen!

Last edited:

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
My catch can arrived today and is getting installed on Wednesday for day one.

BSB75

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands CO
So the 2.0L which only has direct injection, does it have a catch can available? Only see one for the 1.5L which has direct and port injection so not sure why that would be available and not the 2.0L

WoodmanMN

Base
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
So the 2.0L which only has direct injection, does it have a catch can available? Only see one for the 1.5L which has direct and port injection so not sure why that would be available and not the 2.0L
There are TONS of oil separators for the 2.0EB motor. Tons of Fusions, Focus, Escapes with 2.0EB running oil catch cans.

Steelbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have actually been in contact with. JLT Perfomance on this very subject. Their response was, "We do plan to if we ever get our hands on one! We know in 2019 the 2.0 EB changed PCV connections so it maybe easier than the older 2.0’s."
Living about five hours away I offered to drive down and be a test subject but understandably they wanted someone just a little closer. Just patiently waiting now.

Goombah

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 & 2021 Bronco Sport BB
My F150 3.5 EB has an oil separator, I put on shortly after I purchased the truck. My 3.5 does not have dual injectors. As far as our BS 1.5, it does have dual injectors, I feel no need to put an oil separator on it. The Port injectors will keep the valve clean. And I alway use a top tier fuel. Also best oil for any Ecoboost is Penzoil Platinum. Just my 2 cents. And 50 years of turning wrenches.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Using an oil separator is a great idea, unfortunately in some states like California they are not CARB approved and considered illegal, and are to be used offroad only.
Sponsored