playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Sponsored vid, but a nice departure from all the usual youtube reviews. Shows gear setup, mounting the crossbars, yakima skyrise+awning, and bike hitch. Goal zero and Dometic fridge too!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Njia

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac XT5, Ford Escape
I love REI! Great brand, great company, and great people. So cool seeing them put together this adventure in a Bronco Sport!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My Gas Ryobi Inverter Generator can peak @ 2200 watts, runs @ 2000.
I've ran a 6000 btu window a/c with it at a fuel rate of 1 gallon per 7.5 hours.
It was only $550.
No long recharge time, I give it a 15 minute cool down and a three minute refuel and off I go.
It's very quiet. I park it 50 feet away with a proper extension cord.
Just sayin'

OP
OP
playdohpy

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ya I don't think they need 2000w to keep that fridge running, especially if they're using the bronco sport as a sag wagon and charging the station via 12v DC while following the bikers. Maybe if they were to leave the vehicle for like 5 days stationary, but even then you should be able to plug in solar panels to charge it too. Most of the overland rig videos I've seen don't go above 1000w so I think that piece is overkill, but then again we'll see if it is or isn't in the series when episodes come out.

Regardless, I'm excited for this series from REI because I love REI too. (Just got my member dividend the other day $$$)

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've ran a 6000 btu window a/c with it at a fuel rate of 1 gallon per 7.5 hours.
It was only $550.
No long recharge time, I give it a 15 minute cool down and a three minute refuel and off I go.
Just sayin'
You're comparing that to a battery, essentially.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
It was only $550.
Just sayin'
It ain't quiet if you're at a campground, or have campers even remotely in earshot. I don't mind generators so much at home, but out in the wild, they're about as uncool as it gets. I have a 1200w battery station similar to the Goal Zero. It charges in an hour. It's not dead silent, it has a fan for cooling, but you can't hear it at about 30 feet away. I've never tried to run it off solar, not really sure how that would go. And yeah, it was pricey, but I really didn't want to deal with having to carry gas. It also weighs a hell of a lot less than a comparably sized generator, and doesn't make a mess or get greasy. Just kinda depends on priorities, I guess. They'll get cheaper eventually.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
It ain't quiet if you're at a campground, or have campers even remotely in earshot. I don't mind generators so much at home, but out in the wild, they're about as uncool as it gets. I have a 1200w battery station similar to the Goal Zero. It charges in an hour. It's not dead silent, it has a fan for cooling, but you can't hear it at about 30 feet away. Etc.....
Roger that. I never considered a campground environment.
My use of the Gas generator was in a place where no one would notice the sound.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Ya I don't think they need 2000w to keep that fridge running, especially if they're using the bronco sport as a sag wagon and charging the station via 12v DC while following the bikers. Maybe if they were to leave the vehicle for like 5 days stationary, but even then you should be able to plug in solar panels to charge it too. Most of the overland rig videos I've seen don't go above 1000w so I think that piece is overkill, but then again we'll see if it is or isn't in the series when episodes come out.

Regardless, I'm excited for this series from REI because I love REI too. (Just got my member dividend the other day $$$)
Member dividend? I thought we were just getting credits this year because REI didn't make a profit? https://www.adventure-journal.com/2021/02/rei-didnt-make-a-profit-in-2020/

OP
OP
playdohpy

playdohpy

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Annieclover

Big Bend
First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 2021
It was only $550.
Just sayin'
Thank you so much for sharing the review of Ryobi 2200 watt inverter generator, I was looking forward to any honest review about this. I'm thinking about buying a Ryobi generator, maybe 2. The Honda 2000 watt units are popular. I have to wonder why anyone wanting to purchase a good inverter genset but isn't willing to ante up for proven winners from Honda or Yamaha just doesn't then opt for a generally well regarded yet much less costly Champion inverter genset which does enjoy reliable manufacturer support

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
It ain't quiet if you're at a campground, or have campers even remotely in earshot. I don't mind generators so much at home, but out in the wild, they're about as uncool as it gets. I have a 1200w battery station similar to the Goal Zero. It charges in an hour. It's not dead silent, it has a fan for cooling, but you can't hear it at about 30 feet away. I've never tried to run it off solar, not really sure how that would go. And yeah, it was pricey, but I really didn't want to deal with having to carry gas. It also weighs a hell of a lot less than a comparably sized generator, and doesn't make a mess or get greasy. Just kinda depends on priorities, I guess. They'll get cheaper eventually.
What battery do you have?

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
The LiFePo battery stations are nice. The larger wattage you can use for home emergencies and brown outs. I would think that anything over 1,000 watts is a good starting point. 1,500 is better Because it delivers more amperes to run power tools that require 15amps, which you could use at the jobsite or in an RV. 1500watts is a good starter if your building out multiple units. Depends on your needs, I’m waiting for the price to drop and I have a Honda inverter that I’ve had for years, when I need some remote power.
Sponsored