Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
My problem with subarus (several friends and relatives own Foresters, Crosstreks and Outbacks and i have driven a few) is that I just can't stand the CVTs. And less power than most comparable vehicles, and they just look so bland... well, MOST of them.
They just don't excite me much to look at OR drive. AND they're EVERYWHERE.... I like SOME exclusivity with my cars... although it's not a deal breaker and i know that the cherokee TH is not that "exclusive"...
(Can't speak for the Outback Onyx, as I haven't driven one, but still CVT ...)

It really is true: not many that check enough boxes except the B/S and the Cherokee TH... with my situation of making next car purchase only in 2022, and not before that, I guess i have the luxury of waiting to order the 2022 B/S of my choice (BL+BL unless 2022 model year adds other trim options).

Bit off topic:

Has anyone wondered about or even considered the Volvo V60 Cross Country edition? I know it's not an SUV and is in a different segment... more luxury oriented than off road.... but their Euro delivery option is very tempting...
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26135531/2020-volvo-v60-cross-country-drive/

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass Trailhawk -- MotorTrend Comparison Review 1613677424155
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Have you seen any BSs on the road? If so, how did you feel?
There's a cactus grey parked at a grocery store I go to, I'm assuming they work in that shopping complex somewhere. I really don't like that color at all. I much prefer the way my Cherokee TH looks over that BS but I don't know how much is the color/base tires. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see one in a color I like. I'm much more of a bright color fan.

However, I'm not one of the folks who prefers boxy cars. I load up my fishing kayak, 80+ lbs, up onto my vehicle on the regular and it's nice having a lower roof.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Bit off topic:

Has anyone wondered about or even considered the Volvo V60 Cross Country edition? I know it's not an SUV and is in a different segment... more luxury oriented than off road.... but their Euro delivery option is very tempting...
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26135531/2020-volvo-v60-cross-country-drive/
I actually went out and test drove and XC40, great cars. Had the power I was looking for but I wanted some skid plates and side rails. They have great AWD also.

OP
OP

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
There's a cactus grey parked at a grocery store I go to, I'm assuming they work in that shopping complex somewhere. I really don't like that color at all. I much prefer the way my Cherokee TH looks over that BS but I don't know how much is the color/base tires. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see one in a color I like. I'm much more of a bright color fan.

However, I'm not one of the folks who prefers boxy cars. I load up my fishing kayak, 80+ lbs, up onto my vehicle on the regular and it's nice having a lower roof.
Happy for you! Enjoy it. That's how I know I made the correct pick. Every other vehicle looks so boring to me.

I actually went out and test drove and XC40, great cars. Had the power I was looking for but I wanted some skid plates and side rails. They have great AWD also.
I was really impressed with the XC40 as well. Such a well made vehicle.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Really Impressed w/ XC40's as well!

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy for you! Enjoy it. That's how I know I made the correct pick. Every other vehicle looks so boring to me.

I was really impressed with the XC40 as well. Such a well made vehicle.
The CX40 does look nice but WHY this gimmicky section / upward belt line near the C-Pillar? If this weird triangle area wasn't there it would look a LOT nicer, IMO

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass Trailhawk -- MotorTrend Comparison Review 1613680264171

WISH IT WAS LIKE THIS
(Excuse the bad drawing)

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport vs Jeep Compass Trailhawk -- MotorTrend Comparison Review 1613680494709

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Have you seen any BSs on the road? If so, how did you feel?
I sw my first one a few days ago. Driving along in traffic and I spotted it a 100 yards away waiting to pull out on the road. As I went by I had to start laughing at the gray haired lady driving who could barely see over the steering wheel! :crackup:

How did I feel? Jealous.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I went by I had to start laughing at the gray haired lady driving who could barely see over the steering wheel! :crackup:
Heh! I think if an old gray-haired tiny lady saw me driving a vehicle with a "dial" type shifter she would laugh at THAT. Her old Chevy Caprice or whatever probably had a tougher feeling column shifter HAHA

IDK why they didn't put a regular shifter in the B/S.

Last edited:

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
serious question.. how is pushing and pulling tougher than turning? Both types of gear shifters use the same effective motions that are found on many mechanisms that people use daily. What I do find funny and do laugh at is when I see capable people, still having their hair color, that need an automatic lift gate when I see gray-haired ladies and gentlemen still using a manual lift gate.
I don't think it's a question of "easier or harder", it's simply a matter of preference. I clearly loved the BS Badlands enough to commit to a purchase even with its modern fittings, but I DEFINITELY would prefer a gear shift handle. I'm 50 and every vehicle I've had has had a gear shift I could grab onto, not a gear "circle" that I can't. Certainly not a deal breaker though...not like a spend my entire day driving with one hand while stroking the gear shift with another! lol

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's a question of "easier or harder", it's simply a matter of preference. I clearly loved the BS Badlands enough to commit to a purchase even with its modern fittings, but I DEFINITELY would prefer a gear shift handle. I'm 50 and every vehicle I've had has had a gear shift I could grab onto, not a gear "circle" that I can't. Certainly not a deal breaker though...not like a spend my entire day driving with one hand while stroking the gear shift with another! lol
WELL SAID! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: the "circle" is clearly a gimmicky anomaly and totally toy-ish! I am not a fan of column shifters either BUT I'd take one 100x over this Fisher-Price looking "knob".
--I really do hate it, but not enough to be a deal-breaker.

Don't see Ford changing this for future model years, BUT one can always hope.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it possible the knob is simply because a rotary switch driving an electro-mechanical assembly now controls the transmission rather than a purely mechanical shift lever as in days gone by? Having a shift lever assembly that simply activates switch points, while highly decorative and provides a nice hand rest, is an expensive item on a vehicle where it is obvious they were trying to save some $$$.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it possible the knob is simply because a rotary switch driving an electro-mechanical assembly now controls the transmission rather than a purely mechanical shift lever as in days gone by? Having a shift lever assembly that simply activates switch points, while highly decorative and provides a nice hand rest, is an expensive item on a vehicle where it is obvious they were trying to save some $$$.
Yep - certainly understandable in the "by wire" era, and like i said, not a deal-breaker at all, but the "standard" type shifter does provide a more "substantial" feel, and a nice contemporary and purposeful look, and I will def. miss it, having only used only such shifters so far.

....I'd rather have a regular shifter than a moonroof on a BL+BL for sure.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a forum to discuss AND critique the B/S and COMPARE pros and cons with other models, one should be able to post their dislikes/opinions AND complaints and not be attacked with condescending, toxic posts. After all, if all posts are about only the positive aspect of a car, then there's really not much point of a discussion forum based on that vehicle. A discussion consists of likes AND dislikes and concerns re: the said vehicle. All of us here are obviously super interested in the B/Sport, otherwise we wouldn't be here in the first place.
--That said, NO car is perfect, and we post about what we find positive and negative, which doesn't mean we hate the car, nor does it mean it's meant to offend people who like the car in every single aspect, which is unrealistic in most cases. I think that's why we even have a separate post dedicated to JUST complaints regarding the BS. And, sometimes when we compare the BS to other similar cars, (which are other options for those who are in the deciding process) some dislikes re: the BS may come across as "complaints", even if it is not a technical "defect". And that should be JUST FINE. Fans of the B/S should NOT be personally offended by such posts, and revert to attacks and condescending responses.

Thanks for the moderators for doing a wonderful job, keeping an eye on needless posts, cleaning things up and keeping the freedom alive to post our opinions in a respectful manner.

NOW, re: Cherokee Trailhawk:

It offers a choice of 2 engines:
an N/A V6 and a I-4 turbo: and it looks like the I-4 turbo is optional and one must pay extra to get it.
Has anyone here driven a Cherokee TRAILHAWK (i think it is the most direct trim to compete with a BL) with each engine and compared the two? Which one did you like better?
And (this might be rare) has anyone driven all THREE? BS with the 2L, TH with an I-4 AND a TH with the V6?

If so, how does each engine compare to the B/S 2L? (I know the spec's on paper, but how do they translate to real world driving feel/performance?)

The TH offers more towing capacity (almost twice the capacity of BL?) , and while I can see this being an important factor, it is still not a DECIDING factor for me, and I am still somewhat skeptical about the FCA vehicles in general (not based on experience; its just the 2 Fords I have owned served me well, and I'd give them a 8/10 for reliability, so I'd obviously feel "safe" going with another Ford. I have never owned an FCA product, and my "fears" area based on some online research and what I have heard from friends/relatives who own them).

The Cherokee TH def offers more bang for the buck it feels like, when building and pricing one on their website, but it just doesn't have the square look and the flip up window of the BS that I love. I also prefer the manual liftgate of the B/S. Less electronics/things to break. That said, the TH does, IMO, come closest to the BL among the plethora of similar vehicles in the class...

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess you all are too young to remember the dash mounted push button transmission shifts on Chrysler/Plymouth’s in the 60’s.

Last edited:

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@essentialemployee - I guess you didn’t see that you need to lighten up. I’m here to “second the emotion” that some, not all, of your posts go overboard in focusing responses on the OP, whoever OP that might be. .

Regarding “I understand some members comments offend you.” Well actually it isn’t some members, it is some of your comments. In the “early days” of this site you were a great contributor, I hope you continue.
Sponsored