Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey Everyone...

So... to clarify... in motion, everything on the roof is capped at 100 Pounds with Sunroof.

Do you folks see that as an issue at all regarding racks and carriers?

As in. Seems like all these roof racks and carrier are around 30 pounds give or take. So gear needs to be under 70 pounds to be super safe... Is 70 pounds of gear a lot of room to make it work or is it cutting it thin?

Also, 600 pounds of weight... same for sunroof or without it... so basically the aerodynamics while driving are such that it just can't handle 150 pounds of weight.

So how many tents are on the market under 100 pounds I wonder? I checked out the one listed in the thread fyi.
Yeah all points of considerations, I'm bummed out not much strength with or without a moonroof as most rooftop tents are indeed over 100 pounds. There's not much info out on the GoFastCamper Superlite yet but as far as gear goes, I may look into a hitch cargo carrier for bulky/heavy items and occasionally put my bikes up top.

I will say that I've lived in a converted Sienna for sometime and LESS is MORE, meaning I would always be more content and adventures would be more smooth when I wasn't always pulling out gear, organizing, unpacking, packing, moving stuff out of the way or loading/unloading the vehicle. All in all, I finally stopped utilizing the rooftop carrier (although great for glamping gear) to reduce hassle and to have better fuel economy with day to day driving. 70 lbs of gear can be a lot! Slim down what you think you need to spend more time adventuring once you get to your destination IMO.
Sponsored

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
But still gotta get a good night's sleep. The GFC may be an option but will have to wait to see if I can just sleep inside. Always got the ground tent but may not be desired all the time while battling elements.

If not a light rooftop tent, then heaviest item I would have considered was a cooler like in the concept photos...but honestly, not realistic as I don't want to lift a 50 lb cooler with ice/drinks on and off a roof....forget about it! And it would take up most of the weight limit. So then top would be at most a lightweight rooftop tent (limited options) or recovery gear and other gear while sleeping in ground tent or possibly inside vehicle?? decisions. decisions.

Getting back to the hitch rack cargo carrier - anyone think it'll work with a Kuat Pivot?? I'm gonna reach out to Kuat but may get a "that's not under warranty, not the purpose of the Pivot, & we're not responsible response."

Hoping to get get the cargo out of the way and still access back of BS, have a little swing away kitchen setup at standing height if needed :) That way at least roof could handle bikes and recovery gear.

BobSlydel21

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
But still gotta get a good night's sleep. The GFC may be an option but will have to wait to see if I can just sleep inside. Always got the ground tent but may not be desired all the time while battling elements.

If not a light rooftop tent, then heaviest item I would have considered was a cooler like in the concept photos...but honestly, not realistic as I don't want to lift a 50 lb cooler with ice/drinks on and off a roof....forget about it! And it would take up most of the weight limit. So then top would be at most a lightweight rooftop tent (limited options) or recovery gear and other gear while sleeping in ground tent or possibly inside vehicle?? decisions. decisions.

Getting back to the hitch rack cargo carrier - anyone think it'll work with a Kuat Pivot?? I'm gonna reach out to Kuat but may get a "that's not under warranty, not the purpose of the Pivot, & we're not responsible response."

Hoping to get get the cargo out of the way and still access back of BS, have a little swing away kitchen setup at standing height if needed :) That way at least roof could handle bikes and recovery gear.
Swing away kitchen? That would work for Bronco Sport... explain please!

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Swing away kitchen? That would work for Bronco Sport... explain please!
http://www.kuatracks.com/product/pivot/

No idea if it'll work but thinking about attaching a hitch cargo rack type device to carry cooler and retrofitting the setup for a table/kitchen....we'll see. I was just spitballing, again, gotta wait for it to be delivered and see the recommendations, most likely minimum insertion length. 250lb limit on the Pivot, otherwise actually see a few other options on the market just for this!

https://www.stowaway2.com/swingaway-hitch-frame or

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-grill-station

Pivot in action-

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
*But pivot is already ordered for my bike rack so we'll see if it'll work for both, with pivot, kitchen can be on side. People below say it can be used for other 2" hitches...so there's hope!

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I know this is a thread revival... but have you heard of the Wilco offroad hitchgate max and hitchswing. They're made to handle the weight on a swing arm.

Though now I am torn between getting Badlands with or without moonroof(BL package).

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I have Yakima swing away for bikes for our Sprinter RV and it's great. Problem is it requires a 2" hitch not the 1.5" I think we are getting on the Sport.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I have Yakima swing away for bikes for our Sprinter RV and it's great. Problem is it requires a 2" hitch not the 1.5" I think we are getting on the Sport.
Maybe I'll wait for aftermarket versions of the towpackage. However the factory has "trailer sway control" though I'm not sure what that is.

Currently on the Ford B&P it says that " the Class II Trailer Tow Package with Trailer Sway Control is standard on Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badland and First Edition."

I'm confused.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Pretty sure the Tow package will come with 2" hitch. Otherwise it would be the 1 1/4 " hitch, not 1.5". But pretty sure 2" hitch.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
@Granger Ford

Albert,

Are the roof weight limits confirmed or are they still preliminary estimates?

There are ads showing a Bronco badlands with what is assumed to be Badlands Package (possible moonroof) with a Yakima SkyRise HD Small roof top tent. The tent is already 100lbs...

Static weight is fine but dynamic load would be over the limit if there is a supposed moonroof on that pre-production model.

Anyway we can get confirmation? Also confirmation on the hitch size?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
I hope that they are bu afraid that they are correct as posted...

As for the hitch the 2' is what is found on the Escape with the Class 2 trailer tow package...

So I am sticking with 2"

Class II is not an indicator of hitch size they use to put the smaller one on so that people would not haul larger trailers or full carts with 5K on them...

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I hope that they are bu afraid that they are correct as posted...

As for the hitch the 2' is what is found on the Escape with the Class 2 trailer tow package...

So I am sticking with 2"

Class II is not an indicator of hitch size they use to put the smaller one on so that people would not haul larger trailers or full carts with 5K on them...
Thanks so much for replying.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
@chaseAbronco. Correct, I meant 1.25” for a class II, not 1.5”. By definition I think a 2” is a class III but I am hoping for a 2” so I can share the shank and ball with my wife’s Explorer so either of us can drag our utility trailer.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
@chaseAbronco. Correct, I meant 1.25” for a class II, not 1.5”. By definition I think a 2” is a class III but I am hoping for a 2” so I can share the shank and ball with my wife’s Explorer so either of us can drag our utility trailer.
I believe there is a walkthrough and video that has confirmed it was 2".
Sponsored