BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I've noticed the same thing with the engine bay. If I end up keeping mine for the long run, I am planning to look into a Coyote V8 or at least a beefed up ranger swap. I would like be able to keep the Ford infotainment system and not run a standalone dash.
Are you talking about Coyote swapping your Bronco Sport if so i don't think it would fit?I think the Coyote is actually wider than the 460 i have in my Mustang.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Are you talking about Coyote swapping your Bronco Sport if so i don't think it would fit?I think the Coyote is actually wider than the 460 i have in my Mustang.
Yes, that was the plan way down the road. Admittedly, I haven't even looked at any measurements, but I assumed it would be big enough. If not, I would probably figure something else out. Just a pipe dream for now, though
🤞

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I looked and yes my paint code is also 7H. And it looks like my car was built in August of 1988!!
Its not a common color even back in the late 80s you rarely saw that color. And '88 and '89 only color.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Yes, that was the plan way down the road. Admittedly, I haven't even looked at any measurements, but I assumed it would be big enough. If not, I would probably figure something else out. Just a pipe dream for now, though
🤞
IMO the 2.7 Eco Boost would probably fit and be a great engine in the Bronco Sport 325 Horsepower and 400 lb.ft. Torque in the F-150 and i think it's a pretty narrow engine not very wide.And it's the same engine that's in the Edge ST it's 335 Horsepower and 380 lb.ft. Torque on Premium Fuel in the Edge ST.Maybe Ford could make a Raptor Bronco Sport with that engine that would be cool.

Last edited:

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
IMO the 2.7 Eco Boost would probably fit and be a great engine in the Bronco Sport 325 Horsepower and 400 lb.ft. Torque in the F-150 and i think it's a pretty narrow engine not very wide.And it's the same engine that's in the Edge ST it's 335 Horsepower and 380 lb.ft. Torque on Premium Fuel in the Edge ST.Maybe Ford could make a Raptor Bronco Sport with that engine that would be cool.
Ford would need the transmission also. The 8F35 is underrated for even the 2.0L torque specs.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ford would need the transmission also. The 8F35 is underrated for even the 2.0L torque specs.
Can you share a source for this claim? There are literally millions of these transmission in operation among various vehicles today. It seems to me if there were widespread durability issues we would know about it.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you share a source for this claim? There are literally millions of these transmission in operation among various vehicles today. It seems to me if there were widespread durability issues we would know about it.
https://www.transmissiondigest.com/ford-motor-company-and-the-hat-trick/
"The 8F35 is the brainchild of the collaboration with GM on their GF9 platform. There are changes that are made by specific application. This unit is designed for use in vehicles up to 350 Nm of engine torque "
As stated in the article, the 8F35 is rated to 350 Nm of torque, (258 lb-ft).

2.0L engine produces up to 277 lb-ft of torque.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I'll bet this engine could be shoehorned into place with a little massaging of the firewall: :cool:

Ford Bronco Sport Bigger engine for BS 1713296669817-51

The hood might have to be removed...
Or add that scoop Ford sells.....oh wait, it's being recalled for flying off I think.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.transmissiondigest.com/ford-motor-company-and-the-hat-trick/
"The 8F35 is the brainchild of the collaboration with GM on their GF9 platform. There are changes that are made by specific application. This unit is designed for use in vehicles up to 350 Nm of engine torque "
As stated in the article, the 8F35 is rated to 350 Nm of torque, (258 lb-ft).

2.0L engine produces up to 277 lb-ft of torque.
"...is designed for use in..." is not the same as "...rated to..." The original design was a 9-speed; Ford made modifications to make it an 8-speed. Do you know if those modifications changed the torque rating? I cannot find any data that specifically states the torque rating for this transmission as installed. Ford would almost certainly be opening itself up for lawsuits by installing a transmission not rated for the application.

Whatever the actual rating for the transmission, my comment regarding in-use data stands: there are literally millions of these transmission in operation in various vehicles around the globe. As far as I know, there is no data suggesting widespread durability issues with the 8F35 transmission.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"...is designed for use in..." is not the same as "...rated to..." The original design was a 9-speed; Ford made modifications to make it an 8-speed. Do you know if those modifications changed the torque rating? I cannot find any data that specifically states the torque rating for this transmission as installed. Ford would almost certainly be opening itself up for lawsuits by installing a transmission not rated for the application.

Whatever the actual rating for the transmission, my comment regarding in-use data stands: there are literally millions of these transmission in operation in various vehicles around the globe. As far as I know, there is no data suggesting widespread durability issues with the 8F35 transmission.
The article's statement is in regard to the 8F35, not the 9 speed. GM's 9 speed transmissions are named 9Txx.
I have no reason to doubt the source.
Yes, there are lots of these transmissions out there.
Boeing has produced many planes, which we find out have had serious flaws in them...until they failed. I think of the 737 rudder malfunctions, not the recent 737-Max and other recent discoveries. The 737 series is Boeing's most produced airliner.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The article's statement is in regard to the 8F35, not the 9 speed. GM's 9 speed transmissions are named 9Txx.
From the article:

The 8F35 is the brainchild of the collaboration with GM on their GF9 platform. There are changes that are made by specific application. This unit is designed for use in vehicles up to 350 Nm of engine torque (figures 3 through 5).
Do you know what changes were made for the specific application (use in the Bronco Sport)?

Boeing has produced many planes, which we find out have had serious flaws in them...until they failed. I think of the 737 rudder malfunctions, not the recent 737-Max and other recent discoveries. The 737 series is Boeing's most produced airliner.
Yes, and we have data to back up the claim. There is no data to support the claim that the 8F35 transmission is not adequately rated for use with the 2.0L EcoBoost engine as installed in the Bronco Sport (or any other Ford model using the 2.0L engine). Again, can you imagine how lawyers would react to a rash of transmission failures if it could be proved Ford installed a transmission not rated for the application?

It may actually happen, but it hasn't yet. Speculation doesn't seem particularly helpful here. Although I will acknowledge anyone considering a power increase via tune for their Badlands might want to think carefully about how the transmission will fare.
Sponsored