Mid-Atlantic getting heavy smoke from Canadian WIldfires. Comparison to clear fall day in October '22.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Ford Bronco Sport Mid-Atlantic getting heavy smoke from Canadian WIldfires. Comparison to clear fall day in October '22. 10-29-22 compare 06-07-23 AGL 200 ft.JPG

The yellow tint is from the smoke. The roof shingles are gray.
DJI Mini 3 Pro, 200 ft AGL
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great day for outdoor yoga! :crackup:
Yesterday, we just had gray skies. Today, the heavy yellow smoke, and the unusual odor is getting into the house. Driving to an appointment today, I kept the AC on, and in Recirculate mode. Usually, I only use manual HVAC controls and rarely use the AC at all.
For the short times, I had to be outside, I was using a carbon filtered surgical mask. This is bad for much of the east coast US now, and it's getting thicker.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
You should have seen it here in Denver last week (or maybe the week before).

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
This might be a silly question but keep in mind I really know nothing about mechanical stuff. Does smog, smoke or simply unhealthy air affect car engines, especially our Sports?

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This might be a silly question but keep in mind I really know nothing about mechanical stuff. Does smog, smoke or simply unhealthy air affect car engines, especially our Sports?
The particulates in heavy smoke can clog up air cleaners and cabin air filters over time.
The finest particulates can get through filters and cause some contamination of the oil which can add to wear when it gets into bearings. I did some microscopic work with a tribologist (friction and wear materials scientist), examining damge from contaminated engine oils.
The contamination from the particulates in smoke and smog in minimal compared to the dust and dirt from desert racing.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
We're on vacation in the NC Outer Banks Area and the smoke is enough that you can feel it in your throat. My son just called from Long Island and said the sky is yellow and the air is really bad.

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should have seen it here in Denver last week (or maybe the week before).
From the pics I've found from about 2 weeks ago, that was pretty intense also. I didn't find any measurements though. Areas of New York and Pennsylvania hit AQI numbers greater than 400 (a measure of particulates in smoke), beyond unhealthy and considered "Hazardous."

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We're on vacation in the NC Outer Banks Area and the smoke is enough that you can feel it in your throat. My son just called from Long Island and said the sky is yellow and the air is really bad.
If there is a bright side, the only one I can think of is that many people have masks from their COVID days to help protect them from the particulates.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Where my wife & I live in southwest Virginia we have a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains & I have noticed the mountains appear very hazy the last 2 weeks, & for the beginning of June the temps are still only in the low 70's. Do not know if the smoke as any bearing on the lower temps. So glad we are not in southern NJ anymore as I have heard the air is at unhealthy status.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow! I’m surprised it’s traveling as far south as the blue ridge mountains & outer banks! It’s been a terrible year here & everywhere for fire.

LBinWNC

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 BS
From the pics I've found from about 2 weeks ago, that was pretty intense also. I didn't find any measurements though. Areas of New York and Pennsylvania hit AQI numbers greater than 400 (a measure of particulates in smoke), beyond unhealthy and considered "Hazardous."
WNC was very hazy and friends from LI are coming to visit tomorrow so we hope they don’t get stuck in LGA

OP
OP
RushMan

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WNC was very hazy and friends from LI are coming to visit tomorrow so we hope they don’t get stuck in LGA
Last I heard was that the LGA ground stop has been lifted, but there are some delays.
Best of luck to them.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
https://fire.airnow.gov/

Here's an interesting map for you guys that I've used at work before. If you're in a red or yellow zone, stay inside as much as possible. This stuff is pretty irritating to your throat and lungs.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
NYC was looking like Mars. Glad I still got them n95s. My throat still itchy.
Sponsored