JRCLT59

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ford
After I put 4500 miles on it in regular mode it shudders between 10-18 mph and again at 25-30 mph. I’ve been dealing with my Ford dealer. They say it’s being reported and they are working on a fix. I’m a little disappointed. I do like it but do not have another ride as a back up
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
After I put 4500 miles on it in regular mode it shudders between 10-18 mph and again at 25-30 mph. I’ve been dealing with my Ford dealer. They say it’s being reported and they are working on a fix. I’m a little disappointed. I do like it but do not have another ride as a back up
Hello there. Can you send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into your Bronco's transmission issues on my end.

OP
OP

JRCLT59

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ford
Hello there. Can you send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to look into your Bronco's transmission issues on my end.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Mine OB is at 5300 miles & acts similar. Have not noticed the 25 - 30 range, but definitely the 10-18. Absolutely hate to drive it in a parking lot. I’ve thought it was the cylinder mgmt program dropping back to 2 cylinder operation. Don’t know if Forscan can turn it off or not, but I’m not brave enough to try that. It would be worth it to me to find a tuner & pay to have it shut off.
I gave up a 14 Mustang vert, for my OB and truly enjoy it except for the low speed, light throttle shudder. I have recently noticed the 24 Mustang 😉😉.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Mine OB is at 5300 miles & acts similar. Have not noticed the 25 - 30 range, but definitely the 10-18. Absolutely hate to drive it in a parking lot. I’ve thought it was the cylinder mgmt program dropping back to 2 cylinder operation. Don’t know if Forscan can turn it off or not, but I’m not brave enough to try that. It would be worth it to me to find a tuner & pay to have it shut off.
I gave up a 14 Mustang vert, for my OB and truly enjoy it except for the low speed, light throttle shudder. I have recently noticed the 24 Mustang 😉😉.
Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer, and I’ll look into this concern for you. Thank you!

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
using sport mode puts you in 3cyl mode, try that out.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
using sport mode puts you in 3cyl mode, try that out.
Yes, Sport Mode eliminates the issue. I believe it disables the cylinder management feature when engaged, as well as keeps RPMs up a bit.

Last edited:

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Hello, just going to throw this out there. Is it possible your perceived transmission shutter is actually turbo flutter. When there is a "under-boost" condition it can feel and sound like transmission shutter at low speeds, aka parking lots, etc. This is brought about by the trans not shifting down, can also feel like lugging, using a manual transmission term. As mentioned shifting into Sport Mode will eliminate the flutter by going into a lower gear and boosting intake pressure at the same time. It's a slight inconvenience to do this but try it. If there is transmission reprogramming fix in Normal Mode I haven't heard of it. This might be a question to ask Ford Service.

Last edited:

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello, just going to throw this out there. Is it possible your perceived transmission shutter is actually turbo flutter. When there is a "under-boost" condition it can feel and sound like transmission shutter at low speeds, aka parking lots, etc. This is brought about by the trans not shifting down, can also feel like lugging, using a manual transmission term. As mentioned shifting into Sport Mode will eliminate the flutter by going into a lower gear and boosting intake pressure at the same time. It's a slight inconvenience to do this but try it. If there is transmission reprogramming fix in Normal Mode I haven't heard of it. This might be a question to ask Ford Service.
Exactly what it feels like to me. Just a very small increase of throttle immediately causes it to stop.
Thank you for an explanation.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I'm having trouble following this explanation. You say this condition is caused by "turbo flutter" which mimics "transmission shutter (sp)," but go on to say the root cause is the transmission not downshifting, which can feel like lugging.

Lugging is demanding high power at low RPM. In a manual transmission this is the driver's fault. With an automatic transmission it's generally a programming issue. The transmission gets its cues for the shift schedule primarily from the throttle position sensor (accelerator pedal). High power demand--stepping hard on the accelerator--normally cues the transmission to select a gear that puts the engine RPM into a range where the engine produces the most torque.

The primary symptom of lugging is poor acceleration, and may also include shuddering, especially with turbocharged engines that are capable of producing a lot of torque at lower RPMs. How is lugging-induced shuddering related to a turbo malfunction?

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I'm having trouble following this explanation. You say this condition is caused by "turbo flutter" which mimics "transmission shutter (sp)," but go on to say the root cause is the transmission not downshifting, which can feel like lugging.

Lugging is demanding high power at low RPM. In a manual transmission this is the driver's fault. With an automatic transmission it's generally a programming issue. The transmission gets its cues for the shift schedule primarily from the throttle position sensor (accelerator pedal). High power demand--stepping hard on the accelerator--normally cues the transmission to select a gear that puts the engine RPM into a range where the engine produces the most torque.

The primary symptom of lugging is poor acceleration, and may also include shuddering, especially with turbocharged engines that are capable of producing a lot of torque at lower RPMs. How is lugging-induced shuddering related to a turbo malfunction?
It's not, it's a combination effect. Neither the turbo or transmission is malfunctioning. It is simply caused by low rpms on both counts. The BS transmission is notorious for a shifting lag, turbo flutter is caused by low rpms because of the transmission being in too high of a gear. Of course driver input does have an effect, not really the drivers fault for just driving. Five Star created a specialized tuner that reprograms the shifting pattern and ECU and MAF sensor eliminating both flutter and shutter. Others have drive by wire, (TPS_Throttle Positioning Sensor)) programming that do the same. Driving in Sport Mode eliminates both as well but is somewhat impractable for everyday or "Normal " driving. I use the term normal rather facetiously as normal is a very subjective term. In this case driving in a very subdued and conservative manner.This is just one those 1.5 nuances, simple to overcome but slightly irritating. Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
The trans in my BS is worlds better then the one in my Escape with the same 1.5. BS shifts so smooth with no shudder or gear confusion. Guess it's hit or miss. Ford said it was normal when I brought my Escape in.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer, and I’ll look into this concern for you. Thank you!
You guys know what a ‘Bot’ is ?
This one reminds me of an answering machine.
You PM and your in the ‘Q’

WinTech

Big Bend
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB, 2022 Passport, 2023 HR-V
It's mostly because the BS tends to not downshift at lower rpms and speeds, meaning whatever gear it is in, it's running at like 1200 rpm or so. Goose the gas to get it to shift into a lower gear, the rpms go up and the shudder goes away. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it uses 2 cyl mode at low speeds. I would think that would be for steady highway speeds. If you put it in sport mode, it will hold the rpms higher at a given speed and the shudder will be gone. It will be at the expense of gas mileage though. I notice that sometimes at stoplights there is a shudder. I don't know if it will go to 2 cyl mode when stopped or if it is because the 3 cyl is just rough at certain rpms.
Sponsored