Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I feel like I'm seeing more and more folks abandoning their orders and finding a comparable Sport on a lot and going with it, even if that means sacrificing desired features or color.

I've also met many individuals who won't give up their order for anything for a variety of reasons - Price protection, the vehicle being made especially for them, hard to find packages, etc. I'm definitely in the "wait as long as it takes" camp since I ordered my dream rig that I plan on keeping for the next 10+ years.

Those of you waiting on an order, which camp do you fall under? How long will it take for you to finally say "enough" and abandon your order? Have you been actively researching dealers to see if anything comparable pops up for you to purchase?
Sponsored

bobdod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Cyber Orange
I feel like I'm seeing more and more folks abandoning their orders and finding a comparable Sport on a lot and going with it, even if that means sacrificing desired features or color.

I've also met many individuals who won't give up their order for anything for a variety of reasons - Price protection, the vehicle being made especially for them, hard to find packages, etc. I'm definitely in the "wait as long as it takes" camp since I ordered my dream rig that I plan on keeping for the next 10+ years.

Those of you waiting on an order, which camp do you fall under? How long will it take for you to finally say "enough" and abandon your order? Have you been actively researching dealers to see if anything comparable pops up for you to purchase?
I've fallen victim to the sunk cost fallacy at this point. Ordered in December, only recently received a June build date that's been delayed once. I'm very much in a loop of: "well I've waited this long...".

I don't need this vehicle. We do need a new one, but there are other choices. But, at the same time, I generally like to pick my options, which could lead to a similar issue with another vehicle. I periodically check the local dealers for incoming stock, but I did get a good deal with my original order and don't know if getting the car sooner is worth shelling out extra $$ for.

I will wait it out. It will likely be August/September when I finally see my Bronco sport. All that said, if I had a way of knowing it would be even close to 8+ months when I ordered, I would've laughed and gone elsewhere.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"

knew base was the intended game plan after dropping big Bronco
grabbed first lot delivery
lower trim
more after market items

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Control issues = waiting. Plus my family ponied up a stack of scratch to make this happen as it's my 50th birthday present, so settling is not allowed.

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands

I had a time constraint, I ordered mine end of November and it was expected WFH would end by March so I needed it by then.

Thankfully I had the car it by April . That said Iā€™m still WFH because the agency were relying on to get us back into the office tries to take as long as they can to do anything apparently.

anniem

Badlands
First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I'm in it for the long haul.

WLK

Badlands
First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Ordered in Feb, it is currently somewhere between Arizona and Canada. Should be here the first week of July. I sold my 2019 Ford Fusion Hybrid back in Feb.

BenOutside85

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Subaru Outback
Ordered a BL exactly how I wanted it even though I had a feeling something would slow it down. Saw some models show up at dealers that were close but missing 360+ and my gray roof. Decided it would just be worth the wait a couple mos more.

Ordered 11/2.
At the dealer now, should have it in a week. After all is said and done it will have been 7 1/2 mos.

spiritedcharm

Badlands
First Name
Scarlett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I placed my order 3/19 with a build date of June 20. I waited less than two months before I found one almost identical to the one I ordered on a lot an hour away from me. The only thing missing was something I've never had anyway (360+). I made them an offer and they accepted. She only had seven miles on the odometer, so I was basically the first one to really drive her. I'm happy with my decision to end the maddening wait. I can't imagine waiting six months or longer like some have. I just don't have that kind of patience.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I placed a custom order for a basic Badlands, tow, cargo management, and 235 upgrades. I had a lease end date of June. Another dealer called with same color, Badlands, 235 tires, tow package ...and the floor mats/cargo mat. I gained mats, lost cargo management and had my badlands by May instead of late July when my order finally hit the lot. Got my deposit back, so it was a win in my books.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
TL;DR: Iā€™m in the latter camp with you.

I plan to keep my cars 10+ years (and admire those who keep driving the same car decades later), so knew Iā€™d be happier ordering just what I want. I couldā€™ve compromised on color, but BL, PP, 360+ I didnā€™t want to compromise. Those donā€™t exist on the lot here (Ok with one exception For one guy on here). Still now the plan is Iā€™d have the BS 10+ years so the wait to get what I want is short compared to long term ownership.

The 2020 Explorer was supposed to end my string of short term used cars to get by, but it isnā€™t the car for me. Iā€™d always thought the BS would make a nice second car for me once I paid for the Explorer, but with a major life change I no longer needed to provide 2 cars nor a 7 passenger & could finally do just for me. So ordered the BS 11/6/21, a day chosen to commemorate 3,000 (ok 3,001 as it turned out) days tobacco free.

Iā€™d gotten to try an OB when the dealer got a demo in earlier in 21, so knew this was the car for me. I didnā€™t really consider other compact SUVā€™s beyond comparing an Escape or a Corsair. The new Mazda is nice, Subaru does a decent car, I like my Momā€™s RDX. Iā€™d like a Jeep but I couldnā€™t really figure out the difference between the compass/cherokee whereas Fordā€™s compact offerings are clearly differentiated and ultimately Iā€™m a Ford guy, I like their product. The only other car Iā€™d really want is the full-size Bronco, & it doesnā€™t really meet my use case so well as the Sport. Maybe when i retire & can run around the desert SW with the top off.

I went into this knowing I was in it for the long haul even while not wanting to pay for a vehicle Iā€™m not interested in. But I didntā€™ want to make a car purchase mistake twice. So Iā€™m better off waiting, knowing Iā€™m at least not walking & managing the payments. Still, as optimistic as the 3-4 months my dealer said, I knew just how long people were waiting for their 21s, so I expected 6 months. Iā€™m 7 into it now and itā€™ll be 8 months by the time it gets here. Iā€™d considered just forgetting it & doing a 23 once the order books open, but then youā€™re starting the wait all over again, and at a much higher price. In the end of course the wait will be worth it.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
TL;DR: Iā€™m in the latter camp with you.

I plan to keep my cars 10+ years (and admire those who keep driving the same car decades later), so knew Iā€™d be happier ordering just what I want. I couldā€™ve compromised on color, but BL, PP, 360+ I didnā€™t want to compromise. Those donā€™t exist on the lot here (Ok with one exception For one guy on here). Still now the plan is Iā€™d have the BS 10+ years so the wait to get what I want is short compared to long term ownership.

The 2020 Explorer was supposed to end my string of short term used cars to get by, but it isnā€™t the car for me. Iā€™d always thought the BS would make a nice second car for me once I paid for the Explorer, but with a major life change I no longer needed to provide 2 cars nor a 7 passenger & could finally do just for me. So ordered the BS 11/6/21, a day chosen to commemorate 3,000 (ok 3,001 as it turned out) days tobacco free.

Iā€™d gotten to try an OB when the dealer got a demo in earlier in 21, so knew this was the car for me. I didnā€™t really consider other compact SUVā€™s beyond comparing an Escape or a Corsair. The new Mazda is nice, Subaru does a decent car, I like my Momā€™s RDX. Iā€™d like a Jeep but I couldnā€™t really figure out the difference between the compass/cherokee whereas Fordā€™s compact offerings are clearly differentiated and ultimately Iā€™m a Ford guy, I like their product. The only other car Iā€™d really want is the full-size Bronco, & it doesnā€™t really meet my use case so well as the Sport. Maybe when i retire & can run around the desert SW with the top off.

I went into this knowing I was in it for the long haul even while not wanting to pay for a vehicle Iā€™m not interested in. But I didntā€™ want to make a car purchase mistake twice. So Iā€™m better off waiting, knowing Iā€™m at least not walking & managing the payments. Still, as optimistic as the 3-4 months my dealer said, I knew just how long people were waiting for their 21s, so I expected 6 months. Iā€™m 7 into it now and itā€™ll be 8 months by the time it gets here. Iā€™d considered just forgetting it & doing a 23 once the order books open, but then youā€™re starting the wait all over again, and at a much higher price. In the end of course the wait will be worth it.
Certainly hope it IS worth it, by way of everything is clean and safely built. Mine was a no-brainer bird in hand. It's been so awesome. Probably the best "me" vehicle I've ever had. I've always settled for what's on the lot, my wife commented similar to your train of thinking...buy the long term and buy what you want, it's worth it. Sure has been.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Certainly hope it IS worth it, by way of everything is clean and safely built. Mine was a no-brainer bird in hand. It's been so awesome. Probably the best "me" vehicle I've ever had. I've always settled for what's on the lot, my wife commented similar to your train of thinking...buy the long term and buy what you want, it's worth it. Sure has been.
Thank you. Iā€™m sure hoping for a great build. If not, the experience Iā€™ve had with the dealer service dept has been great, so I expect any small issues will be taken care of. Glad yours is working out so awesome for you! Worth it indeed, a ā€˜meā€™ vehicle. Of course I hope yours continues to be as awesome for you

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thank you. Iā€™m sure hoping for a great build. If not, the experience Iā€™ve had with the dealer service dept has been great, so I expect any small issues will be taken care of. Glad yours is working out so awesome for you! Worth it indeed, a ā€˜meā€™ vehicle. Of course I hope yours continues to be as awesome for you
Oh yeah....I'm biased. I've mentioned my 79 many times, this was a very easy choice once they started production and it's lived up to every expectation.

Reactions: MJE

Mrdhatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport

I really do not need a car until November so I am willing to wait.
Sponsored