Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Does anyone happen to know the length of the Yakima crossbars offered on the Ford accessories website (link)? I know there are multiple sizes offered on Yakima's website. But, the Ford accessories website doesn't list the link anywhere.
They are most likely 60" as that seems to be the default when you look it up on Levitown or Rack Attack etc.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks. I imagine that your basket affects the noise.
100% we can hear the basket when the wind is blowing hard, but when the wind is soft it's still pretty quiet. It was close to silent before we put it on with just the bars though.

Deleted member 2781

FWIW, those are jetstream crossbars, there are no timberline bars - that refers to the towers. Timberline towers use the strap to attach to raised side rails (which our sports have).

This is what I recently put on mine and oddly enough I don't notice any extra noise if the moon roof is closed. If open I can hear a little bit. Noise is subjective I suppose.

They're pretty easy to remove and put back on once you've determined where you want them and have them adjusted accordingly. Just remember that our rails aren't parallel - they're wider at the windshield and narrow as they go back, so one bar will have the towers spaced farther apart on the bar, and the rear will have them closer together.

eTrailer has a nice video about mounting them (in general - not to a sport)

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Timberline Cross Bars PXL_20210415_193533166

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
FWIW, those are jetstream crossbars, there are no timberline bars - that refers to the towers. Timberline towers use the strap to attach to raised side rails (which our sports have).

This is what I recently put on mine and oddly enough I don't notice any extra noise if the moon roof is closed. If open I can hear a little bit. Noise is subjective I suppose.

They're pretty easy to remove and put back on once you've determined where you want them and have them adjusted accordingly. Just remember that our rails aren't parallel - they're wider at the windshield and narrow as they go back, so one bar will have the towers spaced farther apart on the bar, and the rear will have them closer together.

Thanks. I did finally see the Jetstream/Timberline distinction.

I used the Yakima instructions and moved my front forward.
How long are your
Thanks. I did finally see the Jetstream/Timberline distinction.

How long are your crossbars?
They look shorter than mine.

Deleted member 2781

How long are your crossbars?
They look shorter than mine.
I went with the small size (50") as I didn't think I wanted overhang. I fear I'd smack my head on them often otherwise haha. I don't have my basket yet and haven't hauled anything so it may turn out I want larger.

More overhang seems most useful for things like the road showers and awnings, which I'm not planning to get at this time so I think I'll be ok. First vehicle I've added these sort of accessories to so I'm learning as I go!

Deleted member 2781

Oh! You commented about noise and looking at your closer-up picture it looks like you do NOT have the rubber gasket running the seam on the underside of the crossbar? Can't quite tell. You want that in there - or so eTrailer said in their video - otherwise it creates excessive noise.

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia

eTrailer has a nice video about mounting them (in general - not to a sport)

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Timberline Cross Bars PXL_20210415_193533166
Yep. My bad. Was entering in for hyperlink and had a senior moment.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Oh! You commented about noise and looking at your closer-up picture it looks like you do NOT have the rubber gasket running the seam on the underside of the crossbar? Can't quite tell. You want that in there - or so eTrailer said in their video - otherwise it creates excessive noise.
I found this out the hard way today. I just picked up my BS from my dealer today. My salesman actually installed my window deflectors and Yakima crossbars himself. Once everything was done, I asked him what those "extra pieces" were. He didn't think they were necessary, but I asked to save them just in case. Driving home, the wind noise from the crossbars was very apparent. Not so much with the radio up, but definitely noticeable with the radio down and windows/sunroof open. I told myself that I would have to get over it and made a mental note to take a look at the instructions that I thankfully asked him to leave for me.

It turns out that the "extra pieces" I saw were the rubber gaskets you just referred to. The directions clearly show how you put the rubber gaskets back in during the installation process. I plan on doing that later this week and, hopefully, reduce my wind noise.

Deleted member 2781

Oh wow - I hope it makes a difference. That's exactly why I won't have my dealer install any accessory. I just don't trust them with that kind of stuff. Although, if something goes wrong you can take it back to them so there's that.

I moved and readjusted my towers several times and didn't wait until I was certain before cutting that rubber piece, so mine isn't as clean as it could be - instead of 3 rubber pieces (one on the outside of each tower, one between them) mine is more like 5 or 6 pieces.

So to anyone that hasn't installed them yet and sees this - be certain of your placement before cutting it. And even after you are, save all of the leftover in case you need more later!

OP
OP

gman62

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition
Great info. After reading the recent posts, I noticed that the dealer did not reinstall the rubber strips into the cross bars. Guess I will contact the dealer but probably just have to get a replacement strip. Thanks again for this info!!!

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Oh wow - I hope it makes a difference. That's exactly why I won't have my dealer install any accessory. I just don't trust them with that kind of stuff. Although, if something goes wrong you can take it back to them so there's that.

I moved and readjusted my towers several times and didn't wait until I was certain before cutting that rubber piece, so mine isn't as clean as it could be - instead of 3 rubber pieces (one on the outside of each tower, one between them) mine is more like 5 or 6 pieces.

So to anyone that hasn't installed them yet and sees this - be certain of your placement before cutting it. And even after you are, save all of the leftover in case you need more later!
Posts like this are why I love online forums with a healthy community where everyone is happy to share their knowledge with the collective. Thanks again. I will definitely update everyone once I apply the fix.

Oh yeah...I might have to follow your lead on self-installs with certain stuff. I have a tendency to be anal as hell with some stuff.

Last edited:

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Wow! That explains a lot. I carefully adjusted them and they are still pretty bad.

there were no gaskets when I got them. I am talking to the dealer to get that fixed. We bought a mannequin and had to take it with all accessories at their full price. So, I will make sure that they are complete.

Last edited: