Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Not so sure about that one
Owners Manual, page 211
Ford Bronco Sport Wrapped Steering Wheel. 1655989185697
I am assuming that the system is using some sort of torque sensor, so if you have a very light grip on the steering wheel and it essentially moves freely in your hands, there is no torque to measure. That sensor is not in the steering wheel itself but probably in the power steering unit.
Sponsored

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I am assuming that the system is using some sort of torque sensor, so if you have a very light grip on the steering wheel and it essentially moves freely in your hands, there is no torque to measure. That sensor is not in the steering wheel itself but probably in the power steering unit.
That would be the description the Owners Manual note is lacking
I do believe you are correct in assuming it's torque related
Manuals *subject to interpretation*

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Not so sure about that one
Owners Manual, page 211
Ford Bronco Sport Wrapped Steering Wheel. 1655989185697
It's hard to make a significant steering input with a light grip or just your fingers. We just took a long road trip in the wife's Escape. It's equipped with the same 360+ system as the Bronco Sport. I drove many, many miles without my hands touching the steering wheel at all. I made occasional light steering inputs using my knee only.

The other clue: I looked into adding 360+ to my Badlands. You can find a list of all the required hardware and it doesn't include a different steering wheel. If the steering wheel is the same for cars equipped with or without 360+ then I don't believe there are any sensors in it.

I'm fairly certain it senses control input, not grip on the wheel.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
It's hard to make a significant steering input with a light grip or just your fingers. We just took a long road trip in the wife's Escape. It's equipped with the same 360+ system as the Bronco Sport. I drove many, many miles without my hands touching the steering wheel at all. I made occasional light steering inputs using my knee only.

The other clue: I looked into adding 360+ to my Badlands. You can find a list of all the required hardware and it doesn't include a different steering wheel. If the steering wheel is the same for cars equipped with or without 360+ then I don't believe there are any sensors in it.

knee steering......:D
rare breed of motorist
tip of the hat to you good sir

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
Thanks for the input, people! I am now convinced that wrapping the steering wheel will not impede the functionality of the co-pilot 360+!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

The other logical thing to add is that the number/size of sensors required to determine someone is holding the steering wheel would be huge. They would have to have sensors all around the wheel in order to know if you were holding it. Unless they could have some kind of hall-effect thing that would make the whole steering wheel a sensor.

Since no steering wheel change is necessary to add 360+, that is probably the best evidence that the sensor is not in the steering wheel though.

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I test drove a non-wrapped big bend and man, that steering wheel felt like cheap crap. I had to go with the wrapped when I ordered the badlands. Coming from an Audi, I couldn't go to something that felt like a video game accessory.
So far my only complaint with my BB Prices for factory wrapped are $350, 1/2 of that for a used if you can find one
Sponsored