Why Sport vs Base model full-size Bronco?

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Went and looked at the Sport for first time today. It looks very cool, especially in Badlands trim. Fun, sweet little rig. But, at $33k or so MSRP, it's the same price as the 4-door base model full-size Bronco. The full-size Bronco is going to be far more capable off-road, even than the Badlands Sport, and can carry passengers and cargo more comfortably. Why pick the Badlands? Or even the Big Bend/Outer Banks? Just curious.
Sponsored

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
If I specced out a 4-door with the same comforts and conveniences as I have in the Badlands with badlands package I built out it’d be $10-12k more.

mom gonna wait to see what happens with the full size Broncos. I’ll likely get one - but it may be 2-3 years.

in the meantime - I have a feeling I’m gonna like the badlands sport quite a bit.

OP
OP
Tom House

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I’ve asked this same question to those that wanting more off-road capability than the sport. Their answer is that base 4 door doesn’t have the luxuries that the badlands has. But if you are looking specifically for more off-road capability, my question remains.. why not 4 door base?

Imo the bronco sport badlands is the price sweet spot that offers the most value of a well rounded, rugged capable, optioned vehicle.
I just wish it was like six inches longer and that that added to either cargo space or rear legroom.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I just wish it was like six inches longer and that that added to either cargo space or rear legroom.
Agree with you. That would have been nice. But I don’t know how that would impact off road geometry.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
Went and looked at the Sport for first time today. It looks very cool, especially in Badlands trim. Fun, sweet little rig. But, at $33k or so MSRP, it's the same price as the 4-door base model full-size Bronco. The full-size Bronco is going to be far more capable off-road, even than the Badlands Sport, and can carry passengers and cargo more comfortably. Why pick the Badlands? Or even the Big Bend/Outer Banks? Just curious.
For me it was a matter of choosing a vehicle on a spectrum from sedan to rock crawler as far as on-road to off-road capability. My final three options were the rav4, Bronco Sport, or Bronco 2D. The rav4 has the best handling on road, gas mileage, and price. The Bronco 2D was the most capable off road, worst gas mileage, and most expensive. The Bronco sport is somewhere in between. Since it will be my only car and I do need to drive it in the city when there is too much rain to ride my motorcycle, I wanted more road performance than the 2D. Since it’s other purpose besides rain/snow commuter is hunting, hiking, and adventuring, I wanted more off road ruggedness than the rav4. The Bronco Sport fit that slot perfectly for me. The price and lead time were also perks vs the big Bronco.

OffTheGrid

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Exactly! Why?

The roll out on the sports is going to drag like a dead body.
But the BRONCO has been pushed back further still.
All these pre-orders will take months to fullfil at this rate.
By the time any Badlands are available ( outside of oredrring and those issues reported)
It will be time to test drive the BRONCO. BUT THEN probably another year to be able to purchase one...so 2 years out.

Think people are anxious and debating this sport because its touchable now.

Have heard from 3 seperate dealerships that at each customers who reserved orders declined purchasing there reserved sports.
So? Why?
Think sport has a lot going for it,
But lets face facts
*its a front wheel drive vehicle.
imo
If anyones comming from a truck/jeep
to this itsVERY different.
Its not a beefy feeling driving it.

i didnt know what to expect but was actually pleasantly surprised by how its drives.
Positive surprise!
Yet held back on purchasing because its much different drive feel than what i'm used to.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
Exactly! Why?

The roll out on the sports is going to drag like a dead body.
But the BRONCO has been pushed back further still.
All these pre-orders will take months to fullfil at this rate.
By the time any Badlands are available ( outside of oredrring and those issues reported)
It will be time to test drive the BRONCO. BUT THEN probably another year to be able to purchase one...so 2 years out.

Think people are anxious and debating this sport because its touchable now.

Have heard from 3 seperate dealerships that at each customers who reserved orders declined purchasing there reserved sports.
So? Why?
Think sport has a lot going for it,
But lets face facts
*its a front wheel drive vehicle.
imo
If anyones comming from a truck/jeep
to this itsVERY different.
Its not a beefy feeling driving it.

i didnt know what to expect but was actually pleasantly surprised by how its drives.
Positive surprise!
Yet held back on purchasing because its much different drive feel than what i'm used to.

It seems you have sufficiently determined this vehicle is not for you..... so why are you using up so much of your energy making that point to others, who have determined that this car IS for them?

Let it go.

OP
OP
Tom House

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
There's a full size bronco? Merely a myth..... Can't buy myths.
True. I hadn't thought of it like that, tbh. I suppose if I had a car long in the tooth and needed to replace it, and wanted the Bronco, I could make do with the Sport. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the Sport. I'd trade in my Outback tomorrow for the Badlands if it was $10k less, or had the same cargo space as the Outback. I spent lots of time yesterday looking at the Badlands, talking myself into it, then pricing a 4-door base Bronco and realizing that removable doors, much more room, and an extremely capable rig out of the box for the same price makes too much sense. I personally will wait, I think, for the big Bronco. But damn, the first time I see a Badlands out on a trail somewhere it's gonna make me want one.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
True. I hadn't thought of it like that, tbh. I suppose if I had a car long in the tooth and needed to replace it, and wanted the Bronco, I could make do with the Sport. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the Sport. I'd trade in my Outback tomorrow for the Badlands if it was $10k less, or had the same cargo space as the Outback. I spent lots of time yesterday looking at the Badlands, talking myself into it, then pricing a 4-door base Bronco and realizing that removable doors, much more room, and an extremely capable rig out of the box for the same price makes too much sense. I personally will wait, I think, for the big Bronco. But damn, the first time I see a Badlands out on a trail somewhere it's gonna make me want one.

If you're looking purely for an off road vehicle, that makes sense. Clearly why they made both models.

I'm not interested in sacrificing the safety and comfort features that a base 4-door sacrifices, since I spend 90% of my time just driving on roads. And once I add those in.... oh boy.... that 4-door bronco jumps in to another stratosphere in price.

OP
OP
Tom House

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
If you're looking purely for an off road vehicle, that makes sense. Clearly why they made both models.

I'm not interested in sacrificing the safety and comfort features that a base 4-door sacrifices, since I spend 90% of my time just driving on roads. And once I add those in.... oh boy.... that 4-door bronco jumps in to another stratosphere in price.
See now you've talked me back into Badlands. I need to drive my Subie and a Badlands on the same trails to see just how much more I can do with Badlands, otherwise, I just can't justify making the switch.

OffTheGrid

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It seems you have sufficiently determined this vehicle is not for you..... so why are you using up so much of your energy making that point to others, who have determined that this car IS for them?

Let it go.
Just using the discussion forum.
Trying to have discussion about a vehicle. A piece of machinery.
Too many on this forum taking it personally like we're talking about their mom...
Geez emotional let it gooooo.
Sponsored