Which of these dealer add ons are worth it? (Very different prices b/c I'm in Brazil)

brazilbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Wildtrak (Badlands in USA)
Hey everyone!

These prices may seem strange, but that's because I'm in Brazil. I'm curious... based on these prices, which of these dealer add ons do you think are worth it?

Add OnPrice in USD$
Wrap Ceiling and Columns in Piano Black Wrap$463
Side Windows and Rear Thermal Insulfilm$165
Windshield Transparent Insulfilm (Protects and Eliminates Glare)$165
Door Sill Protectors$109
Locking Lug Nuts for Wheels$128
Trailer Hitch$313
Window Rain Guards$109
PPF: Bumper$665
PPF: Hood$665
PPF : Door Handles$109
PPF: Door Edge$109
PPF: Thresholds$128
PPF: Headlights$128
Kit Ceramic Coat Protection for Paint + Leather Hydration + Glass Crystallization$350
Thule Wingbar Evo + Rails$434

I'm thinking about doing the hitch and Thule wingbar evo and rails with the dealer. I found the door sill protectors and rain guards cheaper in the 3rd party market.

But I have NO IDEA about the value of PPF (paint protection film) or ceramic coating / leather hydration / glass crystallization. Are these good prices? Are they worth it?
Sponsored

bobdod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Cyber Orange
Hey everyone!

These prices may seem strange, but that's because I'm in Brazil. I'm curious... based on these prices, which of these dealer add ons do you think are worth it?

Add OnPrice in USD$
Door Sill Protectors$109
Locking Lug Nuts for Wheels Personal: IMO, useless, but might prevent opportunity theft if you are concerned in your area$128
Trailer Hitch Personal: Ever expect to pull anything?$313
Window Rain Guards Personal: Some people like them, aftermarket options available.$109
Kit Ceramic Coat Protection for Paint + Leather Hydration + Glass Crystallization$350
Thule Wingbar Evo + Rails See comments$434
Above are my thoughts on these - all can be a personal choice though, details below

Since you said prices are so different in your area....it's hard to know if these are good prices? At least for me coming from the US.

I'm not sure what the Piano Black wrap is? On top of the already black that's stock on the Bronco Sport?

Door Sill protectors I guess are personal, but you can shop around for aftermarket or a better price on the Ford ones. The Ford ones aren't very big or protective in my opinion, but the Bronco logo looks nice

Locking Lugs, I see as useless but it might be situation dependent. Any committed 'thief' will have a key/tool to get past it. It can reduce a crime of opportunity I suppose. But you also have to keep track of the key.

For all things in orange, the PPF and Tint - if you can figure out where they'd be installed that might be good. You want a reliable installer for these things - and getting a price quote from a couple shops would be very easy. Many (including me) like tint. PPF is probably more 'divisive'. You want a good PPF brand and a good installer.
With some of the paint complaints I've seen for the Bronco Sport so far, I think I've heard of a fair number of people at least doing the front with PPF. But again, get a quote or 2, figure out the film brand, and install location. I'd see it being a decent layer of protection if you can afford it. Some people care about their paint more than others. The PPF will offer chip protection and swirl reduction from washes.

For the leather conditioner, ceramic coating, etc. I would recommend figuring out your own wash/sealant routine. You can dive in deep and develop a whole detailing regimen with a bunch of products. Or just do some research on best ways to wash your car and reduce scratching/swirls. There are 'spray' ceramic coatings now that are pretty easy to use and last months. Either way, for $350 you can get one hell of a detail from a "Pro" with industrial grade stuff better than the dealer will provide.

For the Thule Rails - check your local retailer or online for a price comparison. You can find the part number on Ford and also check other parts providing dealerships - often other sites will have a discount, I think this is the Ford Part # VM1PZ7855100C, don't know if it's different in your country?

OP
OP

brazilbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for your thoughts @bobdod !

To give you an idea of the purchase price... it seems pretty equivalent to the USA (https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/2021-bs-bl-wildtrak-in-brazil-9-under-msrp.4824/)

I'm actually American and earn a US salary, I just live down here. So the prices I'm quoting are quite expensive for locals I suspect (minimum wage here is US$220/mo, and a good income is considered US$1,000/mo). And so I'm comfortable with all of these prices, but more thinking "Are they worth what they're charging to protect a $40-45k car? Are they even effective/useful?"

> I'm not sure what the Piano Black wrap is? On top of the already black that's stock on the Bronco Sport?

I believe this is a protective wrap/film just for the piano black columns and roof.

> Door sill protectors... logo looks nice

Ours are different down here. This is what they install from the dealership, but a lot cheaper in aftermarket: https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1935408533-soleira-porta-ford-bronco-resinada-premium-aco-escovado-np-_JM ... I might just get one of the more rubberized versions aftermarket.. not sure

> Locking Lugs, I see as useless but it might be situation dependent. Any committed 'thief' will have a key/tool to get past it.

Good pt... not a big problem down here AFAIK (at least not where we're going).

> For all things in orange, the PPF and Tint - if you can figure out where they'd be installed that might be good. You want a reliable installer for these things - and getting a price quote from a couple shops would be very easy. Many (including me) like tint. PPF is probably more 'divisive'. You want a good PPF brand and a good installer. With some of the paint complaints I've seen for the Bronco Sport so far, I think I've heard of a fair number of people at least doing the front with PPF. But again, get a quote or 2, figure out the film brand, and install location. I'd see it being a decent layer of protection if you can afford it. Some people care about their paint more than others. The PPF will offer chip protection and swirl reduction from washes.

I'll check on the PPF brand and who installs it. I think it's the Ford dealership themselves but not sure. Will also check out other quotes. By the way, good to hear that they do indeed work... always thought it was a gimmick.

> For the leather conditioner, ceramic coating, etc. I would recommend figuring out your own wash/sealant routine. You can dive in deep and develop a whole detailing regimen with a bunch of products. Or just do some research on best ways to wash your car and reduce scratching/swirls. There are 'spray' ceramic coatings now that are pretty easy to use and last months. Either way, for $350 you can get one hell of a detail from a "Pro" with industrial grade stuff better than the dealer will provide.

Great! This is exactly what I was looking for. Had no idea what ceramic coating is and didn't realize its something I could apply to, or that pro detailers routinely do this and can do it cheaper than the dealer, too.

> For the Thule Rails - check your local retailer or online for a price comparison. You can find the part number on Ford and also check other parts providing dealerships - often other sites will have a discount, I think this is the Ford Part # VM1PZ7855100C, don't know if it's different in your country?

This is the direct from Thule Brasil retail price, which is the lowest I can find it anywhere.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would get the hitch whether you plan to tow anything or not. It's a clean install from the factory (with the added towing mode that I think is a PITA to add aftermarket) and you can use it for more than towing. Bike carrier, cargo carrier, full size spare carrier (if you upgrade tires), can serve as a recovery point, etc.

Otherwise I agree with everything @bobdod said.

Reactions: MJE
OP
OP

brazilbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would get the hitch whether you plan to tow anything or not. It's a clean install from the factory (with the added towing mode that I think is a PITA to add aftermarket) and you can use it for more than towing. Bike carrier, cargo carrier, full size spare carrier (if you upgrade tires), can serve as a recovery point, etc.

Unfortunately the tow hitch is added at the dealer. I'll look into whether they do the electric work too.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
Hey everyone!

Add OnPrice in USD$
Door Sill Protectors$109
Locking Lug Nuts for Wheels$128
Trailer Hitch$313
Window Rain Guards$109
Thule Wingbar Evo + Rails$434

I'm thinking about doing the hitch and Thule wingbar evo and rails with the dealer. I found the door sill protectors and rain guards cheaper in the 3rd party market.

But I have NO IDEA about the value of PPF (paint protection film) or ceramic coating / leather hydration / glass crystallization. Are these good prices? Are they worth it?
These are not Ford options, but way to extract money from you. They are going to add a non-factory hitch, which will give you limited towing capacity and no sway control. The factory hitch is more like $600 and include a lot more that a ball to put your trailer on.

Services like this are better sourced from someone else other than a dealer.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport

I have to agree with you on the hitch. For the cost of it, it’s just so much easier to add on at time of order if at all possible. Even if you use it for nothing more than showing off a cool hitch cover. Then when you find yourself in need of pulling something you’re already set. If you never pull anything, it still opens up the possibilities for hitch mounted racks & carriers. Plus I always think of it as a good recovery point if ever needed.

OP
OP

brazilbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So can't get the hitch from the factory here in Brazil, unfortunately.

I negotiated with them and got some prices down... so, what I'm thinking is:

ItemUSD$
Thule Evo 35s + Evo Rails$430 (retail price direct from Thule)
Hitch + electric installed$320
Window tint (side + rear) @ 20%$150
Door sill protectorsFREE
Window rain guardsFREE

US$920 felt reasonable for these 5 things, especially because almost half of it is Thule's retail price in this market.

Only thing I'm still considering is the AIR80 windshield screen... reading more reviews on it.

Will skip all the rest and take the advice to contact good detailers if needed.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If I was paying for the items, I would only choose the hitch with lighting and the Thule Windbar with attachment rails. The other items I can do without or add later if my interests change.
Sponsored