Need advice. Am I getting "screwed"? Should I allow dealership to add this to new badlands I'm about to order?

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered Bronco Sport... now waiting...
I'd be extremely appreciative for any advice possible. I'm a chick here by myself and don't trust car dealerships!! Want to make sure what the dealership told me is accurate and that I'm not being taken advantage of...

I'm about to order a brand new bronco sport badlands (I sent dealership the build I want). I'm getting it basically fully loaded minus things like "engine block heater" and no "cross bars" and no "splash guards" and no "assistance kit" and no "Center Console Vault" and no "Cargo Management System". I have NEVER ever bought a BRAND NEW car before.... usually buy used (I've leased car for the past several years so I'm very rusty when it comes to buying).

I live in arizona and the dealership added "desert protection package" (almost $1,200!) and also added (BT security system $700). This brings the total cost of the car from SELLING PRICE of $40,610 to $47,200 ... (included screen shot of the fees)

I'm going to be getting ceramic and carbon tinted windows done elsewhere (NOT at the dealership)... so I am confused why they are wanting me to pay for "desert protection package". Am I being played by them?

They also have a "VTR" ($300) and the "DOC FEE" ($500). I feel like this dealership might have me by the throat... want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of! =(

Thanks in advance for any possible advice!

Ford Bronco Sport Need advice. Am I getting "screwed"? Should I allow dealership to add this to new badlands I'm about to order? fees
Sponsored

Last edited:

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The ā€˜desert protection packageā€™ just to me on name does sound like the dealership coating & such added before you even have a chance to have the finance person sell it to you. BT security sounds like a dealership add too, as well as those 2 other fees you posted. None of those were anything I had to put on my BL order. Though I know Iā€™ll have to go through the process with the finance guy once it comes in.

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Iā€™d look at another dealership, since it seems like theyā€™re racking on extras you donā€™t want. Pretty common right now with cars on the lot, but I havenā€™t seen a lot of places doing it on custom orders.

jsus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm
Unless you value what they plan to add to the vehicle in the "desert protection package" and whatnot nonsense, then yes, you are getting ripped off. $499 for the "doc fee" is also really high..

If all you want is the vehicle itself, tell the dealer in no uncertain terms that you just want the vehicle with your build criteria (trim, options, colors) from the factory, you don't want the dealer to put anything else on it, you will not pay for it. Get them to give you that price in writing.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Desert Protection. Like the dealer add-ons listed above, this costly fee can sometimes be avoided by making sure it isnā€™t added to your car if you donā€™t want to be buying the service. It can cost from $400 to $1,900, Lee says, and is a ā€œfinish on a finishā€ so that you donā€™t have to wax or clean your car as often. Itā€™s meant to protect a carā€™s finish from acidity from bird droppings and acid rain, for example.
https://www.cheapcarinsurance.net/car-dealer-fees-to-avoid/

Tell'em drop it or the order is cancelled

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Without a doubt, I'd drop the dealer add ons. If you don't want it or never asked for it, don't pay for it. License and document fees are ~$50 more than here in SC, but that could be a local state issue. Good luck with your current dealer, or if need be a different dealer.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Did they added those options without even ask and explain what it is? Sounds like paint protection and gps track. I think you should be able to take them off. They are trying to trick you.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Splash guards ? U mean mud flaps ? You will want the mud flaps. Not the expensive ones. Mine say Ford and were $50 a pair.
You want your vehicle for $40,610 plus the tax tag and title.
As for doc stamps , tell them to cut that in half also.
If they donā€™t deal walk away and find another dealer.
If you canā€™t trust them donā€™t let them even service it. A crook is a crook !

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Yes, they are trying to take advantage of you. A 40k vehicle should not cost 48k after all is said and done.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I would find another dealership cause if they adding stuff playing games this early its likely to be much worse scams games once vehicle arrives. Once you find another dealer its best to get a signed Purchase Agreement to lock in your out the door price. Otherwise dealer will weasel around on price once delivered.

OP
OP
tropical2022

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks so much for all the replies REALLY appreciate it!!!! Am I allowed to post link to the build I want on this forum? Not sure if forum allows this. But the car is $40,610 once I put in my build parameters.

... but this doesn't include the ($1,030) "fender flare kit II" I want because the ford website won't let me include that unless I REMOVE the "moon roof". So the sales guy said they will install the "fender flare kit II" at the dealership when car arrives. Below is photo of that fender... dealership said it'll be painted to be same color as AREA 51 body color... I really like how that fender looks.

So with this "fender flare kit II" added the vehicle cost is $41,640 before all the other fees were added.

I'm going to another dealership to get another quote to see if I have similar experience...

Ford Bronco Sport Need advice. Am I getting "screwed"? Should I allow dealership to add this to new badlands I'm about to order? ff-II

bigbw

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BIg Bend
Most dealers in AZ add the Desert protection package, security not so much. Dealer I bought from added "enhanced nitrogen fill to the tires", at a charge of $300. Did not really want it, but I wanted the car, so i took it..

OP
OP
tropical2022

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EDIT: Whoops... so I should have kept the mud flaps? I initially added it for only 220 bucks for front/rear but then I removed it. So I should add that back for front and rear? Thanks!!

PS: ford website says "splash guard" but then it also calls it "mud flaps" so I guess they are same.

bronco_widds

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Can't you order it through the Ford website? If you order it through the dealer it's the same process, they'll just submit it instead of you. Doc Fee will probably stay at $500 regardless with a custom order, since that'll probably be all they make off the car. VTR you don't want. That's a semi-scam. Paint protection from the dealer is a scam. If you really want paint protection buy it without it then take it to a reputable shop that specializes it and get a ceramic coating and/or film coating. Will be done 10000x better.

Have you looked at the build with just the Fender Flare Kit I? I know II is body color, but I is far cheaper (just plain black) and the contrast looks nice, plus it's just plastic and is intended to be a "get beat on" piece of the vehicle so it can be replaced later if it gets damaged.

OP
OP
tropical2022

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most dealers in AZ add the Desert protection package, security not so much. Dealer I bought from added "enhanced nitrogen fill to the tires", at a charge of $300. Did not really want it, but I wanted the car, so i took it..

Thanks for your reply! The sales guy said the "desert protection package" includes ceramic tinted windows... so maybe I should find out if ALL the windows... meaning the windshield and the side windows and the rear window will be ceramic tinted.. then maybe it is worth keepig this desert proctection package? I don't trust car dealership selling cars... this is why I rather go get my windows tinted elsewhere so I really know what I am really getting...
Sponsored