when do I get oil changed

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Does the intelligent oil system supposed to be working right from the start? I am closing in on 6000 miles.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I use the Motorcraft blend, the stock oil because of the ‘wet’ belt and the turbo.
That’s a good oil. A Ford Mechanic also said my idea of five thousand oil change intervals is valid.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
First change I hit 3,000ish with new motor stuff, figured it would be good to get it early. The second was just over 10K. Still said 20% oil life and wait to June but I figured ten was good enough. Manual says the intelligent oil indicator is the ideal situation. Obviously driving conditions may force a different schedule

Val

Badlands
First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
I use the Motorcraft blend, the stock oil because of the ‘wet’ belt and the turbo.
That’s a good oil. A Ford Mechanic also said my idea of five thousand oil change intervals is valid.
Are they using fully synthetic or synthetic blend?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they using fully synthetic or synthetic blend?
Synthetic blend. Best of both worlds, or so I’m told. It goes like this.
Sure the full synthetics can clean longer, last longer.
But a 5,000 mile oil change interval gets the IN Solution contaminants out faster. These are the contaminants that pass through the filter.
The oil additive package gets used up over time.
By changing early I keep more fresher oil in the engine.
Full synthetics are Really great but getting the, again IN solution corrosives out sooner is better in this engine.
Remember, the 1.5L is a ‘Wet Belt’ design. These acidic corrosive contaminants will eat on the belt more than anything else,
Don’t forget the Turbo with it’s extreme precision tolerances.
As for running Full Synthetic and changing it out at say 7,500 or 10,000 miles, your still leaving suspended corrosive contaminants inside longer and this builds up.
I know first hand of a dude with a Courier job that got 500,000 miles out of his engine running the cheapest Walmart oil and jiffy lube oil and the cheapest filters with no issues. He changed the oil at 5,000 intervals.
I took a Jeep Cherokee to 395,000 on roach oil in the severe climate of Florida.
With 5,000 mile oil change Intervals.
I myself took a Tacoma to 528,000 miles on Mobil 1 full syn with 10,000 mile intervals.
Sure full synthetic is better but over kill for most needs like the 95% of us who will trade in long before we wear out a motor.
And I’m convinced that there are properties of conventional oil that my 1.5L will make good use of.
I’ll stick to what I know.

Last edited:

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I'm about ready for the first oil change, coming up on 3000 mi. Gonna have it done at the dealership where I bought it. After that, I will follow the every 5k rule. It has worked well for me with other vehicles.

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My first oil change was at 4950 miles and 6 months. Had a good discussion with the service department at my local Ford dealership. They told me to stick with the synthetic blend and a 5,000 mile/6 month schedule . They did inform me that they change the oil in all company cars at a 3500 mile/6 month schedule but admitted it was probably overkill. Clear as mud.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
If you wait for the Oil Life Monitor to go off, then you'll probably need to put about 7,500 miles on it. Most people think doing the first change sooner is a good idea. You haven't done anything incorrectly, but if it was mine, I would change it now and reset that OLM.

cgparsons1983

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I've heard you should change around 1500-2000 miles and then every 3000 miles after that. Reason being when a vehicle is new, metal gets worn off when you're still breaking in the vehicle, and that metal can cause long term damage if not removed early on.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've heard you should change around 1500-2000 miles and then every 3000 miles after that. Reason being when a vehicle is new, metal gets worn off when you're still breaking in the vehicle, and that metal can cause long term damage if not removed early on.
I'd say every 3,000 is excessive with new synthetics and motors. Is 3k better than waiting 10K? that's pretty obvious. If you have a lot of stop and go traffic or idling, or dirty dusty conditions...maybe sooner than later. Most techs will advise 5-7K with synthetic/blends. It's your vehicle...if you have the resources, it's not the worst thing you could do.

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
You don't. Just spit in the reservoir until your dipstick reads full again.

Kidding. Got mine done the first time at like 4.5k since I was going on a cross country trip. I'll do it every 5k-6k miles regardless of what the oil monitor tells me. That feature is just an estimate, but I live in hot and dusty AZ so I'll do it on my own terms.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm about ready for the first oil change, coming up on 3000 mi. Gonna have it done at the dealership where I bought it. After that, I will follow the every 5k rule. It has worked well for me with other vehicles.
To get on track if your doing the first at 3,000 do the second at 9,000 the third at 15,000 then 20, 25, 30k and so on. 5k is easy to remember and you won’t need that little sticker in the corner of your windshield.
Sponsored