Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Tire crayon / grease-pencil works as well. Anything that'll abrade-off again in a reasonable amount of time.

This is a low-tech way of doing contact-patch analysis, which is a surrogate for zoned tread-block temperature analysis (typically on-track tyres).
Sounds cool but I’ll stick to my more scientific but takes longer to collect data method of my tread depth gauge.
I get a difference in center tread depth in as little as 5,000 miles if I’m over or under inflated.
I compensate and rotate and I’m done.
I’ve always gotten good service life and off they come at 4mm not the wear bars 2mm depth. I don’t like to slip up.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Hi everyone,

I'm reading some conflicting information regarding tire pressure. I went one size up in tires; should I still go by the recommended tire pressure stated on the inside door or what is shown on the new tire?
I previously had Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/18 and now upgraded to BF Goodrich Trail Terrain T/A 235/60/18.

Thank you all for the help!

Ford Bronco Sport What Tire Pressure in New Tires? Resized_20211009_133513
Tire crayon / grease-pencil works as well. Anything that'll abrade-off again in a reasonable amount of time.

This is a low-tech way of doing contact-patch analysis, which is a surrogate for zoned tread-block temperature analysis (typically on-track tyres).
As far as the chalk method goes, cover the full width of the tire and about 4-6" of the circumference. Drive straight on smooth level pavement a short distance (~100') don't accelerate or brake hard. You're looking for even wear across the full width of the chalk patch.

On another note, there are online tire pressure calculators. I tried posting a link but I'm not tech savvy. It was mentioned in the Falken tire Welcome thread.

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Even though it might be considered “low tech”. It’s worked for me for years and with properly balanced wheels and tires…they will wear evenly if rotated on a regular basis as well.
To be clear, I'm using "low tech" in the "cost to implement" sense, not the pejorative sense.

A piece of sidewalk chalk or a tyre grease-pencil / crayon plus a smooth patch of pavement costs almost nothing, and gets you 90% of the way there -- in the Bronco Sport context (road passenger vehicle, mixed duty), it's unlikely that upper 10% of tyre tuning would yield much to the end-consumer.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
To be clear, I'm using "low tech" in the "cost to implement" sense, not the pejorative sense.

A piece of sidewalk chalk or a tyre grease-pencil / crayon plus a smooth patch of pavement costs almost nothing, and gets you 90% of the way there -- in the Bronco Sport context (road passenger vehicle, mixed duty), it's unlikely that upper 10% of tyre tuning would yield much to the end-consumer.
I beg to differ. 10% off in my 33 pst tires is 3.3 pounds.
From a lifetime of experience with tires if I ran my Bronco sport 3 psi low I’d wear the outsides down pretty quick, long before I reached half of stated service life front and or rear.
If I ran a cold tp of 36 I’d wear out the middle on mr rears.
But this accelerated over inflation wear would be halved if I kept up rotations. This is what many do.
Not to mention being 10% off will not bode well for wet weather traction.
From what I could find the chalk methods is better suited to the old bias ply’s of yesteryear and also widely used when a race team builds a new car. It was just for hunting a baseline starting point so they could choose a tire compound.
Radials are not like bias ply in any way.

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I beg to differ. 10% off in my 33 pst tires is 3.3 pounds.
From a lifetime of experience with tires if I ran my Bronco sport 3 psi low I’d wear the outsides down pretty quick, long before I reached half of stated service life front and or rear.
If I ran a cold tp of 36 I’d wear out the middle on mr rears.
But this accelerated over inflation wear would be halved if I kept up rotations. This is what many do.
Not to mention being 10% off will not bode well for wet weather traction.
From what I could fine the chalk methods is better suited to the old bias ply’s of yesteryear and also widely used when a race team builds a new car. It was just for hunting a baseline starting point so they could choose a tire compound.
Radials are not like bias ply in any way.
I was referring to 10% in context of "net-gains", not absolute tyre pressure :)
Sponsored