What’s everyone thinking Powertrain?

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Now I know it’s fairly obvious here. Being it’s built on the New C2 Platform with the Escape. But this is going to be more sporty and rugged. And the Escape hasn’t had a sporty power train like ever????

Given
1.5L I3T 180/180 Base
2.0L I4T 250/275 Limited

Possibly ST/Raptor
2.3L I4T 270/310

Hybrid from Escape
2.5 Hybrid 200/200
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
This is a tough one for me. I would prefer the smaller size "SportRickTurer" over the Big one. The 1.5L I3 mated to the current 8spd auto is intolerable, IMO. I had a 2020 Escape SE AWD loaner for a day with this powertrain while having FSA19B37 done on my '18 Escape. I am chrisgb on the Escape Forum and I wrote up an impression of it here. Short answer- it short shifts and has a booming drone between 45-70 mph. Problems are rising with the 2.0L EB I4 cooling system as time goes on as well. So that leaves a hybrid option for me, which I would seriously consider, providing this Bronc is more than just a mall-poser. The Jeep Compass and Cherokee have their own problems, so wait and see, I guess.

BUT what would really be cool would be a ~2.5L V8 option tuned to about 330 hp. and a Tremec 6-or 7-speed manual. Sound and Fury!

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Regardless of HP, I would certainly jump on a manual tranny!

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regardless of HP, I would certainly jump on a manual tranny!
keep dreaming on that one. They COULD use the 6speed manual from the Focus. But odds are it will be only auto.
And most likely even more, gear selector nob or button.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
keep dreaming on that one. They COULD use the 6speed manual from the Focus. But odds are it will be only auto.
Yep, I know. That's unfortunate.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
In the spy photos, there is indeed a knob selector, just as there is for the 1.3L I3 EcoBoost Escapes. The 2.0L Escapes get shift paddles on the steering wheel, so it would follow that a 2.0 Bronco would also... but we don't know.

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3 daily
I am thinking they might slip in the 2.3L EcoBoost instead of the 2.0 for the Scout. I also hope that they up the power on the Hybrid model compared to the Escape... Maybe something like 225hp/230tq. What will be interesting to see is if they have a plug in Hybrid model that retains AWD (The plug in Escape cannot have AWD due to the battery).

I am most interested in the Hybrid variant (if power increases)... Would be a nice daily to replace the wife's aging Focus.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
An AWD, PHEV drivetrain is being produced for the Lincoln Corsair later this year and it has more power (266 hp) due to the added electric motor on the rear wheels. I think they are going to have this to compete with the AWD, 300 hp, RAV4 PHEV coming out later this year.

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An AWD, PHEV drivetrain is being produced for the Lincoln Corsair later this year and it has more power (266 hp) due to the added electric motor on the rear wheels. I think they are going to have this to compete with the AWD, 300 hp, RAV4 PHEV coming out later this year.
That would be nice. So maybe the 2.0 is the base engine, then 2.3, then the hybrid models. In terms of power, 240-250 for the 2.0, 280-300 for 2.3, and 230-270 for mild and plug in hybrids. I can't see them offering anything but AWD for everything except maybe the base model.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
That would be nice. So maybe the 2.0 is the base engine, then 2.3, then the hybrid models. In terms of power, 240-250 for the 2.0, 280-300 for 2.3, and 230-270 for mild and plug in hybrids. I can't see them offering anything but AWD for everything except maybe the base model.
I think Ford must start at the 1.5L if they plan to compete with a Renegade. I would figure that all versions would be AWD.

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Ford must start at the 1.5L if they plan to compete with a Renegade. I would figure that all versions would be AWD.
I just don't see the 1.5 being powerful enough for an off-road oriented vehicle. It's ok for a vehicle like the escape but not off-road capable IMO. Paper specs are fine and comparable to the Jeep but torque below turbo spool will be key, something a 1.5L 3 cylinder doesn't have.

Last edited:

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I just don't see the 1.5 being powerful enough for an off-road oriented vehicle. It's ok for a vehicle like the escape but not off-road capable IMO. Paper specs are fine and comparable to the Jeep but torque below turbo spool will be key, something a 1.5L 3 cylinder doesn't have.
Peak torque of the Ford 1.5L 3 cylinder Ecoboost is from 1600 to 4000 rpm. I wouldn’t lug any gas engine below 1600 rpm if torque was needed. Nevertheless, it is likely that the Bronco Sport will have some form of lower gearing than the Escape and other off-road differential features similar to the Renegade Trailhawk to assist its off-road capabilities.

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peak torque of the Ford 1.5L 3 cylinder Ecoboost is from 1600 to 4000 rpm. I wouldn’t lug any gas engine below 1600 rpm if torque was needed. Nevertheless, it is likely that the Bronco Sport will have some form of lower gearing than the Escape and other off-road differential features similar to the Renegade Trailhawk to assist its off-road capabilities.
That is actually quite interesting... Did not know the turbo kicked in so quickly on the 1.5.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is actually quite interesting... Did not know the turbo kicked in so quickly on the 1.5.
most of the EcoBoost turbos kick in pretty quick because they are so small. Hence why so many people complain about the gas mileage on them because they get too much into the turbo

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
most of the EcoBoost turbos kick in pretty quick because they are so small. Hence why so many people complain about the gas mileage on them because they get too much into the turbo
I guess I am used to the Mustang's 2.3 which doesn't kick in tell about 2500 or so.
Sponsored