Vehicle(s)
Ford
Last edited:

Husker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Thanks for the info...Good to see more facts (I know, Leaked)

I've pretty much lost interest in the Bronco & Mustang-E...Hopefully, after this mess, life will return to normal.

Stay Safe Everyone.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
I drove a 2020 Escape SE with the 3cyl 1.5L Dragon when I had my 2018 Escape in for a field service action. I put 67 miles on it and it's not ready for prime time, IMHO.
With the new 8-spd automatic, it is tall geared and short shifts. There is a booming drone from 45 mph to 65-70 mph. At steady 50-55 mph it's irritating, almost unbearable. The engine turns only 1500 rpm at 60 mph. In the Escape at least, there is no Sport Mode with this engine/ trans combination, only PRNDL so you can't hold it in a lower gear like you can with the 2.0L/Select Shift.
I might consider the Bigger Brother, but the Sport lost me at the first digit in the VIN. and no way would I buy one made anywhere with the Dragon engine

Bertman

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 1972 VW Super Beetle, Suzuki Burgman
WTF? No hybrid this year, much less no plug-in hybrid, I’ve lost interest. See ‘ya Ford.

UnderTheRadar

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer Sport
The more I read, the more disappointed I become.
I thought these were being USA built, and now Ford
installs an inherently imbalanced 3 cyl? I can see
lots of recalls in this vehicle's future...

Bronco II

Badlands
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost conv 50 Year App Package
This totally confirms that the Bronco Sport is a rebodied Escape.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
This totally confirms that the Bronco Sport is a rebodied Escape.
If so, I already have an'09 Mariner.
It may have some dirt cred, as the wheelbase is 2 in. shorter which, would theoretically at least, offer better breakover angles. The nose is also more "chin up" than the Escape's for maybe the same reason? Still, nothing on suspension, I probably won't do anything until early 2022, but for now, the Hermosillo-built Sport is off my list.

Bronco II

Badlands
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It may have some dirt cred, as the wheelbase is 2 in. shorter which, would theoretically at least, offer better breakover angles. The nose is also more "chin up" than the Escape's for maybe the same reason? Still, nothing on suspension, I probably won't do anything until early 2022, but for now, the Hermosillo-built Sport is off my list.
Hay nothing wrong with it being a rebodied Escape I have owned three Escapes and they were very competent is the snow. Also sharing platforms saves a lot of money so the Bronco Sport won't be to high priced.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hay nothing wrong with it being a rebodied Escape I have owned three Escapes and they were very competent is the snow. Also sharing platforms saves a lot of money so the Bronco Sport won't be to high priced.
I have a 2018 Escape SEL 4wd along with the 2009 Mariner. Both are good winter vehicles, but I prefer the boxier, V6 Merc. The Escape feels smaller inside than the Mariner, so I probably will get the Bronco, For now, the Sport is a pass. Too many good SUVs available that are built in this country.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Becoming more of a turnoff. Wet timing belt (at least in the dragon), Hermosillo-built, no manual tranny, giant arcade screen on the dash. I was hoping for an improved version of my 2006 Escape. I'm beginning to believe the original Escape's success and appeal was bolstered with Mazda's heavy collaboration on that design.

Bronco II

Badlands
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Becoming more of a turnoff. Wet timing belt (at least in the dragon), Hermosillo-built, no manual tranny, giant arcade screen on the dash. I was hoping for an improved version of my 2006 Escape. I'm beginning to believe the original Escape's success and appeal was bolstered with Mazda's heavy collaboration on that design.

The Bronco Sport is designed to take on vehicles like the Jeep Renegade not the Wrangler. If you want a manual transmission and heavy duty off road capabilities you want the full size Bronco.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
The Bronco Sport is designed to take on vehicles like the Jeep Renegade not the Wrangler. If you want a manual transmission and heavy duty off road capabilities you want the full size Bronco.
I really wasn't looking for "heavy duty off road capabilities", nor a vehicle like the Renegade, but at least the Renegade did offer a manual transmission until last year. But you're right, despite what Ford declared ("Sport to be tough, rugged"), it looks to be a glorified grocery-getter/mall crawler. Most Renegades I see on the road are female-driven, probably the same market for the Sport, eh?

wills7577

Base
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey, thanks for sharing this PDF. It looks like page 10 of 25. Can you share the rest of the document?

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Those Mariners are tanks; just like the old bodied escape. IMO if you are considering a BS then the 2.0 is the ONLY way to go. I don't think I could settle for the 1.5 regardless of the trim and options; I would probably kept looking at a different vehicle tbh.
But don't get me wrong I'm sure the 1.5 is more than accommodating for a lot of people in the market for a crossover.
Sponsored