First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
different vehicle
but indications point sensors may be present
Roger that! I thought it would be hard to interpolate transmission temp, but then again I thought it would be hard to interpolate oil temp too!

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Roger that! I thought it would be hard to interpolate transmission temp, but then again I thought it would be hard to interpolate oil temp too!
Interestingly enough, further into those posts I think they reference just that.
Temp fluctuations across the transmission and possibly dual readouts.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Downloaded APP mentioned by OP. It works with my Forseal Wi-Fi for IOS & Android that I use for Fusion OBDII. Only got to try for a little bit but did try Trans Temp & Inlet Air Temp. Took very short ride, values did increase some. Will try more tomorrow.
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring 1656888416010

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have a auto-start cable plugged into the ODB port. How can I do this with that?

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I believe some of the system parameters are interpolated rather than direct measurements. For example, I don't believe oil temperature is based on a sensor. It's calculated by the powertrain control module (PCM) based on coolant temp. Similarly, oil pressure is based on coolant temp, the oil pressure switch, and engine speed. More here:

https://www.focusst.org/threads/oil-pressure.36178/#post-802015

Do you know if the transmission temp comes directly from a sensor?
Good question. The BS (Badlands at least) has Ford's 8F35 8-speed trans. Poking around some on Google, it does seem to have an actual wired Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) sensor, but I can't find a link to it or the part number/pix.

From my extremely limited experience (one afternoon :D ) with the dongle and app - - it sure seems appropriate what I was seeing (upon selecting 'TFT - Method 3' in the app). Temps in the 150's starting out after being parked, then, being up in the 190's when moving. So, even if this PID is being calculated by the PCM or the app, it's useful and most likely fairly accurate. FWIW

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe some of the system parameters are interpolated rather than direct measurements. For example, I don't believe oil temperature is based on a sensor. It's calculated by the powertrain control module (PCM) based on coolant temp. Similarly, oil pressure is based on coolant temp, the oil pressure switch, and engine speed. More here:

https://www.focusst.org/threads/oil-pressure.36178/#post-802015

Do you know if the transmission temp comes directly from a sensor?
As posted above, I got this app to work briefly last nite. Today before starting my OB, it was in the garage overnite. where ambient temp was 84. I started the app and it showed inlet air temp as well as trans temp. They were not identical but close and both were in 80s. Also before starting the OB, I switched the app on my iPh to Fusion OBD where I have a “dashboard“ with ambient, inlet air, and coolant temps. All were in the mid 80s.
I changed back to the app OP has & started OB.
After about 20 min in light stop & go traffic, then steady 45-50 for 4-5 miles Inlet Air Temp settled at 108 & trans at 205. Ambient temp was 91.
Based on that I’m thinking there is a trams temp sensor somewhere. At info my 13 5.0 F150 (with tow pkg & trans cooler) very rarely sees 200 trans temp in town traffic.

Now what I’m wondering, Where is inlet air temp taken?

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a auto-start cable plugged into the ODB port. How can I do this with that?
Personally do not think you can. These apps talk via WiFi/Bluetooth to a "dongle" that is plugged into the OBDII port. With a cable plugged in, no room for "dongle".

Chadwick

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Personally do not think you can. These apps talk via WiFi/Bluetooth to a "dongle" that is plugged into the OBDII port. With a cable plugged in, no room for "dongle".
Search for “OBD2 Splitter” on Amazon…

-Keith.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Sorry been busy with job etc ...but have continued to research this topic. I still have the VeePeak OBD BLE+; but have not been using it. They have come down in price on Amazon from ~$72 when I got one to ~$42 today, so that's a good thing. But I unplugged mine and have sidelined it for now. I didn't have time to mention, last Fall here... but I was starting to have troubles as Autumn progressed, with the phone app recognizing and initiating a a session with the Veepeak. Life got busy... and I sidelined the whole priority. Recently, I decided to re-boot my whole approach to this.

Another trigger for this change: 12V battery risks. I'd started noticing threads on other forums about OBD2 ports staying 'hot' when the vehicle is off and/or locked. I'd begun noticing a few months ago, persistent and pernicious losses of battery reserve on my BS. When new, I could listen to the stereo with ignition off for 5-10 minutes without issues. As last Autumn progressed, I noticed more and more, the Head Unit warning 'System going to Standby to save Battery' or some such. It got worse and worse (all the while, with my Veepeak always plugged in to the OBD2 port). Finally in January I was out of town for a week in wonderful Florida, with my BS in the garage, locked the whole time. The battery was DEFINITELY worse after that. My BS would now go to the silly 'Shutting Down...' notice in the head unit, within 10 SECONDS of my turning off the engine and exiting, if I opened a door then. Plus my dome lights started SHUTTING OFF after about 10 seconds with a door open and the engine off. I.e. something was destroying my 12V OEM battery.

I replaced my OEM battery with a yellow Optima 12V one (shout out to a peer here - who did the same!). I researched latent key-off 12VDC loads on Google, and found Toyota Tacoma owners for example, fingering OBD2 devices for latent 'stealth' battery drains over time. I unplugged my Veepeak with a little sob. And I moved on to other options.

I stepped back and thought about what I really want in transmission temp monitoring. Things I DO NOT want:

1. Single-purpose, dedicated solutions. I'd like to see other PID's too if possible.
2. IMPORTANT: NO solutions which are sneaky in destroying my 12V battery, without notification.
3. Much as I hate to say it, (partly b/c many in today's enthusiast community, prudently embrace cell phone solutions, and they are quite convenient)... I need to divorce this solution from my cell phone since that device is already heavily utilized in my use case.
4. I must have a simple, one-reach solution for precluding latent voltage loss, and also, enablement, of whatever solution I employ.

I settled on a ScanGauge II. Thru their 'XGauge' PID data dictionary, it appears I can find the transmission temps (or emulations of same) that I am thoroughly obsessed with. Out of the gate, the ScanGauge II appears to solve all my above dilemmas (what are everyone's thoughts on that?). My plan, crude though it my be, is to place such a gadget on the top of my IP steering column (right below the speedo/tach OEM cluster). and configure the device to show TFT and other PID's of note... unless/until I conclude it's jeopardizing my 12V battery - at which point I'd keep it plugged into the OBD2 port but simply disconnect the data/power cable from it's little head unit on my dash. (Plug, no pun intended, for ScanGuage: their gadget allows owners to leave the OBD2 cable configured, but unplug the device itself, right at either the side or the back-side jack of the ScanGauge display). I've concluded - I don't really need to constantly monitor TFT and other PID's on my BS... just when I'm curious or hammering the poor thing. Then, I'd plug in the thing, already on my dash, and see the data I need. Thoughts?

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I got my Scangauge 2 from EBay for $130. Pricy, yes, compared to the typical BlueTooth OBD2 gadget/phone combo's many folks use. But I stated my case above, for that. (In case anyone cares ;) ).

I plugged it in and temporarily taped it onto my dash under my instrument cluster as seen in pix below. It started right up and I was able to immediately add a 'gauge' (ScanGauge would call it an 'XGauge') for Ford CANSF transmission fluid temp, commonly referred to as 'TFT' per their recommendation in the channel definition from their web site Support section on PID's.

Right away, this 'TFT' gauge started showing pretty much what I'd been seeing previously above, with my little VeePeak OBD2 BT gadget and the phone app. That is, temps in the low 100's (F) upon startup and takeoff, then ~180's (F) when pushing the BS BL kind of hard. ('Kind of Hard' to me, is just spirited driving on side streets and freeways, in Sport mode, with a lot of full-throttle transients within the restrictions of legal operation on public roads).

I'm happy overall (so far) with the Scangauge 2. It meets my above criteria for my use case vision. Plus it enables me to track my most crucial parameter, TFT, going forward. I will make a more permanent velcro (try not to snicker now!) mount next, in the illustrated location, and proceed to the next phase of all this. I'd like it to show some "bonus" PID's too, like TBV (Total Battery Voltage) and SOC (State of Charge) for my new Optima 12V battery. Scangauge says those can be shown... but tonight I was struggling a little with getting those to display nonzero values so far. I will update you all, as time permits.

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring thumbnail_IMG_0916

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring thumbnail_IMG_0923

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another update - I'm communicating now with '[email protected]' on TBV and SOC, we'll see on that. In the meantime, I did find there is a default voltage available out of the box for the SG2 - it's called 'VLT' (Total Voltage? I guess) and tracks very well to what I'd expect my battery terminals to show if hooked up to a DC Voltmeter. That is, about 11.8 VDC with engine off and dome lite on, 12.x with same but after running engine, and 14-15 while engine is running. See pix below. I also started improving the mount today, going hi-tech with real Velcro as supplied with the kit. Many times I expect I will unplug and run without the SG2 in place, as in the last pic below. I've now got at least all the basic parameters I'd sought for this - especially the crucial trans fluid temps - so looks like this will work well.
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring thumbnail_IMG_0928
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring thumbnail_IMG_0928
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring thumbnail_IMG_0931
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring thumbnail_IMG_0932
Sponsored