FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Does anyone know of a OBD2 app that actually shows transmission temperature?
Sponsored

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
I use OBD Fusion (latest update) and have not found a PID for trans temp on my 22 Outer Banks.
I do however use the "calculated" boost gauge as well as a couple of available temp PIDs.
To get "boost" I think OBD Fusion takes the difference in current barometric pressure against intake manifold pressure and displays the difference.
I have a couple of "dashboards" built on my iPH that show the same. Anytime the Intake Manifold pressure is above real Atmospheric pressure, that would seem to indicate "boost".
Would like to have trans temp available, as well as what ever they call the AWD "transfer case" - I know that's not the correct name, but when it gets too hot it displays a message the AWD isn't available.
My 14 Mustang and 13 F150 5.0 do show the trans temp on OBD fusion, each also has a trans temp gauge on the dash.

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring IMG_0057.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring IMG_0058.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring IMG_0059.JPG

Last edited:

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
OP
OP
FordGuy

FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm keenly interested in watching my trans temps. I used to do so on my 2015 Escape Titanium 2.0L and it was valuable to know, especially when pushing the car hard in hot weather.

I found this thread among Honda Ridgeline owners, and I've ordered the related VeePeak OBD scanner. Will update folks here once I know more.

Thread: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/found-an-atf-temperature-monitor-on-iphone-without-creating-custom-pid.223790/
Right on yes please do update if it works !

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
I'm keenly interested in watching my trans temps. I used to do so on my 2015 Escape Titanium 2.0L and it was valuable to know, especially when pushing the car hard in hot weather.

I found this thread among Honda Ridgeline owners, and I've ordered the related VeePeak OBD scanner. Will update folks here once I know more.

Thread: https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/found-an-atf-temperature-monitor-on-iphone-without-creating-custom-pid.223790/
Definitely watching for update. Thank you.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Good news! Got the ZeePeak gadget today from Amazon. Followed instructions (!important!). FIRST downloaded the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app for my iPhone (I did not pay for the upgraded version). Started app and selected Ford etc, and the SECOND choice for engine/vehicle (Sorry didn't write it down - was something like "OBD2 - Newer version for 'modern Fords' "). Kept app running. Plugged ZeePeak in my OBD2 port (which is nicely tucked under the left bottom dash corner - but not too deep and not covered by a cover thankfully!). Note, it's a tight fit getting it in there properly. I needed to get down on my knees so I could make sure I was pushing it parallel to the port's axis, then push pretty hard with two hands, and it never actually 'clicked' in... but ok. Once it was in, the little blue light started blinking on it, even though the car was off. Started engine. Connected the app with the ZeePeak from WITHIN the app, not via iPhone BT settings. Eureka! Could see RPM's immediately. But I had to delete one of the three 'dashboards' to then be able to text-search for 'transmission...' and select it for a new dashboard #3. I also saw 'Trans Temp, Method 2' and selected that. (I have no idea what it is!). Now I do see a trans temp gauge, but so far only have had time to start car in garage with this running... so trans was showing 0 deg F. I'm meeting a friend for dinner - - will report back later. So far, so good.

OP
OP
FordGuy

FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Update: Good news! Got the ZeePeak gadget today from Amazon. Followed instructions (!important!). FIRST downloaded the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app for my iPhone (I did not pay for the upgraded version). Started app and selected Ford etc, and the SECOND choice for engine/vehicle (Sorry didn't write it down - was something like "OBD2 - Newer version for 'modern Fords' "). Kept app running. Plugged ZeePeak in my OBD2 port (which is nicely tucked under the left bottom dash corner - but not too deep and not covered by a cover thankfully!). Note, it's a tight fit getting it in there properly. I needed to get down on my knees so I could make sure I was pushing it parallel to the port's axis, then push pretty hard with two hands, and it never actually 'clicked' in... but ok. Once it was in, the little blue light started blinking on it, even though the car was off. Started engine. Connected the app with the ZeePeak from WITHIN the app, not via iPhone BT settings. Eureka! Could see RPM's immediately. But I had to delete one of the three 'dashboards' to then be able to text-search for 'transmission...' and select it for a new dashboard #3. I also saw 'Trans Temp, Method 2' and selected that. (I have no idea what it is!). Now I do see a trans temp gauge, but so far only have had time to start car in garage with this running... so trans was showing 0 deg F. I'm meeting a friend for dinner - - will report back later. So far, so good.
Holy crap. I’ll wait for your update first but sounding good

OP
OP
FordGuy

FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Can you gI’ve link to the zeepeak you bought on Amazon?
Also is this the app you used?

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring A8F44347-CE9A-4ABA-915C-EBA6998E4766

Last edited:

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyway… more (guarded) good news. One thing though… remember the note in ZeePeak’s instructions: be safe! I’ve had quite a few cars and car gadgets over the years… but this one is really distracting. More than once I’ve had to stop somewhere safe today, keeping the car in Drive so as not to disrupt my semi-scientific experiments, to tweak gauges and dashboards in the little app. It’s got its quirks! But overall I’m still happy with both the ZeePeak and the app. I did finally discover though, only METHOD 3 of the trans temp choices, gives accurate and timely actual temps for my trans. Here’s a few screenshots. I will post more from my actual computer instead of the tiny phone keypad.

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring 3E1DB77C-749D-41DA-9978-6BDA14FF8786

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring 0203A6E1-247E-4A05-9BA1-706906CA213E

Ford Bronco Sport Transmission temperature monitoring 1880BF4B-922B-477E-B833-9E860E60812A

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, a real keyboard again! Anyway... my first screen shot shows three different representations of the same PID, 'Trans Temp METHOD 3' - like I said, the only one that gives good results IMHO. I don't know what I did wrong, to get those odd overlapping gauges there - anyone pls chime in if you know.

I will describe the third screenshot next, since it was, actually the second (note the time in the upper left, from Google Maps). It showed the trans and IAT temps in a new, *readable* dashboard, for when I left the restaurant tonight. It makes sense, a moderate (~153F) trans temp from the trans thermal mass being cooled while I ate; and a high initial IAT upon startup, from the hot ambient (83F) and asphalt parking lot and underhood heat soak. Then after driving for about 15 minutes, trans temp was up from me again pounding the poor car in this summer heat (192F) but IAT's were down some to 95F due to air moving thru the intake and engine bay.

My very limited history: I used to soup up a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for which I had bolted on a smaller supercharger pulley and had an insulated K&N CAI. It dyno'd at 250 wheel HP, meaning I'd increased it from stock crank HP of 260 to about 300. That car, if pushed hard in the heat, commonly had trans temps soar into the low 240's, until I installed an aux trans fluid cooler in front of the AC Condenser. Then it would max out at about 220F. Still very hot, but not trans-destroying hot like the 240's are.

For a well-designed, stock vehicle, the max trans temps with no trailer or weird driving (like on beaches!) should typically stay below 200F. (Many/most radiator thermostats are 195F; and most standard trans coolers are slaved to that temperature since the trans oil cooler is integral to the engine coolant radiator).

I'm adding some kind of K&N CAI to my Sport next, now that I have confidence I can keep an eye on the trans temps.

OP
OP
FordGuy

FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Ah, a real keyboard again! Anyway... my first screen shot shows three different representations of the same PID, 'Trans Temp METHOD 3' - like I said, the only one that gives good results IMHO. I don't know what I did wrong, to get those odd overlapping gauges there - anyone pls chime in if you know.

I will describe the third screenshot next, since it was, actually the second (note the time in the upper left, from Google Maps). It showed the trans and IAT temps in a new, *readable* dashboard, for when I left the restaurant tonight. It makes sense, a moderate (~153F) trans temp from the trans thermal mass being cooled while I ate; and a high initial IAT upon startup, from the hot ambient (83F) and asphalt parking lot and underhood heat soak. Then after driving for about 15 minutes, trans temp was up from me again pounding the poor car in this summer heat (192F) but IAT's were down some to 95F due to air moving thru the intake and engine bay.

My very limited history: I used to soup up a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for which I had bolted on a smaller supercharger pulley and had an insulated K&N CAI. It dyno'd at 250 wheel HP, meaning I'd increased it from stock crank HP of 260 to about 300. That car, if pushed hard in the heat, commonly had trans temps soar into the low 240's, until I installed an aux trans fluid cooler in front of the AC Condenser. Then it would max out at about 220F. Still very hot, but not trans-destroying hot like the 240's are.

For a well-designed, stock vehicle, the max trans temps with no trailer or weird driving (like on beaches!) should typically stay below 200F. (Many/most radiator thermostats are 195F; and most standard trans coolers are slaved to that temperature since the trans oil cooler is integral to the engine coolant radiator).

I'm adding some kind of K&N CAI to my Sport next, now that I have confidence I can keep an eye on the trans temps.
Wow. It works! Not bad for a $10 app and 50 dollar obd scanner!

OP
OP
FordGuy

FordGuy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I believe some of the system parameters are interpolated rather than direct measurements. For example, I don't believe oil temperature is based on a sensor. It's calculated by the powertrain control module (PCM) based on coolant temp. Similarly, oil pressure is based on coolant temp, the oil pressure switch, and engine speed. More here:

https://www.focusst.org/threads/oil-pressure.36178/#post-802015

Do you know if the transmission temp comes directly from a sensor?
Sponsored