Transmission - stuck in too high of an automatic gear at 40mph?

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Mine only does it in sport, I was concerned at first , but it’s consistent on where it keeps the rpms. If I’m cruising at 40 mph, in sport, my rpms hang at 2200. In normal, its like 17-1800. I think sport just keeps them higher so it can be more responsive because (I hypothesize) it’s sport mode. If I step on it and am over 60, then decelerate, the rpms hang a little higher, a little longer, I suspect for the same reason.
thats my theory.
Sponsored

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Mine only does it in sport, I was concerned at first , but it’s consistent on where it keeps the rpms. If I’m cruising at 40 mph, in sport, my rpms hang at 2200. In normal, its like 17-1800. I think sport just keeps them higher so it can be more responsive because (I hypothesize) it’s sport mode. If I step on it and am over 60, then decelerate, the rpms hang a little higher, a little longer, I suspect for the same reason.
thats my theory.
I let the BS run with sport mode all the time cause just like whats said here the normal mode at 40mph is slow…in sport mode at 45mph im at 3000rpm, see pic…this was a while back when i was trying to count the gear shift…so if you want that torque to be always there i suggest use sport mode all the time…i once asked here if default goat mode can be changed but alas i just settled with switching to sport mode everytime i start
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission - stuck in too high of an automatic gear at 40mph? 7465A046-3883-4FC5-9E1F-F105B3A239A0

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I let the BS run with sport mode all the time cause just like whats said here the normal mode at 40mph is slow…in sport mode at 45mph im at 3000rpm, see pic…this was a while back when i was trying to count the gear shift…so if you want that torque to be always there i suggest use sport mode all the time…i once asked here if default goat mode can be changed but alas i just settled with switching to sport mode everytime i start
Ford Bronco Sport Transmission - stuck in too high of an automatic gear at 40mph? 7465A046-3883-4FC5-9E1F-F105B3A239A0
See that’s exactly how I used to drive my manual shift 2 door ‘88 honda accord like it was a mustang lol. I’d run’em high and the car would be zippier and when I was 16 I thought I was flying.

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
@Tlmbigos If the sport mode still doesnt help, then might want to have dealer check it…i had my chevy last time recalled due to some wrong computer programming where there is no power/torque coming from a stop to green, my car would crawl thru the intersection and i was like “wtf is going on!”…then after the reprogram, i have a ton of torque on any gear

Last edited:

Ceccacci316

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco sport
I drive mine in sport mode only as it keeps the shifts more crisp and responsive, but can still lug a bit here & there at a certain speed. Almost feels like a bit of turbo lag.
I noticed this same behavior in sport mode. Stays at around 3000rpm at 45mph.
Sponsored