Transmission - stuck in too high of an automatic gear at 40mph?

Tlmbigos

Base
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport 2021
Anyone else feel like their bronco sport is stuck in too high of an automatic gear when traveling aroumd 40mph? When i follow traffic going 40mph, the car feels like it needs to be in a lower gear. Ever drive a standard engine? The person with you says ---- okay either speed up or downshift. Ya something is not right. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out.
Sponsored

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I have the same issue around the same speed range with the 3-cylinder. Seems to be a bit common with these models right now. Either it is still part of the adaptive learning (I am only at 670 miles) or there will likely be a future software update to the transmission controller if this is a widespread issue.

OP
OP
Tlmbigos

Tlmbigos

Base
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport 2021
I have the same issue around the same speed range with the 3-cylinder. Seems to be a bit common with these models right now. Either it is still part of the adaptive learning (I am only at 670 miles) or there will likely be a future software update to the transmission controller if this is a widespread issue.
Thanks! I thought i was imagining it!

OP
OP
Tlmbigos

Tlmbigos

Base
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport 2021
I drive mine in sport mode only as it keeps the shifts more crisp and responsive, but can still lug a bit here & there at a certain speed. Almost feels like a bit of turbo lag.
Yes!

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Thanks! I thought i was imagining it!
Not at all! I have been respectfully vocal about it and hoping maybe Ford will eventually see enough complaints to warrant a change in the shift patterns.

Cyclone-2021

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I noticed at 55 mph, it feels like the transmission is in too high of a gear. It’s running at about 1400 RPM and it sounds like it’s lugging the engine too much. Gear 8 is ok for cruising at 70 mph on interstate.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Wow, Mine feels like It's always In the correct gear.
At 40 mph I will admit the rev's seem low but that's because I've got EIGHT gears, two of which are over drives. The Turbo keeps the engine In the power band. (Turbo on the 1.5 powers up the motor starting at I think 1700 RPM).
1900 or 2k on the 2.0 Liter.
I can accelerate smoothly from 40, or any speed and not cause a downshift. That's the Turbo !
BUT I am not expecting the power feel of a bigger 3.6 Ltr V-6 or V-8.

OP
OP
Tlmbigos

Tlmbigos

Base
First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport 2021
I noticed at 55 mph, it feels like the transmission is in too high of a gear. It’s running at about 1400 RPM and it sounds like it’s lugging the engine too much. Gear 8 is ok for cruising at 70 mph on interstate.
Yes! Exactly- it does it at 40 and right at about 60mph. Def should not be in that high of a gear. Feels like a teenager trying to learn how a Drive standard lol!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I looked at my tach at 40, 55 and 70 mph. I got 1,300, 1,700 and 2,000 rpm's.
No idea what gear it's in, no gear indicator. Is there one?
Even at 40 and 1300 revs I get instant acceleration if I press the gas pedal.
does it downshift? If I press enough yes.
No where and at no time do I sense the engine lugging. At all speeds and rpm's I have good responsive throttle response and adequate power on demand.

Lalo135

Badlands
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have been noticing that mine is usually stuck at 2K at 40mph. I’ve also been getting more jerking while accelerating but stuck at 2k.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've watched my tachometer a little.
@30 I've seen 1300 rpm,
@40 1600 and 1700 and 2100 depending on the grade,
@70 2000 in top gear I assume.
Always smooth, no 'jerkyness' at any speed or under any condition.
Yours is under warranty...

Rkers

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Anyone else feel like their bronco sport is stuck in too high of an automatic gear when traveling aroumd 40mph? When i follow traffic going 40mph, the car feels like it needs to be in a lower gear. Ever drive a standard engine? The person with you says ---- okay either speed up or downshift. Ya something is not right. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out.
It's just engineered that way for mileage. And with the turbos it has enough torque if you are at a steady speed.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you say that 7 and 8 th gear is overdrive?
Have not seen the gear ratios yet but I suspect 5th is the 1:1 with 6,7 and 8 being over. I have noticed I don't always get into 8th. Not sure but at my normal most common speed of 55 or 60 I think I stay in 7 because past 65 or 70 the tac seems to go back to where it was at 55 or 60.
I think..

Reactions: Jrl

Rkers

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I noticed this when I first started driving mine in January. I have 4000 miles on it now and don't notice it doing that anymore.
Sponsored