JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I ordered an A-Tach #509268 mount off of ebay. Should have it on friday and my BS should be here at the same time. I think I will go with a lip mount on the rear lift gate. More as it all happens.
i looked on ebay and on the A-Tach site and did not see the mount. Do you have a link?
I will look forward to seeing your pictures.
Sponsored

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB

Saber

First Name
saber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota
Speaking of myself I just got my GMRS license and considering buying Midland ( need a suggestion for any of these models mentioned here https://www.whollyoutdoor.com/best-gmrs-radios/). Also, I think Midland makes the best ones for installation on your rig. What parts would I need to install the radio? All it came with was the box, a mic, and power cables.

How difficult would it be to get the parts I need and to get everything up and running?

Last edited:

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Miata GT 97 f150 21 BS BL
Got my radio and antenna mounted and every thing is working fine. The radio body is mounted under the drivers seat to the left of the heater duct. I bolted a piece of 2X4 to the bottom of the mount to lift it a bit off of the floor. For the time being, I'm using a lighter plug for power. The wiring is easily routed back towards the fire wall and tucked behind trim on its way to the radio. The control head is mounted with an A-Tach #50268 mount at the bottom of the cubby beneath the radio. I added an A-Tach Magnetic holder to hold the control head. ( see pictures) All cables are tucked behind trim. I did mount the holder a little higher on the mount as can be seen in the pictures. This gives a little more clearance for the heater access. The radio is an Icom ID-5100 dual band and D-Star unit. I plane to add a bluetooth headset later. Next post will show antenna.

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 20210429_140400 (2)

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport IMG_3845 (2).JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport IMG_3841 (2).JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport IMG_3840 (2).JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 20210429_140220 (2)

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the antenna on the rear hatch with a 3-way adjustable lip mount. The mount is a Diamond K412SNMO from HRO. I was going to get a mount with a wider base, but there is just a little too much curvature where I wanted to mount it. The mount comes with 13.5 ft of thin RG-316 low loss coax which is just enough to get to the radio body under the seat. I tucked the coax along the trim and headliner junction and down the rubber seal at the front of the drivers side rear door. Where it came out I added a stick on clip on the inside of the b pillar near the bottom and zip tied the coax to the bottom of the front seat belt attachment near the floor. From there to the radio. The cable has an SMA connector but the mount comes with a SMA to PL259 adaptor. The mount is adjustable enough to allow the glass to open. Take special care routing the coax from the mount along the hatch so it doesn't get caught in anything. I used 3 stick on cable clip here. The kit comes with 4 of them.

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport IMG_3833 (2).JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport IMG_3834 (2).JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport IMG_3838 (2).JPG

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you worry about pinching the coax every time you close the gate? Nice install
The radio body under seat is clever. There are few places to mount a radio.

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you worry about pinching the coax every time you close the gate? Nice install
The radio body under seat is clever. There are few places to mount a radio.
Not really, I used clips to route the coax to a safe place plus the coax is actually thinner than the gap between the body and the lift gate. RG-316 is a low loss PTFE coax about the same diameter as RG-174 but still capable of use at microwave frequencies.

ChiefBraz

Big Bend
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2021 and Bronco Full Size 1986
Trying to put transceiver/Antenna installation ideas in one location. Please move to appropriate place if needed.

Looking for location and wiring ideas/discussions/examples for both the radios and the antennas on our Bronco Sports.

Ford has some documentation on the subject that may be of use. Much of Fords info is based on the ARRL handbook concerning the routing of antennas and power leads.

Galvanic corrosion attachment will help anyone installing dissimilar metals to the body (antennas) to prevent corrosion if you start drilling the roof for your install.
I changed antenna to a Nagoya UT-73 Mag mount and moved it to roughly Fords recommended position number 2. It's now about 3 inches forward of the BS antenna instead of the 27 inches previously. I also rerouted the coax in the interior in case that mattered. I didn't change anything with power supply yet.

Started out at 25 watts transmitting multiple times on empty UHF and VHF Freq. while driving and no problems. Held my breath and switched to full power (50 watts) and so far no problems.

I still don't know if I had a temporary glitch in the Bronco or something caused by RF interference. For now I'm sticking with the current layout and monitor for any other glitches.
Appreciate you taking a lead on this adventure. I am interested as well to install my ICOM 706. I am trying to decide the best location to install the radio/antenna. I am hesitate to start drilling without knowing if that location will work or not. Thank you for sharing the Ford documentation as this provided some initial guidance. I am curious to know where you grounded the unit and how and any other advice you may have before installing.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was planning on a multi band antenna with an nmo mount. I don't like the idea of set screws securing to body work
I believe nmo can be made water tight.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Appreciate you taking a lead on this adventure. I am interested as well to install my ICOM 706. I am trying to decide the best location to install the radio/antenna. I am hesitate to start drilling without knowing if that location will work or not. Thank you for sharing the Ford documentation as this provided some initial guidance. I am curious to know where you grounded the unit and how and any other advice you may have before installing.
My transceiver (mounted with heavy duty velcro under the drivers seat) is grounded and powered through the firewall (via an existing grommet) to the battery via 12 gauge copper wire . I'm only transmitting at 50 watts but if I ever go for higher output I'll be prepared. I also can't get myself to drill holes yet so I'm currently using a Nagoya UT-73 Mag mount so antenna isn't grounded. As mentioned earlier in the thread I was using a Diamond NR770HBNMO antenna on a Diamond 7500 motorized mount on the rear luggage crossbar. Worked great until my Copilot 360+ acted up. Hence the switch to the mag mount which works about as well as using a handheld in the vehicle. I may go back to the Diamond setup and hope for the best. Still waiting for a Bronco Sport specific antenna mount. Until then I'm trying temporary positions for both transceiver and antenna until others come up with better installation ideas.

Rexen

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Hi everyone! I'm having a heck of a time getting a swr under 3 for my cb antenna. Its a short firestick that I have mounted to my cargo basket. I'm running a ground line from the mounting stud to a screw on the body by the lift gate and the radio is powered through the 12v outlet. All suggestions appreciated!

NavyBOFH

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Glad to see this is still being discussed! I moved and took on a new job during all this so my BS hasn’t been touched yet… but still have radio and dash cams to run.

My install at this point will be just a single radio - a Motorola XTL5000 VHF on the handheld control head. The only reason I’m choosing that route is mounting multiple radio decks seems to be an exercise of what space I’m willing to lose in the process. Otherwise I have a UHF radio I’d install as well and run both through a combiner into a single Comet antenna.

Power was my biggest concern past mounting, which if I can figure out where to mount both decks I will just run a 12ga line in from the firewall.

But as said on here - I wish there was a specific mount made for our vehicles! I don’t mind drilling an NMO, but don’t know where I’d want to drill it yet with the possibility of adding a roof rack in the future.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Glad to see this is still being discussed! I moved and took on a new job during all this so my BS hasn’t been touched yet… but still have radio and dash cams to run.

My install at this point will be just a single radio - a Motorola XTL5000 VHF on the handheld control head. The only reason I’m choosing that route is mounting multiple radio decks seems to be an exercise of what space I’m willing to lose in the process. Otherwise I have a UHF radio I’d install as well and run both through a combiner into a single Comet antenna.

Power was my biggest concern past mounting, which if I can figure out where to mount both decks I will just run a 12ga line in from the firewall.

But as said on here - I wish there was a specific mount made for our vehicles! I don’t mind drilling an NMO, but don’t know where I’d want to drill it yet with the possibility of adding a roof rack in the future.
Earlier, there was talk about trying the antenna on an a-pillar bracket. Any thoughts on this? I’d hate to mess with the electronics if he vehicle but would sure be convenient.

I see there Is now a high quality bracket available: https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/a-pillar-ditch-light-mounts-now-available.2363/

what do you all think?

lej51201

Big Bend
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I bit the bullet today. I’ve done installs for 30+ years so I know “how” to do it but this was was risk being a new model and no help online. I was really afraid of hitting a cross member. I went with 20” forward of the shark fin and center of the center ridge. It was perfect. 3/4” hole saw and dropped in an NMO Mount. Snaked the cable to the passenger side B pillar, down to the kick plate and into the center console where the radio is mounted. I am pleased and relieved that’s it’s over. My BS is only about a week old.
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport CEB0E035-ADEE-4F77-B1AE-540AAD14AB5C
Sponsored