Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
I get that a bigger antenna and a better system give you more range/options, but I'm just curious what you actually are doing with your HAM system. I've used handheld radios for camping and road trips before, and even in the mountains and several miles apart I've gotten signal out to friends without issue using cheap equipment.

If it's more for peace of mind as an emergency communication method, it's really not a great option, especially compared to something like a sat phone where you don't need to know local frequencies and can get a signal anywhere you can see the sky (on top of being less expensive and requiring zero modification to your car).

Not throwing any shade, I'm just genuinely curious about what everyone is using these systems for, besides making their Bronco look like a cool RC car.
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667692139414

Just checking in on the neighbors
across the globe
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If it's more for peace of mind as an emergency communication method, it's really not a great option, especially compared to something like a sat phone where you don't need to know local frequencies and can get a signal anywhere you can see the sky (on top of being less expensive and requiring zero modification to your car).
A quick check shows that most of those posting about mobile radios are flatlanders (Minnesota, Illinois, etc.). A tall aerial and high power can get you some distance in those conditions. If you like to off-road in a group it might be handy to know you can stay in touch over longer distances. Plus, I think you need a subscription for a sat phone.

Personally, I just carry a GPS locator for emergencies. I can send a geolocated SOS from just about anywhere for a couple of dollars a month.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667867237675

Concept
install mount for transceiver antenna
current favored location
passenger or driver side front quarter panel faux vent

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667868203998

Obstacles

lack of solid support
may develop means to "sandwich" existing material
inboard plate coupled with exterior hardware

utilizing ditch light mounts seemed appropriate
however that choice compromised the site for future ditch light applications
we'll see where this leads to

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
I get that a bigger antenna and a better system give you more range/options, but I'm just curious what you actually are doing with your HAM system. I've used handheld radios for camping and road trips before, and even in the mountains and several miles apart I've gotten signal out to friends without issue using cheap equipment.

Not throwing any shade, I'm just genuinely curious about what everyone is using these systems for, besides making their Bronco look like a cool RC car.
For me it's largely peace of mind for when the grid goes down. 🛰 In practical use, I've used GMRS on road trip convoys (two or three vehicles), and HTs at campgrounds. The reason for my choosing the mobile mounted unit I have is primarily for monitoring 2m and 70cm Ham. I'll eventually get a Technician Ticket and I'm learning by listening... When I do get my ticket, I'll add a VHF/UHF unit. But you can't legally use a Ham rig on GMRS, so I'll use this on road trips with the family. Also, where I'm at there's traffic on GMRS Repeater 17 that I'd never hit with an HT.

Last edited:

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
Mine is mounted on the rear hatch... I just got a cheap VNA off of Amazon. I'll check the VSWR this weekend, time permitting. If it looks too ugly (>2:1) I may try moving it around.

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 20221026_141229

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is mounted on the rear hatch... I just got a cheap VNA off of Amazon. I'll check the VSWR this weekend, time permitting. If it looks too ugly (>2:1) I may try moving it around.

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 20221026_141229
just might explore the idea of the lip mount
ease of relocation and positioning options does look interesting

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667915562670

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667867237675

Concept
install mount for transceiver antenna
current favored location
passenger or driver side front quarter panel faux vent

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667868203998

Obstacles
lack of solid support
may develop means to "sandwich" existing material
inboard plate coupled with exterior hardware

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667940340762

Concept
Okay, here's where I'm at in planning prototype mount
material - flat stock aluminum, grounding strap
design - yellow as depicted
construct - configured as above, plus or minus 90 deg. bend at green arrow
adjusted to contour plastic piece
install - cut away upper lock tab in plastic faux vent enough to slide mount through removed tab section (yellow arrow) leaving antenna section on the outside of faux vent perpendicular to faux vent. secure in place by self tapping screw(s) through plastic into aluminum vertical flat stock.

impact minimal as faux vent is easy to replace if design proves to be a dud
appearance wise I think it's a winner
only visible mount section is small horizontal flat stock
cable routing at mount still in design phase

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667940340762

Concept
Okay, here's where I'm at in planning prototype mount
material - flat stock aluminum, grounding strap
design - yellow as depicted
construct - configured as above, plus or minus 90 deg. bend at green arrow
adjusted to contour plastic piece
install - cut away upper lock tab in plastic faux vent enough to slide mount through removed tab section (yellow arrow) leaving antenna section on the outside of faux vent perpendicular to faux vent. secure in place by self tapping screw(s) through plastic into aluminum vertical flat stock.

impact minimal as faux vent is easy to replace if design proves to be a dud
appearance wise I think it's a winner
only visible mount section is small horizontal flat stock
cable routing at mount still in design phase
almost there...........
added mount support (red dash)
bent at red dash line to form support against downward motion
added another fold to that triangular section to lay flat on plastic
hole (green arrow) for screw through plastic back into mount aluminum
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1667949822975

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Concept alterations
exploratory disassembly
removed plastic faux vent
back to drawing board
change in plans
mount will be similar in location but adjusted to field conditions as warranted

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668031259402

first trial run
all well until.........

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668031849687

so now back to the work bench
15 minutes later
learned from previous mistake
you only get one shot at the 90 degree bend
all smiles now
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668031503690

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Concept alterations
exploratory disassembly
removed plastic faux vent
back to drawing board
change in plans
mount will be similar in location but adjusted to field conditions as warranted

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668031259402

first trial run
all well until.........

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668031849687

so now back to the work bench
15 minutes later
learned from previous mistake
you only get one shot at the 90 degree bend
all smiles now
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668031503690
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668556440651

inboard side of faux vent with antenna mount
ground strap in view

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668556557960

outboard side of faux vent with antenna mount and ground strap

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668556637024

up and operational

derspion318

Big Bend
First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668556440651

ground strap in view

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668556557960

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1668556637024

up and operational

Sir, I'm going to need to purchase one of these from you with some instructions. This is perfect!

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 1687532736503

Last edited:

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB

ground strap in view

up and operational
Hey, NY vehicle.

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
I installed the radio in the glove box. I ran a Cat5 extender from the radio over to the center console and that's where I plug in the mic.

Ford Bronco Sport Transceiver Installation thread  (Ham, CB, GMRS). Radio unit and antenna installation on Bronco Sport 20221104_170526959_iOS

@SapphireCat (or anyone else doing similar things) - First off, thanks for your writeups on this and other things (e.g. fuse diagrams/etc). I wound up taking a nearly identical approach and they helped a lot.

However, I'm stymied by something really simple: How did you manage to get double-sided tape to stick to the material on the underside of the dash for the female RJ45/ethernet jack?

I've been having a heck of a time getting things to adhere and bond with the material/texture on the underside or sides of the dash there. I've been trying lots of cleaning with alcohol/etc, but am tempted to resort to a bit of sanding. However, I figured I'd ask before doing something as permanent as sanding the surface. I've tried 3m automotive tape, random other double-sided tape, command strips, and everything else I have around, but I always come out the next day to find it's fallen off overnight.
Sponsored