Trailer hitch -- Does the 4 pin trailer wiring come with the wiring hot?

Dperry285

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ford bronco sport
Does the 4 pin trailer wiring come with the wiring hot, I have a factory hitch, I know gm vehicles used to come from the factory with the trailer wiring unpowered, they put the fuse in a spare slot in the fuse box that you had to move to the hitch slot
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Hot as a pancake. Ready to tow, no waiting.

jamlot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Badlands
Maybe stating the obvious, but the wiring is "hot", but only for brake/signal lights. If you wanted to to add 12V power + brakes you would need to convert to 7 pin and make the other necessary changes (wire to battery for power. +brake controller, etc.)

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Maybe stating the obvious, but the wiring is "hot", but only for brake/signal lights. If you wanted to to add 12V power + brakes you would need to convert to 7 pin and make the other necessary changes (wire to battery for power. +brake controller, etc.)
I doubt however that a seven pin would ever be used on a BS, as that would indicate a heavy trailer or camper, as the hot lead in a seven pin is usually for electric brakes on the trailer or powering a fridge (in a camper).

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
7-pin will have separate pins for both trailer brakes and charging. Cheers!
Ford Bronco Sport Trailer hitch -- Does the 4 pin trailer wiring come with the wiring hot? 7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1

jamlot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt however that a seven pin would ever be used on a BS, as that would indicate a heavy trailer or camper, as the hot lead in a seven pin is usually for electric brakes on the trailer or powering a fridge (in a camper).
My teardrop trailer uses a 7 pin connector, which I tow with my BS Badlands. I had to install a 4 --> 7 pin adapter to connect. I don't have it wired for power or brakes though. Some day I'd like to wire up for 12v power, but I don't need brakes.

jamlot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
7-pin will have separate pins for both trailer brakes and charging. Cheers!
Ford Bronco Sport Trailer hitch -- Does the 4 pin trailer wiring come with the wiring hot? 7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-1
Correct, but if converting from 4 to 7 pin without also wiring the 12v power to the battery or installing a brake controller, you will only get Tail/Running Lights, Turn Signals/Brake lights through the plug. That is how mine is set up since my trailer has a 7 pin connector, but I don't need brakes and can get by without charging from the vehicle for the time being.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Correct, but if converting from 4 to 7 pin without also wiring the 12v power to the battery or installing a brake controller, you will only get Tail/Running Lights, Turn Signals/Brake lights through the plug.
You are correct. I just posted the diagram so others not familiar with normal wiring for a 7=pin connector would know. Cheers!

jamlot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct. I just posted the diagram so others not familiar with normal wiring for a 7=pin connector would know. Cheers!
Thanks for that! I had to figure all of this out a few months ago when I found out the trailer I was buying had a 7 pin connector and I only had the stock 4 pin on the vehicle. Hopefully that diagram helps others in the same situation!
Sponsored