kevino

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape
I just purchased a 2022 BS BL with the towing package (Bronco likely to arrive in 2 months or less). I asked
my salesman that I have had for years why, if the BS is on the same platform as the Escape and the 2.0L
turbo is the exact same, can I only tow 2200 lbs with the BS but I can tow 3500 lbs with my 2020 Escape?
I researched both vehicles and I know the BS is about 300 lbs heavier and it is boxier but that still shouldnÂŽt
explain a 1300 lb difference. Has anybody heard anything about this topic?
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
It’s because of the suspension. The same issue with the full-size. Only 3.5k for that version.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I just purchased a 2022 BS BL with the towing package (Bronco likely to arrive in 2 months or less).
If you put a custom order for a 2022 BS BL edition with extra options outside of the towing packaging, I'm pretty sure you can forget the 2 months or less unless you ordered it from another dealers lot in another state.

I ordered a Fully loaded BS BL edition with everything on it back in Early Feb and still waiting for my delivery.

Not to mention those still waiting since November of last year...

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
The Escape had less suspension travel by quite a bit. Even 1” is a bunch when we’re talking, short wheel base tall compact SUV.
The Bronco Sport sits higher by again quite a bit.
BUT
The real reason for such a low towing capacity is the spring rates. They are designed to move through the entire travel range with shocks designed to allow it to do this.
A 2,200 weight limit means at the hitch 220-240 pounds of trailer tongue weight. The suspension still has sufficient damping and the progressive springs will still control movement correctly.
A 3,000 pound weight would net you a needed tongue weight of 300-340 pounds.
There’s a song I remember, let me re write it a bit.
~~Headlights In the Sky~~
So if you were to ‘Lower’ the BS a bit and put stiffer springs that had a more even progressive rate AND most importantly change out the shocks to ones matched to the new springs you’d be able to safely pull a ton and a half

Hey !
Youz guys do know what ‘SUV’ stands for right ?
No not sport utility vehicle,,
It Stands for
Stupid Useless Vehicle.. :’D

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The Escape had less suspension travel by quite a bit. Even 1” is a bunch when we’re talking, short wheel base tall compact SUV.
BUT
The real reason for such a low towing capacity is the spring rates. They are designed to move through the entire travel range with shocks designed to allow it to do this.
A 2,200 weight limit means at the hitch 220-240 pounds of trailer tongue weight. The suspension still has sufficient damping and the progressive springs will still control movement correctly.
So if you were to ‘Lower’ the BS a bit and put stiffer springs that had a more even progressive rate AND most importantly change out the shocks to ones matched to the new springs you’d be able to safely pull a ton and a half

Hey !
It Stands for
Exactly. Except for the SUV part at the end. Same issue with the full size. If you want it to pull a 35’ trailer, get a truck. These suspensions were designed for off road, not towing.

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
BUT

Hey !
It Stands for
2200 tow is not what I expected. I think I will be selling as soon as I get it. I need to go weigh my boat and trailer.

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity at 2200 lbs? 20220619_160008

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
2200 tow is not what I expected. I think I will be selling as soon as I get it. I need to go weigh my boat and trailer.

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity at 2200 lbs? 20220619_160008
Nice looking boat!

I'm thinking of towing a jet ski and matching trailer with my BL at some point. I think that's just about max capacity probably if filled with fuel.

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
that trailer likely weighs about 500-600 lbs alone, boat(aluminum, but with console, likely benches round front) id put it at 1400 plus motor(200ish), fluids, life vests ect. 2200 is too limited. I'll trade you a canoe ive got for that boat you could still go fishing PLUS you can have the happy day when you get rid of your boat... lol

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Ive posted in other places, but this summer I towed a trailer w/ 2x4wheelers that was just under 2000lbs, up very gnarly terrain. It did great, got ~17mpg, but it did squat my rear over an inch and pushed my headlights up to the heavens. They are really easy to adjust tho, just turn the little white disk behind the headlight assembly. So it can do it, I just wouldnt do it often.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Ive posted in other places, but this summer I towed a trailer w/ 2x4wheelers that was just under 2000lbs, up very gnarly terrain. It did great, got ~17mpg, but it did squat my rear over an inch and pushed my headlights up to the heavens. They are really easy to adjust tho, just turn the little white disk behind the headlight assembly. So it can do it, I just wouldnt do it often.
Get some airbags

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
I wouldnt entertain towing anymore than a jet ski or a 6’ utility trailer with this thing. This is a SUB COMPACT CROSSOVER. We’re lucky it’s 2200 lbs
. It shouldn’t be that.

lots of vehicles can do lots of things they weren’t intended for. I could tow a trailer with my lawnmower too
.does great. Lol

its about weight and control and managing the load. Keeping it stable and STOPPING. you gonna adjust your headlights because it’s squatting? GTFO

and you share the road with other vehicles. reminds me of the landscapers back when I lived in Phoenix. You see them on I-10. No responsibity.

like someone said. Get a pickup

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Could always get a Maverick oh wait.... you won't get one until probably a full+ year from now lol.

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
I didn’t order the tow package, but IIRC it’s a class II hitch. Check the manual for maximum tongue weight vs tow weight. Or go buy a F150 and get 17 mpg all the time instead of 24-26 mpg.

Ford Bronco Sport Towing capacity at 2200 lbs? 6E2F12C4-25B9-4BC2-97A4-D7AF15772257
Sponsored