Towing Bronco Sport on a dolly

Tabbi Cat

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport
My question, I would like to tow my Bronco Sport behind a motorhome. I already have a dolly (front 2 wheels of Bronco would go on dolly)so I would remove the rear drive shaft and drive it as a 2 wheel drive for the summer. Dealer says the I can tow it this way but not drive it as it may cause an issue as everything has sensors and would 'detect ' a problem. Does anyone know if this would be an issue. I'm sure the dealer can't tell me to go ahead and do this.
Sponsored

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I’m pretty experienced towing vehicles behind an RV, but I think I would check the manual on this. My personal take is that you are asking for trouble.

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
From the owners manual:

Recreational Towing - All-Wheel and Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles (If Equipped)
You cannot recreational tow your vehicle with all wheels on the ground because vehicle or transmission damage could occur. We recommend towing your vehicle with all four wheels off the ground, such as when using a car-hauling trailer. Otherwise, you cannot recreational tow your vehicle.

Regardless of what the dealer tells you, the manufacturer says no.

seoden88

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Badlands
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS! Don't remove driveshaft and/or attempt to drive it in 2wd. Removing driveshaft would take quite some time. Even if you remove the driveshaft, the rear diff is still spinning. Warranty would immediately be voided.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Totally uneducated on this but, hypothetically is the badlands able to put the “transfer case” in true neutral and flat tow?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Totally uneducated on this but, hypothetically is the badlands able to put the “transfer case” in true neutral and flat tow?
As @jkeaton says, the manual has your answer. It says there is a manual available to professional towing companies with guidance on towing these vehicles.

For the owner, in the section on Roadside Emergencies:

Ford Bronco Sport Towing Bronco Sport on a dolly Towi

Towing an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle requires that all wheels be off the ground, such as using a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed equipment. This prevents damage to the transmission, all-wheel or four-wheel drive system and vehicle.
Do not let anyone tow your car. It must be transported on a flatbed or with dollies under all four wheels.

OP
OP

Tabbi Cat

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport
To be clear. I am not flat towing. I would remove the rear drive shaft(easy to remove) The Bronco would then be towed with the front wheels on a dolly. The question is can I drive it as a 2 wheel drive as I would not reinstall rear drive shaft until fall.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
To be clear. I am not flat towing. I would remove the rear drive shaft(easy to remove) The Bronco would then be towed with the front wheels on a dolly. The question is can I drive it as a 2 wheel drive as I would not reinstall rear drive shaft until fall.
Do you have a reason not to trust what your dealer told you?

jkeaton

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend / 2013 Escape Titanium
Again, the manufacturer and the dealer are saying no. But if you chose to go ahead, be aware anything happens, it's on you.

I do not know the answer to your actual question of can you drive it around with the rear driveshaft removed. My thoughts are it would drive the intelligent awd system bonkers.

Last edited:

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Just me, but with the potential for $$$ from damage caused by towing it on ground, one could probably almost pay for a car trailer to put it on. Cheers!

OP
OP

Tabbi Cat

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport
Again, the manufacturer and the dealer are saying no. But if you chose to go ahead, be aware anything happens, it's on you.

I do not know the answer to your actual question of can you drive it around with the rear driveshaft removed. My thoughts are it would drive the intelligent awd system bonkers.

I would buy a trailer but them I'm over the legal weight rating for the motorhome.
Dealer called me back with more info as to why I can't. He says that without resistance from the rear diff, the transfer case would spin at a very high rpm.
So now I know the reason.
Thanks for all reply.

OP
OP

Tabbi Cat

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco sport
would buy a trailer but them I'm over the legal weight rating for the motorhome.
Dealer called me back with more info as to why I can't. He says that without resistance from the rear diff, the transfer case would spin at a very high rpm.
Thanks for all reply.

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
would buy a trailer but them I'm over the legal weight rating for the motorhome.
Thanks for all reply.

what is the towing capacity of your camper. If you register for total combination weight and do not exceed towing capacity, buy a trailer.
Sponsored