Thoughts? Trade in an OB with no $ for mods for a base with $ for fun stuff?

epatnoudes

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I've never owned a truck, made mods, done Overlanding etc.

The more I learn, the more I want to get new wheels, tires, roof rack, and buy some camping gear. If I could break even on my Cactus Grey OB, would I be crazy to trade it in for a Carbonized Grey Base and have the funds to make the mods I really want? I love the CG color, but again other mods are more important and I could live with CG.

I live in Chicago (with really cold winters) and basically bought the OB for the leather and heated seats. I've recently learned aftermarket heated seats are very reasonable and could get custom leather seats later on when I have more money for that upgrade. Leather seats are lower on my priority list than the exterior mods.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Are there trade-offs that I'm not considering? Thanks in advance!

Ford Bronco Sport Thoughts? Trade in an OB with no $ for mods for a base with $ for fun stuff? IMG_20210710_001253_355
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I'd say drive a base first but the idea isn't crazy. Hardcore off-roaders essentially do just that. I'd argue every trim level is well equipped and will do what you need it to.
Personal needs are what they are. I am for the most part due east of you theoretically so I get the same -20 winter days every year. I've rarely used heated seats or wheels then again I shovel snow in shorts and a light jacket. I'm not OK ;) test drive one. I'd say selling the OB would be easy right now, maybe even on your own.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

The more I learn, the more I want to get new wheels, tires, roof rack, and buy some camping gear. If I could break even on my Cactus Grey OB, would I be crazy to trade it in for a Carbonized Grey Base and have the funds to make the mods I really want? I love the CG color, but again other mods are more important and I could live with CG.

I live in Chicago (with really cold winters) and basically bought the OB for the leather and heated seats. I've recently learned aftermarket heated seats are very reasonable and could get custom leather seats later on when I have more money for that upgrade. Leather seats are lower on my priority list than the exterior mods.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Are there trade-offs that I'm not considering? Thanks in advance!

Ford Bronco Sport Thoughts? Trade in an OB with no $ for mods for a base with $ for fun stuff? IMG_20210710_001253_355
Outer banks is comparable in price to a Badlands w/o the badlands package. Might be an easier swap and it comes with off road mods and a bigger engine.........
Good luck either way

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Drive one and see how it feels compared to what you're now familiar with. You give up a ton of little things that can't get added back in. Main one being the instrument cluster. The 8" screen is badass IMO and has a lot more space to show off the many, many warnings the vehicle throws. Lesser trims get a 6" that's a lot more... compact. The headlights will be different too, so try it at night if you can.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I’d just mod what you got.

I’m just playing devils advocate, no malice.
You’re going to get rid of a car with heated seats to buy a car without heated seats, and put heated seats in said car on top of the cost of more mods?
You’re not getting any upgrades of engine or goat modes.

Alfredo

Base
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco Sport

When I went to get my carbonized grey Base Bronco in April, the dealer only had a Big Bend in cactus grey. They convinced me to put some money down to hold it while I thought about it. I thought about it and I said to myself, look you've compromised enough throughout your life, get what you really want. And so I asked for a refund and went to another dealer 20 miles away who had plenty of inventory, and got exactly what I wanted, a Base model in carbonized grey and I haven't looked back since.
I'm not an off road enthusiast, my Base Bronco is what I would consider the City Slicker version and it fits the bill just right, it's got all I need, terrific looks, and some off road capabilities should I ever need it, not to mention that the base Bronco is not your run off the mill base model. No one puts base Bronco in the corner when it comes to looks. So my advise to you is to get what you really want and makes you happy, you'll sleep better.

Ford Bronco Sport Thoughts? Trade in an OB with no $ for mods for a base with $ for fun stuff? IMG_20210706_142845075

ImdaJesus

Big Bend
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Greetings from Chicago myself! I have the Big Bend bade version of it I'm in the process of looking at prices for roof racks. Tires and keeping the same wheels as well as a lift are all on my list. By chance where is that trail you are on?

OP
OP
epatnoudes

epatnoudes

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I’d just mod what you got.

I’m just playing devils advocate, no malice.
You’re going to get rid of a car with heated seats to buy a car without heated seats, and put heated seats in said car on top of the cost of more mods?
You’re not getting any upgrades of engine or goat modes.
The idea is that if I trade down to the base model, I would have $8-10K to personalize it however I want. With the OB model, it will take a good amount of time to sve the money I need to get new tires/wheels, roof rack, camping gear etc.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The idea is that if I trade down to the base model, I would have $8-10K to personalize it however I want. With the OB model, it will take a good amount of time to sve the money I need to get new tires/wheels, roof rack, camping gear etc.
Yeah I thought after I posted depending on the dollar amount it could be worth it I don’t think that in the area I’m in I would clear that much if I did the same, but if you would then I see your point.

vxarctic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You should make a list and budget out all the mods you want to do to figure out just how many you can get installed before breaking your budget. A good way to figure out if you actually come out ahead or not.

I have an Outerbanks, it'll probably take me a year to finish everything I want done to it. But in the grand scheme of things that's not very long. I got a bunch of accessories, cargo protector, bumper protector, cargo organizer, hood deflector, and just got my tint installed. I ordered the 4WP lift kit, and with any luck by the time it comes off back order I'll have enough to install it. Then it's saving up to get new rims and tires. After that is the fender flares and body side molding. Then maybe the rear spoiler.

OP
OP
epatnoudes

epatnoudes

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You should make a list and budget out all the mods you want to do to figure out just how many you can get installed before breaking your budget. A good way to figure out if you actually come out ahead or not.

I have an Outerbanks, it'll probably take me a year to finish everything I want done to it. But in the grand scheme of things that's not very long. I got a bunch of accessories, cargo protector, bumper protector, cargo organizer, hood deflector, and just got my tint installed. I ordered the 4WP lift kit, and with any luck by the time it comes off back order I'll have enough to install it. Then it's saving up to get new rims and tires. After that is the fender flares and body side molding. Then maybe the rear spoiler.
Good call. Would def be interesting to see and think about the trade-offs.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i have the base. and compared to the other trims, its effin base lol. but, i didnt really want all the do-dads and add-ons even tho they are neat. all i wanted was a base suv with awd. i got it, and wouldnt change a thing. base looks dope with the blacked grille and black lettering.
really go over the numbers, i’ve seen alot of people get crushed on trade-in values.
do whatever makes you happy and whatever helps you sleep at night.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Good points and I think @Alfredo nailed it. Get what YOU want. You can't go wrong. I WOULD look at what features you lose from OB to base, and honestly none of them might matter. I chose Badlands no trim package. Bones Badlands and big tires is all that mattered. Tow pack was nice but I would have taken it without. Get what YOU want and if you can better utilize the $8K on rims tires etc, the base would be great. Based on MuddyBoots blackbook results these are trading in 3-5K OVER MSRP

Durf

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
If it helps I sold my outer banks back to the dealer I bought it from for $2500 more than I paid $38700 then lucked into a first edition for $39800. It’s the badlands with better paint essentially

Rastassjt

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Are dealers really paying to buy these units back? Just curious on what everyone is seeing in here exactly?
Sponsored