Fire821

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Silver
I have a rust module but am not convinced they do much. The dealership suggested it for the massive warranty. I might get a spray rust proofing done - I likely won’t let them drill into a sealed body section because it is, wait for it, sealed, so rust cannot start there. Haven’t decided what to bother with.
I am used to VW cars which have the best rust warranty in the business so I never bothered.
I can say I would be pissed if a five year old car had surface rust. That is a sign of crap paint in my opinion. My Nissan had rust after one year (piece of crap) and my Honda after four (also a lump). Seven year old VW? Not a mark on it. Never rustproofed it. Toyotas and Subarus also rotted. Except for the Nissan and the Honda, they were reliable mechanically, but the bodies didn’t hold up (VWs excepted). This is my first Ford and judging by the number of rotten ones I have seen, doubling up on a spray is a good idea I think.
I live on the east coast of Canada and have had all my vehicles get rust proofing from the dealership. Never had a single issue. My Mazda was the only one that didn't get treated {bought in Alberta} and it started showing rust with in 2 years of getting out here. The salt in the air is far worse then the road salt and is year round.
The rust inhibiter modules are from the Shipping industry and make a huge difference with ships and rust. So id like to think that little blinking light under my hood is doing the same for my little Bronco.
Sponsored

tshaw03

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands/ 2018 Edge Titanium
Not meant as an insult, regular maintenance and particular care to those vulnerable areas helps just as much. Wash regularly, use a car wash with underbody spray in the winter, and use clean towels (not household family towels mind you lol) and wipe the bottoms of your doors and door trim/seals and door frame and that helps. Never had rust issues in wintery Michigan.
This right here. If you keep a good wash schedule, you really won't have to worry about rust. When it is snowy or icy here, I wash my vehicles twice a week.

OP
OP
CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This right here. If you keep a good wash schedule, you really won't have to worry about rust. When it is snowy or icy here, I wash my vehicles twice a week.
Washing is important, however as someone who doesn't have a garage to park my car in during the winter I often question when and in what temperature should I be washing the vehicle in during the winter. I always worry about the doors freezing and such.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I've never rustproofed a car...mind you never kept anything more than 5 years and never a spot of rust. My wifes Mazda is 8 years old and not a spot of rust. I wash my vehicles usually once a week in winter if needed........spray off door sills and under the door, spray out wheel wells too.

Fire821

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Silver
I've never rustproofed a car...mind you never kept anything more than 5 years and never a spot of rust. My wifes Mazda is 8 years old and not a spot of rust. I wash my vehicles usually once a week in winter if needed........spray off door sills and under the door, spray out wheel wells too.
I probably wouldn't if I still lived in the Peg either. Salt isn't really a issue there. Defiantly a block header and heated everything thou lol

nch5013

Big Bend
First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 KB Big Bend
aluminum is still prone to corrosion.
Depends on the alloy used and the environment. Typically aluminum requires high heat to sensitize to corrosion. It's more likely to build a "white rust" aluminum-oxide layer on the sheet first. And the oxidation actually increases corrosion resistance. I don't think you have to worry about that on these, to be honest.