Thoughts on rust proofing?

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on getting something like Krown rust proofing applied to their BS.

I never had it it done in my escape and did end up with some rust towards bottom of doors after 6 years time. Living in Canada we have alot of salt on the roads in the winters so I'm seriously considering it for my BS.

The thought of them drilling to apply it makes me nervous tho. Anyone have any thoughts or horror stories from something like Krown?
Sponsored

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
If done wrong it can make things worse. plugging door drain holes for example.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If done wrong it can make things worse. plugging door drain holes for example.
True. They will have to find a reputable shop who knows how to apply. I cut rust out of classic cars weld in new metal ect as a hobby. When I am done I spray on 3M Cavity Wax inside the body panels which coats the metal to prevent rust. Comes in spray can and you can get wands that spray 360 degrees for things like inside frame rails etc. I spray it inside the body of my project cars when the interior panels are removed before I put the cars back together again.

But like you say put too much on and clog drain holes it will make it worse yes. Also inside doors you don't want to get rust proofing on window lift mechanisms door latches ect.

OP
OP
CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
True. They will have to find a reputable shop who knows how to apply. I cut rust out of classic cars weld in new metal ect as a hobby. When I am done I spray on 3M Cavity Wax inside the body panels which coats the metal to prevent rust. Comes in spray can and you can get wands that spray 360 degrees for things like inside frame rails etc. I spray it inside the body of my project cars when the interior panels are removed before I put the cars back together again.

But like you say put too much on and clog drain holes it will make it worse yes. Also inside doors you don't want to get rust proofing on window lift mechanisms door latches ect.
Yeah, the Krown shop around here I've heard good things about reputation wise but still need to think it over.

The inside the door spray is definitely a concern for me especially as you noted with the window motor etc in there. Given they seem to just drill a hole and go in and blind spray, it makes me a little nervous. On the other hand everyone tells me how great Krown is so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

There's just a strange feeling about getting my new BS and taking it somewhere to have them drill holes and spray oil all over it lol....

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If I lived in canada I would prob have it done given the harsh winters.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
Rust proofing is kinda useless IMO

Minnesota is heavy on the road salt. Our 2013 Escape has 190k mi / 315k km. There's a little rust around the bottom edge of the driver door and little on the edge of the hood however no perforation. My old 2005 F150 at 250k mi/ 402k km when I got rid of it was getting a little rust around the rear wheel wells again but no perforation.

When doing these things you need to look carefully at the fine print - what the rust proofing actually covers and what's excluded, mileage/age limitation, and any deductible that applies. Also if you have a claim who is going to do the work and how many hoops do you have to jump through to get the claim paid.

Also consider how long you intend to keep the vehicle. 6-8 years you will probably not have a serious rust problem. If you do hang on to it longer 9-10+ years you may not care that much on a vehicle that old. You can always do a DIY repair on little surface rust. It may not look like a body shop job but hey it's an old car and it least you fixed it up a little.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
My detail guy said so much of the BS is high strength aluminum top and bottom that rust proofing is not a high priority.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Find a place that offers Fluid Film. Not likely to clog drain holes and if you try it yourself (messy, ask me how I know) it has a wand available to get into all the crevices and tight spaces. We have never drilled any of our vehicles that we have filmed. Going to hit the Sport in the fall. After looking underneath during my first oil change, I m not too worried about rust.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
You'll wait maybe 10 years to see some rust and by then it won't be the biggest issue.

Starduster

Big Bend
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on getting something like Krown rust proofing applied to their BS.

I never had it it done in my escape and did end up with some rust towards bottom of doors after 6 years time. Living in Canada we have alot of salt on the roads in the winters so I'm seriously considering it for my BS.

The thought of them drilling to apply it makes me nervous tho. Anyone have any thoughts or horror stories from something like Krown?
Ii swea

I swear by Krown. It is good to keep moisture out of electronics, helps on maintenance ( i.e. rusted bolts) and rust protection. If you plan on keeping Bronco a while then yes it's worth it. I'm getting mine done.

eastcoastbroncosport

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had mine Krown coated back in January. The frame was damaged in the process (and they neglected to tell me, so I found it a week later when I opened my rear passenger door for the first time since it was done...), and it required some metal work and a fair sized area painted, but it looks as good as new now :whew:

Ford Bronco Sport Thoughts on rust proofing? IMG_8447.JPG

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
in my area we have ā€˜Mingā€™ and swear by it. my last car, a 2015 civic si, had one of those electronic rust immobilizers, and after 5 years of winters, there was barely any surface rusts / flaking

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Not meant as an insult, regular maintenance and particular care to those vulnerable areas helps just as much. Wash regularly, use a car wash with underbody spray in the winter, and use clean towels (not household family towels mind you lol) and wipe the bottoms of your doors and door trim/seals and door frame and that helps. Never had rust issues in wintery Michigan.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
I have a rust module but am not convinced they do much. The dealership suggested it for the massive warranty. I might get a spray rust proofing done - I likely wonā€™t let them drill into a sealed body section because it is, wait for it, sealed, so rust cannot start there. Havenā€™t decided what to bother with.
I am used to VW cars which have the best rust warranty in the business so I never bothered.
I can say I would be pissed if a five year old car had surface rust. That is a sign of crap paint in my opinion. My Nissan had rust after one year (piece of crap) and my Honda after four (also a lump). Seven year old VW? Not a mark on it. Never rustproofed it. Toyotas and Subarus also rotted. Except for the Nissan and the Honda, they were reliable mechanically, but the bodies didnā€™t hold up (VWs excepted). This is my first Ford and judging by the number of rotten ones I have seen, doubling up on a spray is a good idea I think.
Sponsored