MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Not gonna lie, I kinda wish for such a beast here!

Maybe I’d better explain as I’m sure in N.America Ford would only have the Bronco as its sole T6 platform SUV alongside the Ranger. But as awesome as removable roofs are, this far north, they’d come off too infrequently.

I still see a market for, well a 4-runner type SUV. Midsize truck platform to build off of but in a more wagon-y body style. But not quite the family wagon that the explorer is, as nice as those are.

I could really only see this though if the Ranger was enough of a success, like Tacoma success, to warrant its own plant on this side of the pond, having 2 T6 based plants. I assume the current Michigan Assembly is maxed with trying to produce the Bronco as well as the Ranger.

Last edited:

wessermgm

Big Bend
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 SCrew; 2023 BS BB Silver

Maybe I’d better explain as I’m sure in N.America Ford would only have the Bronco as its sole T6 platform SUV alongside the Ranger. But as awesome as removable roofs are, this far north, they’d come off too infrequently.

I still see a market for, well a 4-runner type SUV. Midsize truck platform to build off of but in a more wagon-y body style. But not quite the family wagon that the explorer is, as nice as those are.

I could really only see this though if the Ranger was enough of a success, like Tacoma success, to warrant its own plant on this side of the pond, having 2 T6 based plants. I assume the current Michigan Assembly is maxed with trying to produce the Bronco as well as the Ranger.
It is possible for Ford to actually import some of those over here. Not every Nissan and Toyota is made in North America, a fair number are still imported. I assume that they would have to navigate some issues with UAW, but they could test the market to see if there was interest. If so, they could retool a plant to make these. It seems a shame that Ford customers cannot get access to everything Ford makes.

Reactions: MJE

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
It is possible for Ford to actually import some of those over here. Not every Nissan and Toyota is made in North America, a fair number are still imported. I assume that they would have to navigate some issues with UAW, but they could test the market to see if there was interest. If so, they could retool a plant to make these. It seems a shame that Ford customers cannot get access to everything Ford makes.
I always think that we can’t have nice things here with that import tax. But IIRC that’s only pickup trucks, SUV’s should be fine.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't know why anyone would want a diesel offroad vehicle with the price of fuel and extra maintenance. The turbo ICE engines make all the torque needed. Don't think there is any significant demand for those vehicles in America.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
As much as I liked my Silverado with it's Duramax diesel, the fuel costs made it way to expensive to operate on a daily basis. No more diesels for me.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Ford is totally pre-occupied with electrics for the moment. I don't see many new ICE models on the immediate future. Being green and woke seems to be the mantra of American corporations. But we are seeing some blowback recently.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Ford is totally pre-occupied with electrics for the moment. I don't see many new ICE models on the immediate future. Being green and woke seems to be the mantra of American corporations. But we are seeing some blowback recently.
Corporations just go where the money is. They don't really care about social justice or the environment. We are all cogs in a capitalist machine.
But I'd rather have a diesel than an EV. At least you have biodiesel instead of lithium mining.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
As much as I liked my Silverado with it's Duramax diesel, the fuel costs made it way to expensive to operate on a daily basis. No more diesels for me.
Are the fuel, and maintenance, costs that much more? On a straight mpg basis a buddy of mine seems to match my highway mileage in the BS with his Silverado diesel, which seems impressive to me.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I just can’t see electrics as being the wave of the future or the only path forward, despite being the favored choice of government. There’s not enough range, not nearly enough charging stations (none in the middle of nowhere), and the cost is too high for what you get (yes all vehicles are expensive nowadays). All to claim zero emissions at the tailpipe (not elsewhere) while having precious metals mined to make batteries, often less ethically than oil. But then little in the modern world makes sense to me.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Are the fuel, and maintenance, costs that much more? On a straight mpg basis a buddy of mine seems to match my highway mileage in the BS with his Silverado diesel, which seems impressive to me.
Mine was a 2500 6.6 liter. It would pull a house off of its foundation, but at today's prices for diesel fuel, yes, way too much truck for my needs now. I used to pull a large camper, but sold that and bought a class C camper.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Corporations just go where the money is. They don't really care about social justice or the environment. We are all cogs in a capitalist machine.
But I'd rather have a diesel than an EV. At least you have biodiesel instead of lithium mining.
Ford is losing billions on their EV's. They are going to have to make a higher profit on high end trucks and SUV's to maintain their woke appearance. Doesn't it make you feel good that your Ford purchase supports wokeness?

Last edited:

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just can’t see electrics as being the wave of the future or the only path forward, despite being the favored choice of government. There’s not enough range, not nearly enough charging stations (none in the middle of nowhere), and the cost is too high for what you get (yes all vehicles are expensive nowadays). All to claim zero emissions at the tailpipe (not elsewhere) while having precious metals mined to make batteries, often less ethically than oil. But then little in the modern world makes sense to me.
Don't forget that mostly fossil fuels generate the electricity.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Doesn't it make you feel good that your Ford purchase supports wokeness?
No, but it does give me ammunition when someone questions my commitment to preserving the environment. I can tell them I'm subsidizing the green revolution.
Sponsored