LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2014 Escape, 2022 Tri Glide
I ran across a company named Rigid Armor that makes Tire Carriers for eveverything but Fords ☹ The one they make for the Subaru looks really sweet. So, I reached out and asked if they have plans for a BS version... As you can see, it sounds like they are open to prototyping one up. If there's anyone out in the Sante Fe Springs, CA area interested in a hitch mount tire carrier, it may be worth the drive for you.

If they start selling these for the BS... I'd likely buy one. How 'bout you?

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS image-asset
Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS Screenshot 2023-01-26 141938
Sponsored

OP
OP
LazyDirtFarmer

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I would only have the one spare, mounted on the carrier. Aside from looking cool... I would like to free up the additional storage space where the spare is. Some folks put their spare up on their Roof Rack to achive this.

I have a full-size spare, and the available space is already packed with stuff. I'd like to put my shovel, a bottle jack and come-along out of sight. Also, with the full size spare removed, the Deck can be lowered to have a bit more room in the back cargo area.

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS 20221007_164526

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Personally, I would only have the one spare, mounted on the carrier. Aside from looking cool... I would like to free up the additional storage space where the spare is. Some folks put their spare up on their Roof Rack to achive this.

I have a full-size spare, and the available space is already packed with stuff. I'd like to put my shovel, a bottle jack and come-along out of sight. Also, with the full size spare removed, the Deck can be lowered to have a bit more room in the back cargo area.

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS 20221007_164526
Flip the tire over and you can pack some more stuff in there.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
Why, do people suggest having 2 spares? Easier to get to if you have back stuffed?
Depends on what I'm doing and where I'm going. Sometimes the rocks in our mountains here can be damn hard on tires. Usually take a minimum of two. When I ran hounds on bear and cougar I always took four spares. Couple times I needed a 5th one.

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I’ve been looking into trying to get a rear bumper mounted swing away opposed to a hitch mount swing away spare.
Based on body style and measurements, the Hummer H2 swing away spare mount is the best option I can find that, based on measurements and lift gate clearance need, will work. Or late 90’s Chevy Blazer swing away.
The only issue is that I can’t seem to find a proper breakdown of the rear bumper/bumper cover/structural build of the BS in order to verify mounting points for the swing away rack. I can’t even find a proper tear down in order to remove my rear bumper to investigate myself.

OP
OP
LazyDirtFarmer

LazyDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does this help?

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS Screenshot 2023-01-30 055259

Maybe there's a way to mout to the Impact Bar... everything else is made out of plastic

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS Screenshot 2023-01-30 055734

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Heres a rear tire mount setup
Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS received_856791415553531

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I ran across a company named Rigid Armor that makes Tire Carriers for eveverything but Fords ☹ The one they make for the Subaru looks really sweet. So, I reached out and asked if they have plans for a BS version... As you can see, it sounds like they are open to prototyping one up. If there's anyone out in the Sante Fe Springs, CA area interested in a hitch mount tire carrier, it may be worth the drive for you.

If they start selling these for the BS... I'd likely buy one. How 'bout you?

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS image-asset
Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS Screenshot 2023-01-26 141938
Considering that I open the rear tailgate hatch almost every day, it would seem like too much of a hassle. Also negates use of backup camera and requires movement of license plate. Looks cool but impractical.

Pmk1710

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Does this help?

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS Screenshot 2023-01-30 055259

Maybe there's a way to mout to the Impact Bar... everything else is made out of plastic

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Tire Carrier for BS Screenshot 2023-01-30 055734
That’s the only breakdown I’ve found too. It kinda helps. I’ve also been looking for the actual tear down step by step so I can actually see the impact bar.

After all I went through with trying to wire AUX lighting and the nightmare of getting to the battery, I have found that the simple method of “unscrew everything and pull what’s loose” isn’t the method I want to take.

But based on this image, I’m thinking of needing to fabricate a mount that would slide over the impact bar so it mounts behind it with the same mount holes, then have it extend out into some cutouts in the rear plastic cover.

I just need to see how wide the impact bar is in order to see if it’s wider than the lift gate. If it’s wider, then I’m golden. The lift gate won’t hit the swing arm or locking post
Sponsored