First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone found a kit that will do this? I would like to free up some cabin space for storage.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
compass crusher

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
OP
OP
compass crusher

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't think any of the Rig'd harnesses would work.

There's a photo in the rear camera washer DIY thread that shows the rear camera connector. It's a single row, six pin connector. You'd need a harness that matches the connector on the camera. All of the Rig'd harness connectors appear to be female, but the camera is male.

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Spare: Relocating The Rear Camera 20210730_143923

Image credit: @HugeGuyTheory (from his linked thread, above)

This appears to be the connector that mates with camera, so this is what the relocated camera harness would need to plug in to.

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Spare: Relocating The Rear Camera FindPigtails-Connector-SKU-R65B6

OP
OP
compass crusher

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

There's a photo in the rear camera washer DIY thread that shows the rear camera connector. It's a single row, six pin connector. You'd need a harness that matches the connector on the camera. All of the Rig'd harness connectors appear to be female, but the camera is male.

This appears to be the connector that mates with camera, so this is what the relocated camera harness would need to plug in to.

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Spare: Relocating The Rear Camera FindPigtails-Connector-SKU-R65B6
So I need a relocating harness with male connectors? Hmmm?

The whole reason I'm going through all this trouble is that I want to continue to utilize the middle console screen for backing up. Otherwise, I could use my rear dash cam but the screen is tiny and the sensors aren't as integrated.

I feel like it would be a huge waste to not use the larger monitor and it's not as safe reversing.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I need a relocating harness with male connectors? Hmmm?

The whole reason I'm going through all this trouble is that I want to continue to utilize the middle console screen for backing up. Otherwise, I could use my rear dash cam but the screen is tiny and the sensors aren't as integrated.

I feel like it would be a huge waste to not use the larger monitor and it's not as safe reversing.
I've been thinking about this a lot since my post above, because I feel the same way you do. I want to have a backup camera when I'm carrying a spare or my mountain bikes or whatever, but I want to use the factory screen.

I can't find anywhere to buy those connectors. I can find miscellaneous harnesses that have the connector that mates to the camera, but not a loose version of the camera connector. That bit is important.

What I want to do is build a harness that goes between the factory harness and the backup camera that includes a second branch that mates to an auxillary backup camera. The harness would have a quad 2:1 multiplexer (or maybe two, since the connector is a 6-pin) and probably a microcontroller that feeds a switching signal to the multiplexer(s) based on load or continuity in one of the circuits on the auxillary backup camera branch. Plug in auxillary backup camera and the camera feed switches to that camera. Unplug it and it switches back to the factory camera.

To achieve this, I think I'd have to chop the factory harness (unless I can find those factory harness/camera connectors somewhere), wire in a suitable COTS connector, fab a harness using the mating COTS connector that then feeds into the multiplexer, then make one branch from the multiplexer to the OEM camera using the chopped off connector, then add another branch for the auxillary camera.

Does anyone, by chance, have a wiring or pinout diagram for the backup camera?

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
I've been thinking about this a lot since my post above, because I feel the same way you do. I want to have a backup camera when I'm carrying a spare or my mountain bikes or whatever, but I want to use the factory screen.

I can't find anywhere to buy those connectors. I can find miscellaneous harnesses that have the connector that mates to the camera, but not a loose version of the camera connector. That bit is important.

What I want to do is build a harness that goes between the factory harness and the backup camera that includes a second branch that mates to an auxillary backup camera. The harness would have a quad 2:1 multiplexer (or maybe two, since the connector is a 6-pin) and probably a microcontroller that feeds a switching signal to the multiplexer(s) based on load or continuity in one of the circuits on the auxillary backup camera branch. Plug in auxillary backup camera and the camera feed switches to that camera. Unplug it and it switches back to the factory camera.

To achieve this, I think I'd have to chop the factory harness (unless I can find those factory harness/camera connectors somewhere), wire in a suitable COTS connector, fab a harness using the mating COTS connector that then feeds into the multiplexer, then make one branch from the multiplexer to the OEM camera using the chopped off connector, then add another branch for the auxillary camera.

Does anyone, by chance, have a wiring or pinout diagram for the backup camera?
I did this on my wife’s grandfather’s 2016 f250. He would pull a fifth wheel camper and put on one of those aftermarket tailgate with the cut out for the camper hitch. So I ordered the harness from the dealership and cut it spliced in a after market camera ,to view him hitching up camper. So when he would go back yo the original tailgate, we would unplug harness and plug in original camera on tailgate, still working 6 years later.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I did this on my wife’s grandfather’s 2016 f250. He would pull a fifth wheel camper and put on one of those aftermarket tailgate with the cut out for the camper hitch. So I ordered the harness from the dealership and cut it spliced in a after market camera ,to view him hitching up camper. So when he would go back yo the original tailgate, we would unplug harness and plug in original camera on tailgate, still working 6 years later.
Nice, you hooked him up! Was the connector up under the bed just above the edge of the spare? I've seen pics of F-150s with a connector there. That'd be great. It's a shame our connector is buried under trim and stuff. But it does make me wonder if there's another, more accessible connection somewhere... If there was, there wouldn't be a need for the multiplexer. That would obviously simplify things, but also make it cheaper and more reliable.

OP
OP
compass crusher

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nice, you hooked him up! Was the connector up under the bed just above the edge of the spare? I've seen pics of F-150s with a connector there. That'd be great. It's a shame our connector is buried under trim and stuff. But it does make me wonder if there's another, more accessible connection somewhere... If there was, there wouldn't be a need for the multiplexer. That would obviously simplify things, but also make it cheaper and more reliable.
I'm very interested in what we come up with here?. Looks like we're in the hunt for a wiring or pinout diagram for the back up camera.

Adam06

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big bend
It was located behind the bumper next to the spare

My42waffles

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 f150 21 bronco sport

I didn’t see it mentioned yet so I thought I would for future reference. That would seem to be wpt1280. Can be found on eBay with and without pre crimped wires for $15.

OP
OP
compass crusher

compass crusher

Big Bend
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I reached out to Brand Motion & Anytime Back Up to see if they have any clue. They wrote me this.....
Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Spare: Relocating The Rear Camera Screenshot_20220322-125910_Gmail

There's certainly no kit out on the market yet. Wish there was a plug a play truck hack.

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I didn’t see it mentioned yet so I thought I would for future reference. That would seem to be wpt1280. Can be found on eBay with and without pre crimped wires for $15.
Thanks for sharing that PN, I had found some buy options but not any priced as low as the one you shared. Can you find the mating connector? I haven't been able to find one that isn't physically part of the OEM backup camera.

BSoftRoader

Badlands
First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco sport
Hey all, I would suggest you email Brand motion. Below is the response I recieved a few days ago. I’m assuming the more interest there is the more likely they are to put it into production!

Ford Bronco Sport Swing Away Spare: Relocating The Rear Camera F0825B4D-8ABE-44D8-A642-101511D94F60
Sponsored