Suddenly feeling stuck between BS OB vs BS BL!!

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered Bronco Sport... now waiting...
After researching between the bronco sport models I decided it would be best for me to get the BS BL instead of the BS OB. I only have 2 concerns about getting BS BL.

#1 Concerned about the BS BL gas mileage!!! .... it seems I will get much better MPG in the BS OB?
#2 I REALLY hate the ebony/roast seats on the BS BL has. I prefer the navy/pier seats the BS OB has.

The above reasons made me originally want the BS OB but I REALLY hate the grille on the BS OB. Whereas I love the grille on the BS BL.

So I called to see how much it would cost to for me to buy BS BL grille and put it onto the BS OB. It would cost $676 just to buy the BS BL grille and that does not even include painting it and then installing it onto the BS OB they said. They also said the camera functions might be "messed up and not work" right if I place a BS BL grille onto the BS OB. I have no idea if this is true.

I have no idea what to do now. Feeling like an idiot here... nothing new here!

PS: ... I'm only going to be doing light off-roading... so I know it's stupid for me to focus on BS BL. If I'm not going to keep the bronco sport for 10 years... in about 3 or 4 years I MIGHT trade-in the bronco sport for the big bronco (2 door). So I wonder if the BS BL will hold value more than the BS OB?
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
#1 Sad but true.
#2 Don't get the premium package and you won't have the ebony/roast seats.
Also to consider, it is believed the scheduling of BL takes longer.

OP
OP
tropical2022

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I know for what I actually need the BS OB is it... but I definitely don't want fabric seats. I actually prefer vinyl seats... and I would be getting seat covers so I guess it doesn't matter what color/material the seats are in the bronco sport.

... but won't the resale value be higher for the BS BL than the BS OB and with NO fabric seats? Feeling like an idiot here because I was just about to order the BS BL... now I'm stuck between the two!

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have an Outer Banks and love it. Yes there is the feeling of having a 3 cylinder vs 4 that I’m getting used to. However, this isn’t the first 3 cylinder Ford put out. I have 1.5” lift and 30 inch all terrains and I get about 24.5 mpg and it is rated at 28 I believe. So if gas mileage is a big concern I would wait to see what people say about their real world mpg on Badlands. My Outer Banks also has the roast color inside, I like it as it matches some other metallic trim on the door and dash. Outer Banks is definitely geared to be viewed as a more “stylish” ride with 18” wheels, wireless charging, and moon roof options. I feel similar as I too have wanted to upgrade to Badlands grille. The camera issue they referenced is because Badlands has a front camera in the grille. At the end of the day for me, I am happy with my Outer Banks because of the options I have are more aligned for my everyday use. And the extra money for the off road capabilities while nice would mostly go unused for me. I know my response sounds wishy-washy but just think about your daily use and try to make the best decision on what’s practical for you, sounds like mpg is important. Whatever you decide, you’ll have fun

OP
OP
tropical2022

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all replies.

GulfCoastBronc

I see the roast seats in the BS OB is nicer looking than the roast seats in the BS BL.

The main thing holding me back from wanting the BS OB is... now I know this sound really stupid... but I really hate the grille on the BS OB! ? I LOVE the grille on the BS BL :thumbsup: . I think right now the BS OB has what I need... so maybe I need to just live with it and then maye in a few years I can trade it in for the 2 door big bronco when I can afford it more.... and then I'll get the grille I want. I know it's just a grille but IMO it makes such a huge difference.

This is driving me nuts still not 100% sure which to choose :frown:

PS: my current leased car expires this year in Nov so I can't wait much longer. I have to order the bronco sport soon... or I'll end up with no car. In several yrs I wish to get the below bronco... I have never test driven one though LOL it just looks so cool. It's way more car than I would EVER need. Oh well.

Ford Bronco Sport Suddenly feeling stuck between BS OB vs BS BL!! cool

Last edited:

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I too went down this road about a year ago, but after driving the OB and realizing it has extra creature comforts I want it was easy. I do some off road, I'm not scaling rock faces and it handles well at everything I've thrown at it. When out with the big trucks they always are blown away it's just a 3cyl. Get what makes you happy, not because of what other people say.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
After researching between the bronco sport models I decided it would be best for me to get the BS BL instead of the BS OB. I only have 2 concerns about getting BS BL.

#1 Concerned about the BS BL gas mileage!!! .... it seems I will get much better MPG in the BS OB?
#2 I REALLY hate the ebony/roast seats on the BS BL has. I prefer the navy/pier seats the BS OB has.

The above reasons made me originally want the BS OB but I REALLY hate the grille on the BS OB. Whereas I love the grille on the BS BL.

So I called to see how much it would cost to for me to buy BS BL grille and put it onto the BS OB. It would cost $676 just to buy the BS BL grille and that does not even include painting it and then installing it onto the BS OB they said. They also said the camera functions might be "messed up and not work" right if I place a BS BL grille onto the BS OB. I have no idea if this is true.

PS: ... I'm only going to be doing light off-roading... so I know it's stupid for me to focus on BS BL. If I'm not going to keep the bronco sport for 10 years... in about 3 or 4 years I MIGHT trade-in the bronco sport for the big bronco (2 door). So I wonder if the BS BL will hold value more than the BS OB?
Yeah, the main charge for the BL grill is that camera, which won't even work as it won't be wired up.

rootdoc

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
cost benefit analysis and needs sure seem like you belong in the BS OB. Those are the reasons I chose the BS BB.
The 2 dr Bronco looks so much cooler than the 4 dr Bronco. IMO.

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
I bought a BL purely for the extra HP and resale/trade-in value down the road. I'll never use it to its full potential but like having the option if I want to get adventurous.

tifpwg

Outer Banks
First Name
Tif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I went back and forth between the OB and BL too. I typically go for the top of the model choices.

I'm not going off-roading but I did want the bigger engine. This may sound silly but I could not accept the ugly 17 inch rims on the BL so I went with the OB. Since I'm leasing the BS, I wasn't going to buy new rims.

I think you have the option between the roast and pier seats depending on the colors. But maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
We originally ordered a OB. 1 day later switched the order to a Badlands.
1. Mileage is not that much better on the 1.5L, but performance is way nicer on the 2.0L.

Interior we were on the opposite spectrum. We liked the roast interior on the OB, and when I saw the BL comes with a even better fitted leather of same color scheme, it became a no brainer. And you can get the BL premium for about $1000 more than the OB the way we had it equipped.

OP
OP
tropical2022

tropical2022

Badlands
First Name
Tropical
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I know the BS OB is plenty for what I need but I cannot get over how much I dislike the grille on the BS OB. I also love that the BS BL has No carpet and I can get the roof in carbonized gray (the roof color I don't really care about but the grille I do).

The sales guy told me that the egg-crate stye grille is a nightmare to keep clean because you will have to scrape out dead bugs etc in between each cell. Is it really that bad though? I really like how the egg-crate style grille looks like over the grille on the BS OB...

PS:
tifpwg
With the BS BL you are forced to have either the ebony/roast leather seats or fabric. If you don't want fabric then you are forced to get the ebony/roast leather seats. With the BS OB you can have either the ebony/roast or the navy/pier... but not on the BS BL unfortunately... you only have one choice, unless you want fabric seats which I don't...

The ebony/roast seats in the BS OB looks nice... but the ebony/roast seats in the BS BL is not the same... it is different and not as nice. They really did put nicer seats inside the BS OB than all the other BS models.

Ford Bronco Sport Suddenly feeling stuck between BS OB vs BS BL!! egg-crate-grille

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/color-matched-grille.5022/
Does this type of modification provide any ideas for potentially improving the OB grill for you?

Honestly the OB is all I need as I don’t intend any off-roading. I mean gravel/logging roads sure, but that’s not even the primary use. I do really like the ebony/roast interior in the BL though, so that was a positive for me rather than a negative.

My use case is a car I can get paid off & enjoy for a decade or more. If I had money I could certainly have gone full-size, but I still wasn’t completely budget constrained so the bit of extra cost of the BL also wasn’t a factor for me. But when I submitted my order I ultimately decided on the BL for a few reasons:

1. Steelies: Between those & the gray roof for a two tone look, the whole thing gives off a much more vintage vibe which I loved. The OB however with it’s black rims & roof looks the part of a more modern vehicle.

2. Front Camera: This should be optional, along with front parking sensors, on every trim. Since it isn’t, my anxieties over driving were enough to get me to choose the camera should I find myself in a tight spot to get out of in the city.

3. 2.0: Yes, it’s rated a couple MPG lower than the OB, which added up over a couple hundred thousand of useful vehicle life isn’t actually an insignificant cost. But I was willing to endure that little bit less economy to ensure I had all the power I’d ever need.

4. Small Features: I’m in Canada, so things like the rain sensing wipers & deicers & such come standard on even the base model. So I didn’t have to think about what I’m giving up vs. an OB, the only ‘small’ feature I had to give up was ambient lighting. I was ok with that.

5. Rubber Floor. Oddly enough, this really is a feature for me even without off-roading. I have a dog and every Ford fabric, seats & carpet, are made of absolute Velcro for dog hair. The rubber floor might actually help keep the vehicle somewhat clean.

Still I wish they’d just package the BL with absolutely everything the OB has. Including a blue version of the upscale interior not unlike the FE, even if I do favor the brown.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
So I get the interior thing to a certain extent. My wife really doesn't like the brown but we require dual climate controls and it's only avail on the prem package with the roast seats. However In the BL you're paying $2200+ to get that, when you mentioned you could just swap the grille for $600 with the OB. We chose BL and LOVE IT, but plan on using it off road (family farm, camping etc) fairly regularly so it made sense for us.
Sponsored