MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Hi all, I mounted some snow tires this week and want to pass along some information that might be useful. I was able to re-use an extra set of 17" wheels we had for our 2012 Focus Titanium. Note that other Focus models came standard with 16", or could be ordered with 18" optional wheels, so if you go this route, be sure of what size you are planning to use or get. I believe some Escape wheels are also the same size as Focus, but please do your homework to confirm rather than take my word for it. .

The Focus wheels I have are the same size as our 2022 Badlands wheels (17x7), same 5x108 lug pattern, and have the same hub bore. The offset is different - Badlands wheels are marked (-)37.6mm while the Focus wheels are (-)50mm. This means an additional -12.4mm offset (slightly less than 1/2"), which tucks the wheels a bit further inside the wheel wells. In my mind this is not a bad thing for winter tires, by helping keep sand and rock chips at bay.

I am running 235/65-17 Nokain Hakkapellitta studded tires and do not have any clearance or rubbing problems. However the inside forward edge of the driver's side front tire gets close (less than 1/2") from rubbing the fender liner at full turn. There is a slight bulge in the fender liner at that location so if you plan to run 245's or larger on Focus (or other, i.e. Escape, etc.) wheels with -50mm offset, they may rub slightly. Based on this, I also doubt that optional 18x8 versions would work if they are the same -50mm offset.

Also, thanks to @wilbur_xmas who mentioned it in their post, I can confirm that the TPMS sensors ordered from Tire Rack work without additional programming. The sensors I received are part number S163, which are Schrader #20452, and were $27/each when I ordered. I went this route as the local tire shop wanted $60/each for their programmable sensors.

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) PXL_20211227_235534156

Focus on left, Badlands on right.
Fitments below:
Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) PXL_20211227_234938792

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) PXL_20211228_004428532

Badlands offset:
Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) PXL_20211228_000105165

Focus offset:
Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) PXL_20211228_004550327

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) PXL_20211228_190657408

Hopefully this is helpful for those looking for an extra set of wheels for winter use, or whatever other use you have in mind. While I would've preferred a set of the optional BL 'Steelies', but these look good and saved us the additional time and cost of finding another set. It may be a while before BS sets are readily available at a reasonable cost.
Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Looks great plus studs! Boy, I really miss those. I just wrecked my wife’s HRV going around a corner and hit black ice. Did 3.5k worth of damage to the suspension. Only thing that would have helped would have been studded tires but they have been outlawed here for 50 years or so.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i think it looks awesome tbh. thanks for sharing.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Dumb ?,
Why didn’t you take the TP sensors off your Badlands wheels and use them ?

OP
OP
MaxVelocity

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Dumb ?,
Why didn’t you take the TP sensors off your Badlands wheels and use them ?
Because my BL wheels still have the AT tires mounted for summer use.

Area51

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’21 Badlands, ’08 Ranger 4x4, ’16 Focus ST
What a great idea.

gavin28x

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I did a cursory google search and didnt really find it yet, but is there a specific procedure for getting it to recognize the new set of TPMS? I got rid of my Stock tires, and got winters on the stock rims, and am now getting new rims / AT's for summer with the Tirerack TMPS. Just wanted to see what I needed to do to get the Sport to see the new ones and not the old ones.

OP
OP
MaxVelocity

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
So I did a cursory google search and didnt really find it yet, but is there a specific procedure for getting it to recognize the new set of TPMS? I got rid of my Stock tires, and got winters on the stock rims, and am now getting new rims / AT's for summer with the Tirerack TMPS. Just wanted to see what I needed to do to get the Sport to see the new ones and not the old ones.
I did not have to do anything, the new TPMS sensors were automatically recognized.

OP
OP
MaxVelocity

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I purchased extra sensors for our 2012 Focus and never had to do anything with those either.

Mountainbiker

Big Bend
First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition, Ford Bronco Sport 2023
Thanks for your hints. I just replaced the BB 18" rims and Michelin 225 street tires and fitted 17" rims and Falken Wildpeak AT 235/65 R 17 tires. The new rims had the original sensor valves from the previous 2022 owner. Just after installing the new ones it seemed to work just fine and they had been correctly recognized, However, after 20 miles I got aTPMS error message. I stopped the Sport, waited a while and started it again and the message continued. I did that again at home and I could get a reading of tire pressure indicating 29 on one tire and -- on the other three. Today, with 10°F it started Ok and no message appeared, but low pressure was indicated on all four tires...26 even. I will get the compressor from my Ford Expedition...

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) Factory Michelin tires

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) New Wheels and tires

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) new rims and tires

Ford Bronco Sport Studded winter tires on Focus wheels installed (on Velocity Blue Bronco Sport) Resultado
Sponsored